Bringing cats from China - Mission impossible or not?

We have read several treads in the forum on this matter, but did not really see the answer to our question.

My wife (Taiwanese) and me spent the last 10 years in Shanghai, but we are in the process of moving back to Taiwan.
We have 2 cats in China, which were both rescued from the street, and with us for 3 and 1 year respectively.
I am sure we can find a foster family for both of them, but really should like to bring them here, as they have that special place into our hearts.

However, from what we have learned from officials, is that it almost impossible to bring cats into Taiwan from Mainland China.

However, is there anyone who tried this as well, and possibly can advise if there is still an official way for this?
I even heard about “not so official” import, but did not check that out any further.

Any advise is much appreciated,

Eric

One would think its possible, just that they all have to be quarantined for something like 30 days upon arrival. Check with EVA Air, they are pretty experienced in handling animals and they fly from ShangHai to Taiwan too.

Try this link for info on ‘how to’: baphiq.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=8 … =1702&mp=1
Then click on the ‘branch’ tab for contact details. I suggest you talk to several different people to confirm the process and document names, dates and such.
Good luck!

[quote=“Ladybird”]Try this link for info on ‘how to’: baphiq.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=8 … =1702&mp=1
Then click on the ‘branch’ tab for contact details. I suggest you talk to several different people to confirm the process and document names, dates and such.
Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the info.
This is how far we came last time, and why I was wondering if anyone found an “alternative”.
Extract from this BAPHIQ site:

b Dogs or cats from Bangladesh and China (not include Hong Kong and Macao) are not allowed to be imported into Taiwan.[/b]

E.

I think cats are too independent.

Any chance to import your cats into Macau or HK for a spell then import them into Taiwan as HK/Macau cats? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry I can’t help you out with information or experience, but please don’t give up. And when you do successfully get your cats to Taiwan, please make sure to tell us how, all the intimate details and processes, so that we can help out others in the future. Thanks!

Contact Santa Fe moving company, it will be expensive but they will be able to help you. I have experience with them already. santaferelo.com/

Hey Eric,

My husband and I actually had the same issue. We had a kitten while we were living in Beijing and I wanted to bring him back to Taipei with us when we moved back. From what I researched, the legal way to import domestic animals from China to Taiwan is by having animal to live for at least 6 months at a 3rd location e.g. HK, Macau, Japan… After the 6 months away from China, you can then bring the pet into Taiwan through the normal procedures. That’s the legal way to do it. There’s also the illegal way to do it of course, but that’ll cost a LOT. Sadly in the end, my husband convinced me to give the kitten away to a trusted friend, so I didn’t go with either option. I hope things work out for you.

Lily

Sorry I have not been able to either read or reply the various posts, as I am fully occupied by setting up a speciality shop here in Tamsui. But the situation did not change yet, we are paying our ayi in Shanghai more then a 100 euro per month to take care of the 2 cats … kind of crazy, right?

I will surely check with Santa Fe (and perhaps some other movers), see what they can tell. Stupid I did not really think about that before.
And will check on the 3rd country option, although I have no clue who to ask for those 6 month :frowning:
Do cats need an other 3 months in TW, if coming in from HK / MC / JP?

Will be back when more news coming in…

Eric