Butchered English and funny pics

2 that I really like.

One is a sign here in Changhua for a school that prepares you for the GEPT.

“GEPT. How to pass? How to get high score?”

Another was a shirt I saw at the Changhua Train Station. It was a black shirt with a glittery rose. It said, “Deflower Daddy’s Little Girl.” I was immediately in love. :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

I complimented a cute Taiwanese girl once and she told me that I had a pretty mouse…it took some more explanation to figure out that she meant my mouth and not the other thing.

7 Likes

Are we supposed to believe that it can generate the pearls out of nothing?

1 Like

I appreciate the fact that the the ad makes use of balls of color. Reminds me of a certain song…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RgXpIl8XM

4 Likes

I’m sure services children the wonderful experienced and

1 Like

IMAG0050

Can’t wait to try this place… braised placenta and… I hate to think what they serve up here.

4 Likes

The small Chinese characters on the right say 滷味. Not sure what’s up there. Maybe they do both.

This person – https://micro.oxus.net/2018/08/03/taiwan-never-ceases.html – links to this page, which seems to explain:

I got a chuckle out of my friend referring to someone who writes poems as a poemer.

But a funny story for a mistake I made in Chinese; once in the park someone was walking their pet ferret. Not something I’d seen before. I heard someone else ask what it was, thus I learnt the Chinese word 貂。That was before I learnt what else is pronounced similarly.
The next day on the bus, I turned to my friend and said in Chinese “do you know what yi zhi diao is? (I stroked someone’s diao in the park yesterday)”

1 Like

So obstetrics and gynecology belongs in Whack Things in Taiwan: not Butchered English.

Not to worry. Wouldn’t 屌 be ‘yi ba diao’? Or ‘yi gen’? Anyone know the correct measure-word?

Fish tacos?

It might be a sort of play on words. The phrase literally translates as “related to stuff produced by women”. So maybe they’re having a joke that revolves around a (female) lao ban niang producing the food. But my Chinese isn’t good enough to be sure about that.

Selection_026

Pretty famous wedding pastry store in Taichung. Great tasting cookies, though… I don’t think necromancer means what they think it means…

4 Likes

While Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary’s first sense of necromancy involves magically communicating with the dead, the second sense has to do with magic and sorcery in general:

Dictionary.com seems to say as much:

I think that sort of innocent hyperbole is pretty common; for example:

That’s a weight off my mind.

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s related to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxN00PA2ic

Is the video about selling sweet red beans to protect eagles?

I Googled around, using 護鷹藜麥椰蓉派, and sometimes “林清源” (which appears to be the name of the man in the video), or anyway I think that’s what I did :slight_smile:, but I couldn’t find anything satisfactory in the way of a connection between the (quinoa?/buckwheat?)-coconut cakes (pies?) and the sweet red beans discussed in the video (but because I don’t know Chinese, I may have searched wrong or missed something in the results).

Edited to add, the wooden sign at the top of the picture seems to contain language (“找回生態平衡守護老鷹展翅”–I hope I got that right) similar to language on a page which seems to advertise red beans, and also similar to language on some pages which seem to advertise some kind of snack containing coconut (milk?) and (brown?) rice.

The claim is that the way the red beans and quinoa are grown, probably without certain chemical pesticides, prevents poisons being passed up the food chain by small critters who would eat their crops, and protects the eagles that way.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information, @hansioux!

Kind of modest, really

1 Like