Buses from Taipei to Taidong?

Hey all,

First of all, happy holidays to you.

I would like to go to Taidong for the New Year with some friends, for a possible stay on Green Island. However, the trains are quite full already, so I might need to take a bus to get to Taidong. Does anybody have specific information which company (ies)run(s) on that trajectory, and where we have to get on? I would think around Taipei Main Station, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Lei Tuoma

There are no buses from Taipei to even Hualien. You could try going to Kaoushiung and catching a bus across to Taitung. I’m not entirely sure if they still run this route though. Call the tourist hot line: 0800 011 765.

And how are the trains already full? You can’t book tickets a month in advance afaik.

I would advise you NOT to attempt this. Green Island will be absolutely packed and you are about to experience the worst of Taiwan by traveling at this time. It will take you a full day to get to Taidong, and you are likely to have many, um, adventures. Still, if you think the journey is the trip and have lots of patience, here are some ideas…

I had a quick look around the major bus company sites and backpacker sites. The latter confirmed that no buses run between Suao (in Yilan) and Hualien. So if you want to go down the East Coast, you should probably take a bus to Luodong in Yilan and then switch to a local train to Hualien. From Hualien train/bus station, take a bus down to Taidong.

From Taipei, take Kamalan Bus through Snow Mountain Tunnel to Luodong. Here is the schedule:

kamalan.com.tw/run1105_4.php
The station in Taipei is at Technology Building on Fuxing S. Rd.
台北市復興南路二段202號
No. 202, Fuxing S. Road Section 2 Taipei

Be warned that this route is very popular on weekends and holidays and subject to horrendous traffic jams. You may need to buy your ticket online in advance if you try to go at popular time.

There is a list of local trains between Luodong and Hualien on Jan. 1. It’s in Chinese because I couldn’t make sense of the English site. Basically there is local train every couple of hours. They are slow, but there are no reservations and you will probably get a seat.

Then take either Hualien Bus Company or Dingdong Bus to Taidong. Tell them you want to go to Green Island, so that you can get off at the port (Fugang) before Taidong.

Alternatively, take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and then the Southern Link Rail to Taidong. I think this would be your best option.

區間車 2757

頭城 至 花蓮

05:59

07:24

1小時25分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間車 2759

頭城 至 花蓮

06:32

07:56

1小時24分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間車 2735

宜蘭 至 花蓮

08:19

10:01

1小時42分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間車 2765

宜蘭 至 花蓮

10:12

11:36

1小時24分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間快 3056

新竹 至 花蓮

10:30

12:04

1小時34分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間車 2725

樹林 至 花蓮

16:23

17:49

1小時26分
每天行駛 每日行駛
區間車 2737

宜蘭 至 花蓮

20:07

21:38

1小時31分
每天行駛 每日行駛

Slow day at work, feiren? :slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

For all the reasons stated above, I would say take a train to Hualien. You’ll get a seat or a place to stand if you are patient, but just don’t try it on the Friday night or Saturday beginning CNY. The Friday morning should be OK. From Hualien, take a bus down the coast. Take the Highway 11 route, it’s more beautiful than the inner rift valley (Highway 9). You only need a bus as far as Chen Gong (also spelled Chenkung), as buses from there (the humorously named Ding Dong bus company!) will take you to Taidong. Actually, get off at Fugang Fishport - just before Taidong - to get the boat to Green Island.

How about by plane? AFAIK, they have sweet deals with hotel, too. That’ll be handy.

Are you sure the trains are booked out?

2 days ago I bought a ticket on the HSR from Taichung to Taipei for the evening of Dec 31st and there were still plenty of seats. I realize that Taipei-Taidong is not doable by HSR, but a lot of people will go to Taipei that night for the fireworks.

Thanks for the replies so far, gents.

FAIK, the trains that I am interested in are indeed full. And to clear something uo, maybe, I am not going for Chinese NY, it’s the Western one.

So chances are that there will be a little less people then. Hopefully :wink:

Thanks again! And I will let you know how things work out.

Lei Tuoma

Forget the bus. A much easier route is to just take the HSR to Zuoying and then tranfer to the TRA South Link at Kaohsiung Station.

HSR # 103
Taipei 06:36
Zuoying 08:12
KMRT
Zuoying
Kaohsiung Main Station
TRA # 2051
Kaohsiung 09:09
Taidong 11:42

[quote=“Lei Tuoma”]Thanks for the replies so far, gents.

FAIK, the trains that I am interested in are indeed full. And to clear something uo, maybe, I am not going for Chinese NY, it’s the Western one.

So chances are that there will be a little less people then. Hopefully :wink:

Thanks again! And I will let you know how things work out.

Lei Tuoma[/quote]

How do you know the trains are full? Usually they only allow advance booking 3 days in advance. Unless you are thinking of some special “sight seeing trains”, there should still be a chance of reserving online one minute after midnight 3 days before the date of travel, no problem.

Even if they are full, somehow, people often make reservations they don’t use in Taiwan, just to cover their bases. So, you can often get a seat anyway, the day of travel.

Taking the HSR and the South Link to Taidong will cost you between 1600-1800 NT and take about 5-6 hours. Taking a flight will cost you 2238 NT and take only 2 hours including checking in. Neither way is terrible scenic compared to the East Coast.

Chung is right. HSR / KMRT / TRA. Anything but HSR on the yoyo run is torture.

By air may be preferable if your commute to Songshan is short. The South Link is typical TRA slowness.

That is what I have done, my friends.

HSR to the South, and then towards Taidong on a regular train. On that one, I don’t have a seat, but as you say, I might find a seat once I am on the train.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tuoma

Take the plane, it’s a pleasure.