Brexit

[quote=“Ermintrude”]Jesussufferingfuck, Facebook is reminding me I hate most of my friends. The passive-aggressive whining, the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the us-and-them divisive sheer obnoxiousness of the sore losers is just horrible. We have learned nothing from Jo Cox’s murder.

The apocalypse is not nigh.[/quote]

Absolutely THIS. Its astonishing, you would think that we have voted in the Nazis or something.

Yes the UK has woken and my facebook feed is also clusterfuck of people arguing. All I want to know is will weed be cheaper or more expensive post brexit. :ponder:

Of course they do. Politicians are just politicians. Everyone is self-serving.

It’ll be a slow thing, I would have thought. Given that it has as much legal basis as a ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ phone vote, I don’t think we have to head for our bunkers, yet.

What I can actually see happening is that the current Conservative leadership stall as much as possible, and then the next Labour government totally throw out the anchors and claim a parliamentary mandate to stop it, once Labour get re-elected (probably not at the next general election).

It’ll be a slow thing, I would have thought. Given that it has as much legal basis as a ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ phone vote, I don’t think we have to head for our bunkers, yet.

What I can actually see happening is that the current Conservative leadership stall as much as possible, and then the next Labour government totally throw out the anchors and claim a parliamentary mandate to stop it, once Labour get re-elected (probably not at the next general election).

As I posited above: the underclass economy is largely unaffected by politics.

[quote=“Chris”]Is Brexit binding? Apparently not.

theguardian.com/politics/201 … parliament[/quote]
It’s only non-binding on paper. If they don’t follow the results the streets of London would be expecting an insurrection.

The tariffs are not punitive, they will just happen once the UK pulls out because of WTO rules. I’m sure that neither side wants to start a tarrif war, but it will just happen because of the rules which pretty much every country follows.

Just like the fictional ones living in Airstrip One, curiously enough.

There is a small possibility they will be (positively) affected by disruption in the flow of subsidized EU farm produce. Turkey nuggets and oven fries might become more expensive; and the price of local produce may fall if EU regulations favouring big ag suddenly vaporize. It all depends on whether the UK authorities decide that keeping the council estate underclasses fat and unhealthy is an important policy goal.

What tariffs are we speaking of, specifically? What rules? I was not aware that the WTO actually mandates minimum tariffs for certain goods?

[quote=“finley”]
What tariffs are we speaking of, specifically? What rules? I was not aware that the WTO actually mandates minimum tariffs for certain goods?[/quote]

It’s not minimum tariffs for certain goods, it’s the tariffs for all goods and services that all countries follow, and within the EU they cut it down to nul for the sake of the single internal market.

And I saw this

The age demographics thing seems to be a favorite on facebook at the moment.

OK, that’s what I thought. The alternative would be to simply eliminate all tariffs, of course, but as long as some nations subsidize certain industries that’s impractical.

Maybe the UK will exit the WTO next :wink:

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“Chris”]Is Brexit binding? Apparently not.

theguardian.com/politics/201 … parliament[/quote]
It’s only non-binding on paper. If they don’t follow the results the streets of London would be expecting an insurrection.

The tariffs are not punitive, they will just happen once the UK pulls out because of WTO rules. I’m sure that neither side wants to start a tarrif war, but it will just happen because of the rules which pretty much every country follows.[/quote]

If you are not British, its impossible to understand the fragility of class politics in the UK. Im guessing your friends are probably wealthy, middle class, metropolitan, educated, working in say Media, Pr, marketing etc, liberal on issues such as feminism but no interest in class politics etc etc. The system was working for them. They are not economic facts, but rather opinions. Opinions of those who benefit from said system.

The EU is not the only driver of inequality in the UK but it doesnt help. EU immigration in such numbers have created an underclass of people on zero hour contracts, struggling to get places in hospitals, housing etc. Totally reliant on a crooked finance sector that is supported by the EU, there is no impetus for the UK to invest in these places or diversify our economy.

Of course you can have an opinion, but without understanding the particulars, you miss the human factor. It would be like a foreigner preaching to you how better the Taiwan economy would be if you would be better integrated with China and showing you ‘facts’ from Chinese economists. Probably true, but would show a misunderstanding of are complex set of social factors.

