Budget Haircut Chains and Tipping

I tried one of those budget haircut chain shops for NT$300. Just a little around the edges. Not bad for a quick trim shape up.

Do you tip?

This one was QBHOUSE http://www.qbhouse.com/tw/sp/.

NT$300 is an expensive haircut around here. NT$100 is a budget place, NT$200 is pretty much standard for a local barber dry cut.

4 Likes

Never tipped in my life for haircut (in taiwan) and they 100% don’t expect a tip.

I’ve gone from USD 30-40 + tip in my younger/vain days to now spending NT 100 at CQ2 here in taiwan.

1 Like

I always go to the same NT$100 place, where they do an excellent job. I only give a tip if I get a cut around CNY, as it’s expected.

3 Likes

300nt is a trip to a hairdresser to have a fancy/time consuming haircut.

Otherwise, 100-200nt, 100 if it’s quick you do it at those 100nt quick haircut places, mom and pop places are around 150.

It depends on what your need is… a hairdresser will always cost more than a simple barber.

Nobody tips in Taiwan, except at those nightclub type places.

1 Like

Taiwan is simply not a tipping culture. If you see a tip jar, you can tip or not as you please. If you round up the fare in a taxi, the driver won’t object. But unlike in the US, nobody expects a tip, and people are not expected to tip.

1 Like

That’s the one thing I like about Taiwan. No hidden charges. Whatever you see on the menu is what you pay. If there are added fees (10% is usual in some restaurants), it is known up front.

You won’t get nasty treatments for not tipping.

The only thing you are missing out on with those $100 haircuts is the awesome 30 min upper body massage and scalp massage that you get with a $400 to $800 cut.

Not really.
Some $100 places have a horrible service, like if the customer was an item in their mass production line. It still can happen in a more expensive place, but not as frequent.
The $100 haircuts also may employ hairstylist apprentices, who will learn their art in your head. I have short hair and a fairly common hairstyle, but I still got surprised on how bad the $100 places can be.

Tipping isn’t common in Taiwan. But, if you want to. It is ok. However, not common.

I usually bring an extra cup of bubble tea. Makes the lady happy and she spends more time and effort on what is left of my hair.

1 Like

That’s a pretty big tip if you’re getting an NT$100 haircut.

Would pay a couple of hundred extra just to avoid that

1 Like

Especially if you consider how little hair I have!

You should just have your wife do the snipping.

My wife has no patience. She would use a lawnmower to get it done quickly.

NT100 plus a bubble tea is not too bad. At least I get to keep my head.

The thought of saving NT$100 (and a bubble tea) wouldn’t motivate her to do a good job?

The only barber I go to these days is Edgewell Personal Care. I prefer the barber called Mr. Schick Hydro.

When in the states I’ll probably use the services of Mr. Dollar S. Club.

No tips.

You shave your head? :open_mouth:

Yep, for about ten years now. Only way to go.

If I didn’t shave my head I’d look like I get a tonsure cut only with a wispy forelock top of forehead. Long hair is not better for me.

Believe me, shaving my head is best for all concerned.