Brexit

Cheshire East! I will be eating my hat and buying a round of mojitos. GDI!

Still a fair bit of London and the home counties to come, but also Leeds , Bradford, Northumberland ( :ponder: ), Derbyshire and east England districts.

Nige is going to be intolerable…

When this dinosaur was last in Europe there was the British Pound, the French Franc, Swiss franc, Italian Lira, etc.

I quite liked Europe being many countries.

It’s done. Brexit!

Questionable choice of celebration by BoJo caricature on guardian live ticker.

Yeah. I suppose they think it is so terribly clever and ironic. The Guardian are partially responsible with their sneery coverage.

Jolly old England just shot herself in the foot, perhaps influenced by racist fearmongering. “Can’t have human beings coming into a land inhabited by human beings because we perceive them as different human beings when we are in fact the same human beings.”

Maybe Scotland can have another independence referendum and rejoin the EU.

[quote=“Chris”]Jolly old England just shot herself in the foot, perhaps influenced by racist fearmongering. “Can’t have human beings coming into a land inhabited by human beings because we perceive them as different human beings when we are in fact the same human beings.”

Maybe Scotland can have another independence referendum and rejoin the EU.[/quote]

England? The UK isn’t Scotland and England.

They can’t possibly just have decided for themselves. Must have been manipulated by the higher-ups with their ‘fearmongering’.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Chris”]Jolly old England just shot herself in the foot, perhaps influenced by racist fearmongering. “Can’t have human beings coming into a land inhabited by human beings because we perceive them as different human beings when we are in fact the same human beings.”

Maybe Scotland can have another independence referendum and rejoin the EU.[/quote]

They can’t possibly just have decided for themselves. Must have been manipulated by the higher-ups.[/quote]
Northern Ireland seems ready to Remain… maybe if they reunify with the Free State?

Wales has been unified with England since the Middle Ages, though. Old habits die hard.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Chris”]Jolly old England just shot herself in the foot, perhaps influenced by racist fearmongering. “Can’t have human beings coming into a land inhabited by human beings because we perceive them as different human beings when we are in fact the same human beings.”

They can’t possibly just have decided for themselves. Must have been manipulated by the higher-ups.[/quote]
Northern Ireland seems ready to Remain… maybe if they reunify with the Free State?

Wales has been unified with England since the Middle Ages, though. Old habits die hard.[/quote]

No, that is not actually true. England was conquered by the Twdrs in the 1400s. We were hardly ‘unified’, in the same way that a Scottish king taking the throne of England, Wales, France and Ireland after the Tudor house died out roughly a century later doesn’t really represent a cultural or social ‘alliance’, it represents the ruling houses of Europe, kingmaking. We didn’t all get together and decide to be team GB.

The case for Liverpool or London or Manchester devolving from the UK and remaining in the EU is as strong.

NI is not going to reunify with Ireland. That really didn’t work out, before, did it?

You are funny, Chris. :laughing:

Is Brexit binding? Apparently not.

theguardian.com/politics/201 … parliament

My friend is a Brit. Will that mean he can’t freely live in Spain anymore? What’s the nitty gritty on the haps with this anyway (for those of us in “merica” who only pay attention to the KHardasians and the Trumpster…I dont mean myself but …that’s all most Amurcans talk bout…Trump/Clinton , Khardasians, football, basketball, baseball).

It has nothing to do with racism or fearmongering. Why would any sane person want to be ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels?

Like him or not, Boris Johnson makes a good case here:

youtube.com/watch?v=r1jvbkf87Tg

People who are citizens of EU countries can freely live and work in other EU countries, and enjoy healthcare and other benefits. What a thing to throw away.

That sounds like an argument that can be used for the dissolution of the US. Imagine each US state being a separate country with separate currencies and barriers to trade and movement. Oh, we tried that briefly back in the 18th century, and it didn’t work out very well.

That sounds like an argument that can be used for the dissolution of the US. Imagine each US state being a separate country with separate currencies and barriers to trade and movement. Oh, we tried that briefly back in the 18th century, and it didn’t work out very well.[/quote]

America is quite different then the United States of Europe. The French and GErmans and Italians and Spaniards and Brits are quite distinct from each other. The differences are not like Nevada from CAlifornia.

So now Brits won’t get to live and work in any EU nation, because they are now NOT part of the EU? Affects many I am sure.

Americans would do well to get rid of DC, or sharply restrict it, as Washington siphons off trillions of dollars of money that could be better spent locally in each state. Why should hard working Americans fund an international war machine with their taxes?

We can go round in circles all day, but the UK will leave the EU, as the Brexit camp is over a million votes ahead.

Tommy, it will probably be 1 or 2 years before any regional laws take effect. It’s not like Brits will get booted out of Ibiza tomorrow…

I like Boris Johnson, but that was a hell of a boring speech.

Well, see, this is exactly the problem with Europe. It’s an all-or-nothing proposition. If you’re not with us you’re against us. You can’t select a bilateral freedom-of-movement agreement with other member states while rejecting, say, monetary policy (well, you can, up to a point, but it’s negotiated on a case-by-case basis rather than being an explicit part of the plan).

That’s just stupid. Any given country in Europe might have close cultural or economic similarities with some other (superficially dissimilar) country that would permit profitable freedom-of-movement between those countries; but they might have radically different agricultural or security policies which would make full integration with European norms completely impossible. IMO Europe would work far better as an a la carte selection of prepackaged deals, rather than a prix fixe with only one main course and no dessert.

The comparison with the US is not relevant. You have there a country which is united at least by language and (broadly speaking) a common heritage. Yes, yes, I know you all came from other countries originally, but you carried with you certain values that evolved side-by-side into a coherent whole. You dealt with differences by devolving a lot of power from the Federal government to the States. It ain’t perfect, but it works pretty well. There is probably no reason the US could not split up into different countries as long as it maintained a robust structure to keep those countries rubbing along peaceably … like, um, the Federal government.

The EU, as it stands today, likes to pretend there are no differences. You can’t legislate away geography: certain countries always will be certain things and do certain things because of their climate, terrain, and location relative to others. Pretending that everyone can spinlock into the same system given enough friction applied at the right places sounds like to me like striving for the lowest common denominator.

OTOH I can’t help wondering if people need legal straitjackets. One of the great tragedies of WW2, IMO, is that the British liked and respected the Germans, and vice versa. We had a shared cultural tradition, especially in academia and science. If Europe had been held together with pointless, counterproductive and expensive laws as it is today, perhaps WW2 might not have happened.

Cameron might just say no since the referendum isn’t binding. People online suggest if he does that his political career will be over but what does he care now anyway, his career is over according to polls.

Americans would do well to get rid of DC, or sharply restrict it, as Washington siphons off trillions of dollars of money that could be better spent locally in each state. Why should hard working Americans fund an international war machine with their taxes?

We can go round in circles all day, but the UK will leave the EU, as the Brexit camp is over a million votes ahead.

Tommy, it will probably be 1 or 2 years before any regional laws take effect. It’s not like Brits will get booted out of Ibiza tomorrow…[/quote]

I was thinking its more like in Taiwan where if you get divorced your ARC based on marriage is good for sixty days. LOL
IF Brits own homes in Spain what then? Wonder what will be some big changes for Brits with this?