Brexit

Reality…London is where the bankers are not Brussels

Turning to the UK’s role in providing financial services within the EU, Britain as a whole has thus become the Union’s lead player in a number of key areas. This is true especially for derivatives trading, foreign exchange trading, hedge fund activity and marine insurance, for which the UK accounts for over half of European business (see Table 2). Overall, it is estimated that 35% of EU wholesale financial services activity takes place in London.

• 7 TheCityUK, The UK: Europe’s Financial Centre , August 2016.
  • 8 TheCityUK, ibid, November 2016.

11It should also be noted that 112 major European companies are listed on the London stock exchange, because it is a larger, more prominent international market offering better trading and liquidity conditions (i.e. the ease with which investors can enter and exit markets, in this case by buying and selling shares in listed companies).7 Furthermore, 60% of non-EU firms establish their European headquarters in London and the UK, while 40% of the European headquarters of the top 250 companies are based in London.8

3 Likes

Yes we know

1 Like

Farage gets paid the most for turning up for 3 min rants for TV… And then running off again.

Farage defended the arrangement when challenged on BBC1’s Andrew Marr Show. Asked if he would accept the EU pension money, he replied: “Of course I would take it. I have said that right from day one. Why should my family and others suffer even more?”

2 Likes

Yes, the Magna Carta which also give the English the right to bear arms. Something that they made need if they have an unlawful EU super state governing. Thank for this reminder unfortunately many of the super rich remainers seem to underestimate the working classes they should not forget the American war of independence and the French revolution.

More relevant are the yellow vests surely.

1 Like

And how about New Zealand? Do they too have the right to…

Oh. Never mind.

well the French seem to have more of a revolutionary spirit than the British. We might all solve this over a nice cup of tea though!

Yes it’s a shit storm, but I am not OK being run by the unelected people who know nothing of my countries problems. The EU needs to change - and I hope Brexit will force the EU to do so. Countries do need to have a final ‘yes’ / ‘no’ say in their own countries not the EU. The EU has fucked up Italy and every attempt the new Italian gov makes is being threatened by sanctions, but France can do what it wants…

The EU needs to go back to how it was back in 1993 and stop trying to make Europe a United States but embrace our individual nations as individuals.

1 Like

Do you really think that the EU can work? All member states what different things, a united Europe would follow one model? And whose would that be? Would it be a Spanish or Polish model? Prob not… It’d be a German or French model -

The UK is going to have to run an election for its MEPs if the Brexit delay continues.

Yes, to remain in the single market (“absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market”), to give an extra 350 million quid a week to the NHS, to stop the Muslims coming into the country from Africa, Syria, Iraq etc, to stop Britain being affected by swarms of swarthy Turks entering our green and pleasant land after their (at the time) imminent membership of the EU, to stop the EU from unbending our bananas and so on.

Wrong

Evidence free assertion

If you took out the votes of ancient gammons and the thick, it would’ve been a landslide for Remain. But that is completely by the by as I feel that each individuals vote is given equal value.

Another evidence free assertion

Hat-trick!

Both countries do have a large number of thick xenophobes who cheerlead disaster capitalists who aim to increase their own personal wealth to the detriment of themselves, that’s true.

1. Agreed. It was advisory, and the Leave campaign was found guilty of breaking electoral law to achieve their goal. Come on old chap, have a sense of Great British fair play, what-ho!
  2. Some Conservatives were elected. They did not gain a majority, meaning they must rely on others to carry out their manifesto commitments. As a party they were not given carte blanche by the electorate to deliver their manifesto.
  3. The fact that Brexiteers and people desperate for power and wealth like Corbyn, May, Redwood etc decided to ignore their own lack of any consistent plan and the breaking of electoral law to vote for Article 50 should of course be to their great shame, if they were capable of feeling such an emotion. Parliament of course did vote to activate Article 50, but has more recently voted to back an extension to this. People crying about this now should, to coin a phrase, get over it. Accept the will of the people.

Here’s a thought, British people could have bothered their collective arse to vote in EU elections for people who would actually represent their interests and try to ameliorate any problems rather than workshy scroungers like Farage and Hannan who never turned up to represent the thickos who voted for them to do precisely that. That might lead to a smoother running of the EU. The EU clearly does know something of your country’s problems, as they financed a host of initiatives in the past in run-down areas of the U.K. that have been routinely ignored by successive Labour and Tory governments.

Here’s hoping we are soon run by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Jacob-Rees Mogg and all those other men of the people who know exactly the kind of shite which has been foisted on to the Great British public thanks to more than a decade of austerity, and have proven their determination to solve all the problems which have been, at least in part, caused by chronic underinvestment in our public services. It’s what the thick Brexiteers deserve. And when things stay just as grim or get worse post-Brexit, they will still blame the nasty EU and other foreigns for all of Britain’s ills. It’ll be fine though, they’ll be able to keep themselves warm thanks to the warm glow of sovereignty.

4 Likes

Your post is like an EU directive on banana shapes and sizes.

1 Like

His post was erudite and to the point.

1 Like

I don’t agree with everything in his post, but it was well written.

We live in a time of sound bites and emojis.

2 Likes

@Brianjones, apologies , this reply was meant for @tetentikov
I suppose one can be erudite and mendacious in opinions. It is a wonderfully condescending piece of tripe, sorry trope.
I think in particular , the tactic of calling all Brexit Voters “Thickos”, was a particularly effective and mature method to engage debate.

The argument that the Leave campaign broke electoral Law is about the only factual item I could find .
Of course you omitted to mention that the Remain were also fined…but a low amount . So it is the pecuniary "amount " of fines that bothers you and not the principle you bleat so loudly about ?
You also omitted , surprisingly, for such an erudite piece of work, that the UK Government posted a Leaflet through my door , that, , promoted remaining …at a cost to the Taxpayer of some 9.3 Million pounds.
Hardly a level playing field …not exactly Great British fair play ,what?

Both Labour and Conservative Manifestos pledged to deliver Brexit , so the majority issue you make is superfluous. Sadly , the lack of a decent majority did exactly what May predicted and tied her hands …I agree that she made a mess of things, subsequently.
Had the Remain campaign accepted the Referendum result ( the “will” of the people as you put it , the pain would have been far less .

You argue that the Article 50 instigation was wrong ( no doubt you cried) , then argue that Leavers are crying due to the extension of the said Article.
To coin a phrase , I think it is you that needs to “get over it” .
As the immortal Jimmy Cricket used to say , but wait there’s more".
You contradict yourself , one the one hand , lamenting the quality of EU MEP’s, the argue that that is the way forward ( if only we had better representation) :joy:
The reality is that it is the ever increasing dilution of the individual Country representation , that concerns many.
Being subject to the full Lisbon Treaty implications ( all Members have to accept the Euro etc and no vetoes ) and a lesser voice in the future ( if you bother to read it ) would concern most individuals who considered this dilemma.
Anyway , have a wonderful evening old chap .

1 Like

Yes that was a little rude alright, you could even say it was ‘e-rude-ite’

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m working on my vocabulary :joy:.

1 Like

Thickos, moaners, shits, traitors… There was no mature debate from the start. It looks like it’s the future - totally emotional and devoid of reason.

1 Like

I think it was a “thicko” way to engage those in favor of Brexit into debate.