Of course you can have an opinion, but you are hugely missing the mark because you don’t make any sort of informed analysis. What you write is so broad, it has no detail or actual relevant information. It’s kind of like when newbs on this site write ‘gwanshee is very important in Taiwan! Don’t make people lose face!’ Its kind of eye-rolly and crass. Of course, you have the right to an opinion, but if you flap your head in public, people won’t always afford it the same parity as the opinions of people who know WHY Trafford voted Remain and Cheshire East voted Leave.

For example, you wrote this:

London voted ‘Remain’. Writing that there would be an ‘insurrection’ removes your credibility. Now if you had written ‘Burnley’, that would have been an interesting pint, but you didn’t, so it wasn’t.

This isn’t a personal attack: I’m sick my Facebook feed being crammed with mostly non-Brits writing the most awful, ignorant, stuff about it. So ungracious, so un-humble, the equivalent of ‘God, all you Yanks are thick gun-toting anti-abortion rednecks!’ and so on.

All I know is every election, or at every opportunity , British people complain about the country going to the dogs. When Labout got into power in 1997, I remember a school teacher lecturing us on why it meant the end of Britain. It didn’t.

Everything will be ok.

Yeah exactly, so what???

Yes, but that’s unlikely. Think TTIP. That’s what eliminating all tariffs would look like, and it’s just with America. Complete elimination would be even worse as they would have compete with countries like China or Japan as well.

That was a metaphor because London is the capital of the Kingdom. I don’t know which constituency voted to remain or to leave… and it doesn’t really matter now anyways as the result is just to leave.

[quote]
Of course you can have an opinion, but you are hugely missing the mark because you don’t make any sort of informed analysis. What you write is so broad, it has no detail or actual relevant information. It’s kind of like when newbs on this site write ‘gwanshee is very important in Taiwan! Don’t make people lose face!’ Its kind of eye-rolly and crass. Of course, you have the right to an opinion, but if you flap your head in public, people won’t always afford it the same parity as the opinions of people who know WHY Trafford voted Remain and Cheshire East voted Leave. [/quote]
I was implying on how a Norway or Switzerland option is not really an option and the consequences will probably be, as that user was saying that the UK could pull out a Norway. If that’s not relevant I don’t really know what is.

That was a metaphor because London is the capital of the Kingdom. I don’t know which constituency voted to remain or to leave… and it doesn’t really matter now anyways as the result is just to leave.

Not meaning to be picky, but the above point is one of the most talked about aspects of this election. Roughly a civil war between London and the rest of the country.

Maybe roll with that one. :cactus:

Ugh no they are not, at least not all of them, and I’m not really that close with them to call them friends. I didn’t get that from them either.

I just feel like the general public was largely under-informed if they thought that the UK could just follow non-EU countries’ roads like the EEA states. One of the arguments that I read about the most is 'we are the fifth largest economy in the world and the EU would keep trading with us even if we leave!!!", that’s true, but it’s not that easy as there are other complications. I also find it quite… Idk how to put it, maybe hypocritical? That some British people (not you) would blame the whole thing on the EU when the Brits are amongst the largest group of lobbyists in Brussels.

I don’t agree with the China analogy because the EU hasn’t been trying to murder the UK.

I apologise if I came out as ungracious or unhumble though.

[quote]
Not meaning to be picky, but the above point is one of the most talked about aspects of this election. Roughly a civil war between London and the rest of the country.[/quote]
Or that Scotland is gonna leave. #kissbye :whistle:

The EU has not directly tried to murder the UK, but they have slowly suffocated us economically and politically. Many powers were given away by stealth, under the table in the last 10-20 years. So there are many parallels between the China/Taiwan situation and the UK/EU story.

^Well I think there’s at least one obvious distinction, the EU is not nearly 1/100 as bad as China. It has democratic elements (EU Parliament) and is dedicated to human rights protection (Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU).

There are plenty of other pros, such as free travel and cooperation on so many levels amongst the member states. Whereas China and Taiwan are not working with each other, not even a bit, the former is simply working against the latter.

I find it mind-boggling that 51% of the British voters just threw all these away, but well, it’s their choice.