British and Irish Lions Rugby Tour 2009

The thing about ROG is that he’s like Andre Pretorius in a way. If he has a good game he’s awesome, but most of the time he’s fairly mediocre. Hope he has a good game against Earl Rose so we never have to worry about him embarrassing SA in the Green and Gold (although, after the Luke Watson fiasco, nothing could be an embarrassment anymore…).

My prediction for tonight:
Tight game, but Lions to edge it.
Emerging Boks 20 - 23 B&I Lions.

For those of you that saw the first test between the Springboks and the B&I Lions, you’ll know one thing. The Boks were up by a massive margin and a complete arse raping looked on the cards. Then some substitutes were made, notably Ricky Januarie who had a very poor game. His service of the ball to replacement Morne Steyn was horrid and he completely screwed by the ball communication between the pack and the backs for the remainder of the game. It’s also interesting to note (along with several other suspicious call ups by PDV), that Januarie hasn’t been in the starting line-up for WP and the Stormers for some time, but somehow manages to be in PDV’s Bok squad…

So it was with some interest that I read this article at sport24. It shows so much of what is wrong with SA Rugby and even SA in general…

[quote]Springbok coach Peter de Villiers hit back at rugby supporters who criticised Ricky Januarie’s game with thinly veiled accusations of racism. The Bok coach on Monday said at a press conference that some people in the country would never change and therefore he didn’t need to listen to their opinions.

In response to a question about the form of Januarie, the Springbok substitute scrumhalf who was booed in Durban after a knock-on, De Villiers said: “He made one mistake on Saturday, but so did other players. What I have learnt in South Africa is the following; if you take your car to a garage to be repaired and the owner is black and he doesn’t do a good job, you will never take it back there again. But if the owner is white and the garage makes a mistake, people say, never mind, he made a mistake and will take it back again”.

“I’m just giving him a chance, maybe tomorrow he plays a brilliant match and then there is suddenly nothing wrong with his form,” De Villiers said when asked if he implied that public opinion against Januarie was based on discrimination of the Bok’s skin colour.[/quote]
He’s non white, so he can’t be criticised no matter how dodgy his selection or how poorly he plays. Otherwise, you, the fan and armchair critic, are a racist…
Nice… :southafrica:

Which is such crap. Who pays his salary? Who buys tickets? Satellite and M-Net to watch the game? The jerseys and supporters gear?

For interest, currently a new Springbok supporters jersey retails at R600 (about NT$2400) and a Springbok players jersey retails at R1400 (around NT$5600). Cheap tickets at tests run anywhere between R400 and up (around NT$1600 and up).
Yet the supporters must be happy with any crap team the already crap coach selects? And if you criticize anything you’re a racist?

[quote]De Villiers thinks the Bok victory is not being appreciated enough. “The one thing that people appear to forget, is the result. We won the Test. We waited 12 years to win this match and we did it.”
“We are very, very, very satisfied with it. We never said we were going to beat them by a lot of points, we will win with one point and be satisfied.”[/quote]
I imagine if the All Black coach or his staff said that, they’d be fired then and there.

I’m giving my notice. This will be the last test series, and this Tri-Nations will be the last one where I will support the South African rugby team (with the change in jersey, they’re more the Proteas than the Boks anyway).
From November I’ll be supporting first the All Blacks and secondly the Wallabies. My supporters money will also go towards purchasing All Black and Wallaby gear. Should I watch a test live, I’d rather go to Aus or NZ and buy tickets to a game there. PDV and his like will not a get a single dime from me anymore.

[quote=“bismarck”]For those of you that saw the first test between the Springboks and the B&I Lions, you’ll know one thing. The Boks were up by a massive margin and a complete arse raping looked on the cards. Then some substitutes were made, notably Ricky Januarie who had a very poor game. His service of the ball to replacement Morne Steyn was horrid and he completely screwed by the ball communication between the pack and the backs for the remainder of the game. It’s also interesting to note (along with several other suspicious call ups by PDV), that Januarie hasn’t been in the starting line-up for WP and the Stormers for some time, but somehow manages to be in PDV’s Bok squad…

So it was with some interest that I read this article at sport24. It shows so much of what is wrong with SA Rugby and even SA in general…

[quote]Springbok coach Peter de Villiers hit back at rugby supporters who criticised Ricky Januarie’s game with thinly veiled accusations of racism. The Bok coach on Monday said at a press conference that some people in the country would never change and therefore he didn’t need to listen to their opinions.

