Brunch with Booze in Kaohsiung - Where is it?

Champagne brunches and other brunches with drinks more common outside of Taiwan than inside of Taiwan.

Singapore for example weekend champagne brunches are everywhere.

It’s not specifically a bar thing, also a restaurant thing especially inside hotels.

2 Likes

Cool. I dont ever remember that in canada either as a child. Though kids werent allowed in most places that served alcohol as i remember. Or my memory is caput. We always had brunch as a between breakfast and lunch meal ,never a drinking situation. I feel somewhat cheated now.

Canada has had boozy brunches for at least a few decades now, at least in the big cities.

1 Like

I feel cheated too. Never heard of this wonderful brunch until I saw this thread. Brunch was always Sunday morning lunch + breakfast in one where I lived.

1 Like

I remembered to ask my mother about this, and I should correct what I posted above. I was absolutely having somewhat boozy “hair of the dog” brunches, usually with a Caesar or two (very rarely with beer), in Vancouver in the early 90s. But my mother insists that, for the brunches when I was a child in the 70s, she and my father would have been drinking coffee, not alcohol. She considers it odd to have any kind of alcohol with Eggs Benedict. So for a very narrow sample, I guess it started as a Gen-X thing?

I mean, it’s kind of the point of a Caesar or Bloody Mary, isn’t it? Before noon with an egg-based dish, or on an airplane. I doubt I have them for any other occasions. (Ah crap, I’m on Eva rather than Air Canada flying to Vancouver this summer. No Caesars onboard, presumably.)

So that’s another thing to do with my parents when I visit this summer!

I have never seen one on a plane either haha. Perhaps this is a wealthy persons thing? I asked my parents yesterday and they said the same, never alcohol at breakfast or brunch. Starting to think they raised me wrong.

Come to think of it, i really cant think what bloody marry would be good with. Maybe eggs are it. I always just did shrimp or nachos haha.

Seems me and wonguser have some catching up to do.

1 Like

I don’t think they list menu options for mixed drinks. You just tell them what you want to drink and they’ll make it for you, at least on international flights; I’m fairly sure I’ve done this in economy. (Who knows what covid has done to this.) I’ve never asked for anything more complex than a Bloody Mary or a rum and coke.

1 Like

I’ve heard positive comments about brunch at the High Five Cafe/Bar although I haven’t been there. Looks like they serve drinks but you probably should call and check about them serving Bloody Marys so you aren’t disappointed.
Makadao Rd 馬卡道路355號
07 586 9203

1 Like

Damn, now i feel cheated twice! I had only ever noticed beer and wine on flights. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

If you pay (or free in high class) they have drinks on Le’ Air Canada basic.

But a Ivy Uni study, says it taste better

1 Like

Bloody Marys? Maybe an American thing, but Mr. & Mrs. T Bloody Mary Mix is standard on most flights on American carriers.

Permanently closed

I woke upfeeling like having a proper western breakfast (English doesn’t count for me, don’t want the beans, mushrooms, or blood). Scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast will do. Or eggs benny.

Seems like mediocre breakfast sandwich or dan bing, again. Will have to pick up some bacon and bread so I can cook breakfast later

On Air Canada it’s called a Caesar.

A bloody mary is not a Ceasar

2 Likes

Bloody Caesar is made with Clamato.

Close, but not the same.

The Regent in Taipei makes the best Bloody Marys in Taiwan for my money.

Yeah, honest mistake

Any ideas for brunch in Kaohsiung? No booze required?

Have you tried NOW & THEN by nybc 駁二店?
Good coffees and breakfasts but no Bloody Marys. They do serve a couple of decent craft beers.

1 Like

Brunch here sucks. I’d try one of the older, fancier hotels, like Grand Hi-Lai, I guess.