Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar’s new location is #101 Songren Road, kitty corner from the NEO 19 building next to Warner Village. Entrance is at the back of the building. Their telephone number is 8780-1110. They have a website listed on their namecard: http://www.brownsugar.com.tw, but the link isn’t working right now. Post your experiences with Brown Sugar (good or bad) here… :sunglasses:

Been to the new Brown Sugar near Warner Village?

I have never seen a more pitiful collection of pretentious people in my life. We didn’t have reservations (good luck getting in without a reservation on the weekend) and decided to wait it out outside to see if a table would become available.

We ended up giving up and leaving 30 min. later. But I’m so glad I waited that 30 min. I was thoroughly entertained by the parade of Gucci skirt-wearing, Prada bag-toting, wannabe Taiwanese ho’s and their 165cm-tall, scrawny boyfriends clad in jet black, silk, ‘look mom I’m cool’ attire. These people looked as if they took fashion tips from ‘Matrix Regurgitated’… I mean ‘Reloaded’.

…And I’m just talking about locals. Don’t even get me started on the snooty ABC crowd. :shock:

My God?! What happend to that funky little Brown Sugar that used to exist on Jin-shan Rd. where I could go for a drink with a friend and hear some smooth jazz?

Maybe Bluenote would be an option…

i liked brown sugar! i’m not a snooty person!

It obviously has become a little upmarket by moving to its new location. And what’s wrong with Gucci?

I think ‘upmarket’ is a word to describe a 5 star hotel’s NT$2000/lunch French restaurant, not Brown Sugar. Brown Sugar (I will hereby refer to it as BS) is not upmarket. It’s not all that much more expensive than it used to be when it was on Jinshan Rd.

BS is ‘pretentious’; can’t think of any other word for it. If you’re a well-established lady of class and taste, you can buy Gucci and Prada. If you’re a 23-year old office girl with a mediocre college education and you spend your meager salary on Gucci in order to make everyone think you have class and taste (even though you can talk about nothing more than mundane topics such as the new hairstyle you want to get next week)… you are pretentious.

BS is overrun with these kind of people on any given evening. BS is, to repeat, pretentious.

Jazz should not be pretentious. Elle is rolling over in her grave.

Actually, I had a problem at BS last Sunday night. My friend and I were supposed to meet some other friends there who had a booth. We gave the name and walked in. We stopped for about 10 seconds to talk and figure out which table was our friends’ before another woman walked up and said,“Where are you sitting again?” I gave the name and she said, “I’m sorry we don’t have a guest table.” WTF? I saw my friends on the dance floor so I just walked up to one of them and asked where the table was. He told me and we sat down. After 30 seconds, the same girl came back and said, “This is a private area. You can’t sit here.” I said, “I know it’s private. I am a part of this party. (Everyone else was dancing).” Then, I figured out what the problem was. She keeps looking up to the DJ booth. The Columbian (I think) DJ is sneering down and shaking his head as the girl looks up in askance. I immediately went to my friend on the dance floor and told him that I was out of there. I would have caused a scene except that my friends were having a great time so I didn’t want to bring them down. Anybody else have a problem with this DJ twit? All of this happened before the band had finished the first song. In case you are wondering, I was washed, shaved and wearing nice clothes as was my friend except that he had a nice t-shirt on. I have been to Brown Sugar numerous times and the owner and the staff all know my friends yet this kind of crap still happens.

[quote=“WarMonkey”]If you’re a 23-year old office girl with a mediocre college education and you spend your meager salary on Gucci in order to make everyone think you have class and taste (even though you can talk about nothing more than mundane topics such as the new hairstyle you want to get next week)… you are pretentious.

BS is overrun with these kind of people on any given evening. BS is, to repeat, pretentious.[/quote]
I agree with the “pretentious” comment. BS seems to be banking on drawing people who are willing to spend a ton of money to “be seen there.”

That’s so ridiculous. Sounds like they think they’ve become Studio 54. Does Mr. Colombian have proper work papers? :smiling_imp:

Has anyone actually heard the live jazz at BS? Any good?

Is that Mandy Gains woman still singing there? She used to be alright at the other (only slightly pretentious) BS.