In response to a question about the form of Januarie, the Springbok substitute scrumhalf who was booed in Durban after a knock-on, De Villiers said: “He made one mistake on Saturday, but so did other players. What I have learnt in South Africa is the following; if you take your car to a garage to be repaired and the owner is black and he doesn’t do a good job, you will never take it back there again. But if the owner is white and the garage makes a mistake, people say, never mind, he made a mistake and will take it back again”.

“I’m just giving him a chance, maybe tomorrow he plays a brilliant match and then there is suddenly nothing wrong with his form,” De Villiers said when asked if he implied that public opinion against Januarie was based on discrimination of the Bok’s skin colour.[/quote]
He’s non white, so he can’t be criticised no matter how dodgy his selection or how poorly he plays. Otherwise, you, the fan and armchair critic, are a racist…
Nice… :southafrica:

Which is such crap. Who pays his salary? Who buys tickets? Satellite and M-Net to watch the game? The jerseys and supporters gear?

For interest, currently a new Springbok supporters jersey retails at R600 (about NT$2400) and a Springbok players jersey retails at R1400 (around NT$5600). Cheap tickets at tests run anywhere between R400 and up (around NT$1600 and up).
Yet the supporters must be happy with any crap team the already crap coach selects? And if you criticize anything you’re a racist?

[quote]De Villiers thinks the Bok victory is not being appreciated enough. “The one thing that people appear to forget, is the result. We won the Test. We waited 12 years to win this match and we did it.”
“We are very, very, very satisfied with it. We never said we were going to beat them by a lot of points, we will win with one point and be satisfied.”[/quote]
I imagine if the All Black coach or his staff said that, they’d be fired then and there.

I’m giving my notice. This will be the last test series, and this Tri-Nations will be the last one where I will support the South African rugby team (with the change in jersey, they’re more the Proteas than the Boks anyway).
From November I’ll be supporting first the All Blacks and secondly the Wallabies. My supporters money will also go towards purchasing All Black and Wallaby gear. Should I watch a test live, I’d rather go to Aus or NZ and buy tickets to a game there. PDV and his like will not a get a single dime from me anymore.[/quote]
Firstly let me welcome you to the AB supporters club!!The BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD outside of RWCs.Unfortunately AB coaches are equally stoopid.At least Puppet let your players actually play in 07. Henry also failed to tell the players they had to win by 6 points or more to win the series against France because he didnt think the players could handle the pressure :loco: Sat TV won’t be impressed that you didn’t pick the mighty Wobblies as your new favs.Does this mean you’ll be watching ANZ Cup instead of the Currie Cup?I advise not picking Auckland as your new provincial or S14 team :noway: .

Still Bulls and Sharks, mate. But I’m diversifying. Already have an order for one Chiefs and one Crusaders S14 jersey. :smiley:

Wow! Last gasp try by the Emerging Boks to tie the game 13 all! In the post match interviews Ronan O’Gara looked like he was going to cry.

:southafrica:

[quote=“bismarck”]Wow! Last gasp try by the Emerging Boks to tie the game 13 all! In the post match interviews Ronan O’Gara looked like he was going to cry.

:southafrica:[/quote]

… and the try was set up by a de Waal pass and also converted by him. His ball distribution and tactical kicking were also an immense improvement on that of Earl Rose. If he’d been on for the whole game SA would have won easily (Rose also missed a few kickable penalties).

I hate it when racism affects selection in sports!

[quote=“teggs”][quote=“bismarck”]Wow! Last gasp try by the Emerging Boks to tie the game 13 all! In the post match interviews Ronan O’Gara looked like he was going to cry.

:southafrica:[/quote]

… and the try was set up by a de Waal pass and also converted by him. His ball distribution and tactical kicking were also an immense improvement on that of Earl Rose. If he’d been on for the whole game SA would have won easily (Rose also missed a few kickable penalties).

I hate it when racism affects selection in sports![/quote]
Me too, mate. It was also the reason the Boks didn’t play a warm-up game against the New Zealand Maori. Absolutely absurd. The Maori are a great tradition in NZ rugby and a warm-up game would’ve done wonders for cohesion. Pity.

Abs by 25
Oz by 8
Boks by 15

[quote=“Wandering”]Abs by 25
Oz by 8
Boks by 15[/quote]
2nd half of ABs game just started. Italy looking good.

ABs by 20.
Oz by 3.
Boks by 3.

