Bus routes in English!

Hi,

Is there a bus plan (paper, digital, …) of Taipei that looks like something like this: citefutee.com/orienter/plan_bus_pdf.php ?

You can buy a “bus guide” printed in Chinese in almost any bookstore, which gives you a list of the bus routes, a little map of where they go (variously oriented, however, which drives me nuts sometimes!), and (separately) a list of the bus stops (all of which are named, sometimes rather inscrutibly, in Chinese) and which bus routes serve each.

I think the problem with producing a map like the one you posted a link for would be the sheer number of buslines in Taipei. It might be a reasonable idea for somebody to sit down and think about which are the MAJOR routes a foreigner might need to get around and then try to distill something out of that.

The other thing to keep in mind is that now, with the MRT, people’s thinking about how to get around Taipei has bene radically changed. I used to know many more bus routes than I can remember now, because now my first reaction is “Is it near the MRT?” with my second choice “Is there an MRT feeder route that would get me there?”

Anybody got any ideas about which would be the essential bus routes? Like some kind of “Top 20” list or something? It might be interesting to get ideas from fairly long-term foreign residents (although many have scooters or cars!) because that might be interesting to relate the bus routes to common destinations for foreigners, not specifically locals.

On another note – waiting for (I think it was) the #20 on Xinyi [Hsinyi] Road yesterday, I noticed that they had up an English list of the stops it served, and it was 95% Pinyin romanization – or was this Tongyong that just happened to be sensible? The only thing that didn’t seem like Pinyin was “Fuhsing”. Might this be the initiative of an individual bus company? Just wondering…

I have an copy of the Taipei bus guide in English, probably well out of date by now. As far as I remember you can get them at a bookstore near to KungGuan MRT station. Anyone remember more clearly?

[quote=“ironlady”]
It might be a reasonable idea for somebody to sit down and think about which are the MAJOR routes a foreigner might need to get around…[/quote]

Can you imagine a bunch of Taiwanese bus company employees sitting down and trying to work this out? I imagine the discussion might be like “Well, foreigners like to eat hamburgers…but there’s McDonald’s everywhere…hmmm, what else do foreigners do? Oh, they like to dance and take drugs…ok, we’ll list some lines (haha!) that go to 2nd Floor and TU. Oh, and foreigners love to go to Tianmu, list that line for sure!”

“I knew a foreigner once who lived in Banqiao.”

“Oh, me too. Imagine that.”

“Ok, list a line that goes out there.”

I use 2 or 3 buses regulary and some do indeed have the route (stops) with some English (romanization) which makes it much easier to use. The signs at the actual stops are still in Chinese only however.
I find it still very difficult to find a bus to a certain place which I am unfamiliar with so a map with both, Chinese and Romanization, would be very much appreciated.

A paper bus guide seems more helpful and convenient, but if you’re specifically looking for a digital map/bus guide, check out taiwan-map.com (English version). I’ve never used the English service, but the Chinese one is ok, especially when I sit at a computer without a bus guide at hand.

Also, some services at the Chinese website are free while others are not, but don’t know about the English one.

This doesn’t cover all the buses and you need to know the number but it’s a start !

citybus.gov.tw/newenglish/english.htm

I am so happy. I finally found English versions of the bus routines in Taipei!! I hope I can do someone a pleasure with this link :wink:

citybus.gov.tw/newenglish/bu … finder.htm

Now I can actually go beyond my 2 buslines I stick to. Yeahh!

Cheers,
– Ronald

Thanks for posting this!

Wow! A useful link! thanks for sharing.

Great link but I mean to faintly remember somebody else posting this before (that’s how I bookmarked it), might have been Rascal.

But maybe I’m wrong, to lazy to look for it right now.

Iris

No, it wasn’t me - I am innocent this time! :wink:

But yes, the link was posted before already.

BTW: What’s an “Philanphropic” bus (277)? Philanthropic perhaps?

I have seen a bus around town with looks very different, a bit like an old tram. Is that the same?
But the route map of that bus on the link posted is still in Chinese only … :frowning:

Does anybody have any information about the Taipei County bus routes?

My kung fu class just moved to Xin yi Road Sec 4. I have to get there from Yung Ho, about 10 mins walk from the Tingshi MRT station since I’m starting a new job there in September.

If I use the MRT, I reckon it’s going to take about an hour to get there, since Da An is the nearest and that’s 3 changes and two walks of about 25 mins.

I can’t figure out any bus that doesn’t go to Taipei Main Station first, and with transfer will take less than an hour.

At the moment I’m walking from my house near Shida Road which only takes about 45 minutes, but I won’t be able to do that when I start the new job.

Time to change classes? Any help on finding out about county busses will be appreciated. I can not read Chinese. :cry:

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“ironlady”]
It might be a reasonable idea for somebody to sit down and think about which are the MAJOR routes a foreigner might need to get around…[/quote]

Can you imagine a bunch of Taiwanese bus company employees sitting down and trying to work this out? I imagine the discussion might be like “Well, foreigners like to eat hamburgers…but there’s McDonald’s everywhere…hmmm, what else do foreigners do? Oh, they like to dance and take drugs…ok, we’ll list some lines (haha!) that go to 2nd Floor and TU. Oh, and foreigners love to go to Tianmu, list that line for sure!”

“I knew a foreigner once who lived in Banqiao.”

“Oh, me too. Imagine that.”

“Ok, list a line that goes out there.”[/quote]
Feeling a little bitter, my forumosa friend?
Me 2.

bookstore in the shihda student center building, on hoping across from shihda rd. it was really handy. don’t know if it’s still published

[quote=“twonavels”]My kung fu class just moved to Xin yi Road Sec 4. I have to get there from Yung Ho (Yonghe), about 10 mins walk from the Tingshi MRT station since I’m starting a new job there in September.

If I use the MRT, I reckon it’s going to take about an hour to get there, since Da’an is the nearest and that’s 3 changes and two walks of about 25 mins.

I can’t figure out any bus that doesn’t go to Taipei Main Station first, and with transfer will take less than an hour.

[/quote]
This is how I’d go about it if I were you: Take the MRT from Tingshi to NTU Hospital and then switch to bus 20, which goes all the way down to Xinyi Sec. 4. Just one transfer!

I’d say bus 20 would be an essential bus route given its easy connection from NTU Hospital station to Xinyi. Another one would be 263, which goes from the same station but to RenAi Road instead.

you could also get off at kuting and catch the 235 right there on hoping, that will take you to the corner of xinyi and anho rd. always short waits on the 235. incubus’s idea’s def. better at rush hour with the bus lanes on xinyi.

The one they sell at Caves which, I think, was put together by a few expats is not too bad but takes some time to sort out at first. It needs to be updated, though. Some routes have stopped and others added.

Thanks for the help!

[quote]This is how I’d go about it if I were you: Take the MRT from Tingshi to NTU Hospital and then switch to bus 20, which goes all the way down to Xinyi Sec. 4. Just one transfer!
[/quote]

This is perfect!