I have to give BS some credit for their lunch menu, for NT$330, large serving of pasta, salad, soup, bread, dessert and coffee. not too bad for that are, though the service is perpetually slow and inefficient the whole time.

Some ex-Brown Sugar singer, her I think, is now singing at a bar on or near Fuhsing (Nanjing-ish) called Sugar or Cream, something culinary.

I was there Sunday. didnt run into no stupid girls and fools, but then was with some ppl that looked like they didnt want to be bothered.

anyways, the band was great. sundays is salsa night. lots of great dancers (i suspected some of them are all friends in a dance club)

the band were some Taiwanese who had lived in S. America. the singer is called Tito. He was great, can even roll his R’s. pretty tough for someone who can speak chinese.

so maybe just go sundays. maybe the other days were fools’ day.

[quote=“WarMonkey”]I have never seen a more pitiful collection of pretentious people in my life. We didn’t have reservations (good luck getting in without a reservation on the weekend) and decided to wait it out outside to see if a table would become available.

We ended up giving up and leaving 30 min. later. But I’m so glad I waited that 30 min. I was thoroughly entertained by the parade of Gucci skirt-wearing, Prada bag-toting, wannabe Taiwanese ho’s and their 165cm-tall, scrawny boyfriends clad in jet black, silk, ‘look mom I’m cool’ attire. These people looked as if they took fashion tips from ‘Matrix Regurgitated’… I mean ‘Reloaded’.

…And I’m just talking about locals. Don’t even get me started on the snooty ABC crowd. :shock: [/quote]
What is your problem! Did the girls there take one look at your scrungy clothes and pimply face and laugh as they pointed you out to their boyfriends? Is that why you are so angry? Get a life little boy. And next time make a reservation before you go down there.

[quote=“AnnaWang”]
What is your problem! Did the girls there take one look at your scrungy clothes and pimply face and laugh as they pointed you out to their boyfriends? Is that why you are so angry? Get a life little boy. And next time make a reservation before you go down there.[/quote]

[color=red]
WHERE’S MY PIE???
[/color]

Woah… where did that come from.
Really. Please. Are you telling me that the Brown Sugar is not crawling with pretentious people? Please define pretentiousness and explain to me how the typical visitor there is not pretentious. Do you remember the old Brown Sugar on Jin-shan and how different it was? How different the crowd was?

I must have hit a nerve with the ‘snooty ABC’ remark, Ms. Anna Wang. I don’t apologize. Your response validates the epithet.

Your stereotype of Western males in Taiwan (pimples, scrungy) is racist and just plain incorrect.

Dear Moderator: Why is her message not in the ‘flame forum’?

It’s Saturday evening… I’m off to… someplace other than Brown Sugar.

she never said “all western males in taiwan” are pimply and scrungy…but rather you probably are (a conclusion she came to from your censure of the ladies seen at the new brown sugar)

Anna Wang, you gotta unnderstand. Most of the people on this board are escapees from major insane asylums around the world and they are not to be taken seriously. if their rants seem juvenile, racist, stupid, silly and insane (and i am just talking about myself here) then you are right. this is not a reality board. it is just some boys having some fun, and some hip girls too. repeat do not take us seriously. and welcome, join in. but get the mood first. and most of all, forgive them for they know not what they are saying (and they would never say it with their real names and addresses and telephone numbers in a real newspaper so their neighbors could read it). This is all insane anon messages. tread carefully. we love you. really

Why would people want to listen to jazz anyway? Yawn. Ho-hum. Same for the blues.

[quote=“AnnaWang”][quote=“WarMonkey”]I have never seen a more pitiful collection of pretentious people in my life. We didn’t have reservations (good luck getting in without a reservation on the weekend) and decided to wait it out outside to see if a table would become available.

…And I’m just talking about locals. Don’t even get me started on the snooty ABC crowd. :shock: [/quote]
What is your problem! Did the girls there take one look at your scrungy clothes and pimply face and laugh as they pointed you out to their boyfriends? Is that why you are so angry? Get a life little boy. And next time make a reservation before you go down there.[/quote]

whoa.

prozac or a bitch slap.