(Although, I have a feeling the B&I Lions may just come away with a win today. Not sure why, just a premonition of sorts - perhaps because Jacobs is still starting and PDV only selected two backs as replacement; Steyn and Fourie. Oh, and Burger is starting straight out of injury with Brussouw on the bench. Not the way I would’ve gone, but then again, nothing PDV does makes much sense…)

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Wandering”]Abs by 25
Oz by 8
Boks by 15[/quote]
2nd half of ABs game just started. Italy looking good.

ABs by 20.
Oz by 3.
Boks by 3.

(Although, I have a feeling the B&I Lions may just come away with a win today. Not sure why, just a premonition of sorts - perhaps because Jacobs is still starting and PDV only selected two backs as replacement; Steyn and Fourie. Oh, and Burger is starting straight out of injury with Brussouw on the bench. Not the way I would’ve gone, but then again, nothing PDV does makes much sense…)[/quote]
Cant see Bail coming within two tries tonite.Rushing Schalk into the starting line up is a typical Puppet move.Brussow was immense in the first test.ABs were absolute garbage tonite!!!Luke was greedy and the backs (with forwards at the ready amongst their ranks) were playing league not union.Very disappointed with the ab game plan and execution.
One of the few positives was the performance of Isaac Ross,he is an athletic young lock that may well be a future ab regular.Not sure what to make of Oz v France…Looks like the french didnt really turn up.The only other alternative is that Deans has got the lads ready to go for the tri-nations.At this stage I would pick SA to win tri-nations with Oz in with a good chance…abs look like they don’t have a game plan.

France turned up but were out muscled by my Wobbly Wallabies… funny how two picks of Australia winning by 3 and 8 by two saffies was far less than the actual difference.

Never write of the All Blacks, do so at your own peril. Of course I will be happy if my Wobbly Wallabies beat the All Black away in a few weeks.

53m kick to win the game… what a result after a dismal first 3/4 of a game by the Boks.

Sack your effing NN coach ffs

He obviously doesnt know which players should be on the field from the beginning of the game.

Great game.Aside from the granny scrums.Sad to see the series already sewn up.Some great players on display and probably the most enjoyable game I’ve seen in this international season.The Lions played better football today than I saw in any of the 10 or so games they played in NZ 4 years ago.
Bismarck, you must be stoked at Morne’s step up.I wish the ABs had your depth at 10 and goal kicking.Frans Steyn is also edging toward his ultimate potential.JP and Habana are looking lethal…are you sure you want to abandon ship post TN??

Forgot to mention that ROG is a complete muppet.

Ja, looked like he was going to cry like a bitch again after the match… :snivel: :snivel:

France turned up but were out muscled by my Wobbly Wallabies… funny how two picks of Australia winning by 3 and 8 by two saffies was far less than the actual difference.

Never write of the All Blacks, do so at your own peril. Of course I will be happy if my Wobbly Wallabies beat the All Black away in a few weeks.[/quote]
Hey, we did the best with the info we had. Didn’t see you attempt a pick, Mister satellite!

France looked good against NZ. No reason too think ( after the Aus vs Italy games) that the Wallabies would win big.

And for consistency. The Italians lost by 23 and 22 to Oz. They only lost by 21 to NZ. Our picks were fair. Unlike the Frog ref in the B&I Lions game…

Well I lost a shitload of money. I had the Boks smashing the BIR 47-15. My bank balance is never going to look the same.
Still got a fair amount on Retief Goosen, so holding thumbs.

Haha! B&IL screaming like girlie girls about Schalk Burger and Bakkies Botha. I don’t recall the Great Man Mr Sean Fitzpatrick’s words exactly, but after getting half of his ear bitten off by Johan Roux and the media baying for blood, he said something along the lines of: “That’s rugby. It’s a man’s game. We give as good as we get”. Disputes are settled on the field, and afterwards you have a jovial beer together. Girlie girl fucking poms. :southafrica:
And btw, why does the poll have a 4 test option? Am I missing something?

Bok Juniors

[quote=“bismarck”]Hey, we did the best with the info we had. Didn’t see you attempt a pick, Mister satellite!

France looked good against NZ. No reason too think ( after the Aus vs Italy games) that the Wallabies would win big.

And for consistency. The Italians lost by 23 and 22 to Oz. They only lost by 21 to NZ. Our picks were fair. Unlike the Frog ref in the B&I Lions game…[/quote]

NOt likely NZ was going to lose to NZ now was it?

I always back my Wobbly Wallabies no matter what.

I already voted for the boks to win 4 of the tests including the junior boks on the poll… so now I’m 2 1/5 points and the Junior Bok managed a great draw at the end with a sideline conversion.