Bringing family to Taiwan

Question re bringing family to Taiwan.

I hold a gold card ARC, my daughter holds an Australian passport and was born in Australia. Her mother is Chinese (mainland). When we previously travelled to China to see my in-laws the PRC wouldn’t issue a visa for my daughter and she was forced to hold a PRC travel doccument (not passport, she does not hold HHR/hukou).

I see that in Taiwan the policy is that if a chinese national holds a foreign passport they can apply for an ARC under usual programs for foreigners.

Would it be beneficial to take that route for my daughter? I see it would be the most straight forward way… or would it be more beneficial to claim she is a national without household registration and attempt to normalise her status?

I’m curious how the Chinese government even knew your daughter qualified as a Chinese citizen if she didn’t have HHR there.

Her mother is chinese… from visa application.

Interesting that the mother’s information was required for a tourist visa.

Yes, chinese tourist visa applications are very detailed. Parents details parents passports etc.

Babies cant get visas without parents details hahaha

To answer your question, if one qualifies for a Taiwan ID then it is always better to have one (over an ARC). ARC holders are systemically discriminated against in Taiwan, as you’re probably already aware.

1 Like

I’m curious. Was your daughter born in Australia? If so, what was her mother’s residency status in Australia at the time of her birth?

Mother was a temporary resident at time of daughter’s birth… hence china claimed my daughter was a chinese citizen. But under Australian law my daughter is Australian.

1 Like

His daughter won’t qualify for that. Honestly, it would be better for his daughter to be in Taiwan as a foreigner than as a Chinese person on any kind of TARC due to the discrimination that mainland Chinese people face in Taiwan. If his daughter managed to get a NWHOR passport, the timeline for getting HHR would be long.

5 Likes

Yep, I had to provide my parents’ details when applying for a Chinese tourist visa. Both of my parents (American) are dead, so that was weird, but I just chalked it up to typical bureaucracy.

I was confused by the OP’s question. I thought he meant his daughter qualified as a Taiwanese national (since we’re on a Taiwan-centric forum talking about living in Taiwan).

@RandomName Now that I’m clear… To answer your question, Taiwan doesn’t care if your daughter is Chinese or Australian. They are both foreign countries (more or less), and Taiwan has no authority to require your daughter to live here as a Chinese national instead of an Australian national (it would be a different story if she was a Taiwanese national). It’s better to live here on an ARC. I believe the path to permanent residency for a Chinese on a TARC is actually longer than a foreigner on an ARC.

3 Likes

Now you know the reason for the questions.

The ROCs nationality laws are broader than just Taiwan hence the existence Nationals without household registration… and TARC etc.

I tend to agree with you, it would be much easier for her to apply for arc as an Australian.

But two things make me hesitate:

1. APRC can’t be issued to NWOHR which technically she likely is.

2. if she is already a NWOHR and followed that route I don’t believe she would need to renounce her Australian citizenship before securing HHR. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

1 Like

NWOHR in the immigration act means taiwanese without hhr, which your daughter is not.

iiuc, to take the route to get her roc hhr without renunciatiin, she first needs to get her hhr or passport of prc, to be recognized as a mainland people by taiwanese authority. then she stays taiwan as a mainland people in taiwan for certain years with a right purpose. years in taiwan with some purpose may not be counted to change her status from mainland to taiwan. then she can change her prc hhr to roc hhr.

or, are you a roc narional?

1 Like

My daughter doesn’t hold mainland hhr. Hence travel document rather than passport for PRC.

The roc nationality law encompasses the whole of China… the regulations pertaining to mainland area restricts mainland persons in taiwan and hhr etc.

So I believe she is already a national under roc nationality law and hence a NWOHR and given she doesn’t hold HHR in mainland I don’t think she is even a mainland area person.

1 Like

that is why mainland people don’t need renunciation.

she needs to provide any document showing her parent is a taiwanese to be recognized as a nwohr by birth, which i guess she cannot provide.

at this moment without prc hhr or passport, she is just a foreigner for roc authority, iiuc.

FYI
A certificate of ROC nationality she needs to provide is any of the following documents

1. Household registration record.
  2. National ID Card.
  3. Passports.
  4. Nationality Certificate.
  5. Overseas Compatriot Registry Certificate.
  6. Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate, but does not include a certificate issued by the Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commission after the applicant submits a certificate of Chinese descent.
  7. The ROC nationality certificate of one of the applicant’s parents and the applicant’s birth certificate.
  8. Certificate of naturalization.
  9. Other certificates recognized by the MOI.

The PRC nationality certificate of one of the applicant’s parents wouldn’t be counted.

2 Likes

Being a ROC NWOHR because of a connection to the PRC is different to being an ROC NWOHR because of a connection to the ROC.

Your daughter would be much better off with an ARC than getting through the bureaucracy of proving NWOHR status due to a connection to the PRC.

4 Likes

if someone is allowed to stay taiwan as a non foreigner because of a connectin to the PRC, the person is categorized as a mainland people, which is a different category from a roc nwohr in roc laws. to be an ROC NWOHR you need a connection to the roc.