Bringing Web Wednesday to Taipei - Digitari Unite!

Hey guys,

I’m Digital Marketing Manager for a regional PR company and have been a web/graphic designer for many years. It would be nice to get a quick survey of people here to know if you’re in the online industry what you do.

Also, not sure if any of you have been to the Web Wednesday events in Hong Kong (www.webwednesday.hk), Singapore or the soon the be launched Guangzhou edition, but I was thinking of bringing it over to Taipei if it’s not already here. Is there any interest from the local digerati?

For those that don’t know, Web Wednesday happens once a month on a Wednesday (the 1st one for HK and 3rd for GZ - not sure about SG) and usually features one or two guest speakers from the industry in a local bar or pub with networking drinks afterwards. Usually runs from 6:30pm - 10:00pm.

Anything similar to this going on? I saw a mention of Mobile Monday in Taipei, but that’s a bit too niche, mobile things are also sometimes covered at Web Wednesdays.

Any thoughts?

Alex

[quote=“ALT83”]Hey guys,

I’m Digital Marketing Manager for a regional PR company and have been a web/graphic designer for many years. It would be nice to get a quick survey of people here to know if you’re in the online industry what you do.

Also, not sure if any of you have been to the Web Wednesday events in Hong Kong (www.webwednesday.hk), Singapore or the soon the be launched Guangzhou edition, but I was thinking of bringing it over to Taipei if it’s not already here. Is there any interest from the local digerati?

For those that don’t know, Web Wednesday happens once a month on a Wednesday (the 1st one for HK and 3rd for GZ - not sure about SG) and usually features one or two guest speakers from the industry in a local bar or pub with networking drinks afterwards. Usually runs from 6:30pm - 10:00pm.

Anything similar to this going on? I saw a mention of Mobile Monday in Taipei, but that’s a bit too niche, mobile things are also sometimes covered at Web Wednesdays.

Any thoughts?

Alex[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea. I know a few other people on f.com are in the marketing field as well. I work for a vendor of networking products and would be interested in attending a meet up that is geared towards members of the technology field.

I’d be interested and put it in my Outlook.

I only go to Tech Tuesday.

You may say that in jest, but given Taiwan’s strong technology hardware, it may actually be worth going with that to make a bigger event catering to the interaction between hardware, software and the web…

It would be cool for example to get everyone mingling together e.g. ASUS, HTC, web/software designers etc. Showcasing their products and services, discussing where tech should be going over all… but maybe that’s too broad… What do others think?

[quote=“ALT83”]You may say that in jest, but given Taiwan’s strong technology hardware, it may actually be worth going with that to make a bigger event catering to the interaction between hardware, software and the web…

It would be cool for example to get everyone mingling together e.g. ASUS, HTC, web/software designers etc. Showcasing their products and services, discussing where tech should be going over all… but maybe that’s too broad… What do others think?[/quote]
I’d be interested.

[quote=“ALT83”]
It would be cool for example to get everyone mingling together e.g. ASUS, HTC, web/software designers etc. Showcasing their products and services, discussing where tech should be going over all… but maybe that’s too broad… What do others think?[/quote]

Broader than a job title of “Digital Marketing Manager” ? I’d be interested also, up to you ALT83, to make further proposals or get others involved to generate interest.

I’m in sales with a networking vendor, i’d be interested in meeting up, as long as its a light general topic and there’s booze.

Also, are there any bars in Taipei that white collar workers go to after work, maybe on a friday for after work drinks? When i was working in Sydney workers in the CBD would flock to nearby bars come 5 o’clock, plenty of wild nights and introductions were had.

Well, there’s an unofficial version of something similar happening, I’m a part time tech journalist and part time technical writer and there have been a few meet-ups with some of the tech industry here and some of the journalists, but it’s been rather small scale and organised by a guy at Gigabyte at the moment. There might be a good potential of growing this into something bigger. And yes, I’d be interested.

Are there really that many foreigners involved in this industry other than tech writers/editors to make it worthwhile? Or do you plan on conducting it in Chinese?

sarcasm aside, it would be interesting to find out what other tech related foreigners are doing here and what they are interested in doing.
i’m keen to make it happen, in baby steps.

Was that directed at me? What sarcasm? I’m serious.

I think there’s no reason why tech journalists, [digital] marketing persons (like myself) and hardware/software vendors can’t all mingle. After all, we have a shared passion and ultimately rely on each other to some extent. 1 or 2 guest speakers plus networking over drinks would hopefully be beneficial to us all.

There may very well be a limited number of foreign English speakers in this field in Taipei. At the 1st Guangzhou event we had last month, about half were locals and half were foreigners, but even the locals had a basic level of English and I would assume the same of Taipei.

I was wondering the same thing.

Wouldn’t most of the tech guys be in Hsinchu anyway, not Taipei?

I would come to one of these things just to see people with passion for this stuff and find out how they tick. I totally abhor tech writing/editing and do it only for the money. Its an AWFUL job! About the only good thing about it is it actually makes me happy when I receive a medical paper to edit – even THAT is vastly preferable to doing tech.

Those Mobile Monday things seem to be fairly well attended.

Well, I know close to a dozen people here that works in the tech industry at various companies that are foreginers, not all are native English speakers though, myself included, but I guess that hardly matters. The last meetup consisted of about a dozen people, although at least a couple of those were just visiting Taiwan at the time.
I think there’s more than enough people to make something a bit more organized and I’m sure I can help out with a few email addresses if it gets to the stage of some kind of event happening.
It seems like more and more of the companies here are hiring foreginers to help out, to various extent of success, so expect more tech savvy foreginers here over the coming years.

I’ve spoken to ALT83 via PM and it seems that it’s time for us to set a date and location.

I propose August 29th at 7:30pm at the Brass Monkey on Fuxing N. Road. It’s close to an MRT, fairly central as far as bars go, and popular enough for everyone to find. It also has a large back room that is pretty comfortable so we can push some tables next to each other. They’ve got a pool table as well.

This is just an idea for the first one to see if there’s genuine interest. We can always share ideas and discuss what we want to do in the future.

So if at least 5 other people say they can make it next Friday at 7:30pm, I’ll make sure I’m there as well. I’ll put out a sign to let people know where to meet if that helps.

This sounds like some tech social mixer club. Nice idea and sounds like Brass Monkey would be good locale. Look forward to meeting others.