Buy a forum a coffee

Sounds about right. Coffees from everyone!

2 Likes

Presley can buy us cups of coffee if he wants. We know how posh he is.

1 Like

It just seems like its become common parlance with coffee. We don’t say “I’m going to get a water” or “I’m going to get a tea”. But it’s perfectly acceptable to fuck with non-count nouns when it comes to coffee. Like that tarry muck is some sort of god or something.

I do, sometimes.

1 Like

I do. All the time.

1 Like

I think this one is especially common in places where people tend to drink bottled water

Languages change with use, also. Lots of Brits will say they’re going to have a cuppa, dropping the tea

In North America, people who tend to get single serve coffee or water have dropped the container measure word. It’s fine

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s beverages in general. Probably there are some regional preferences?

" cuppa" is a count noun.

A cuppa what? Hot @Dr_Milker juice? The point was that languages evolve, the meaning is still clear in usage despite being simplified

Clearly my teat juice is meant to be enjoyed in a glass. We’re not cavemen/women/they/zir/etc…

I was deliberately ambiguous there on the beverage :wink:

Enjoy your cuppa mystery juice. But hey, it’s countable!

That’s a common excuse used by people who write ROFL and LOL. I suppose it’s fine in casual circumstances where people know what you mean, but it just reads trashy to me. As @tempogain says, I am a bit of a snob.

1 Like

Probably my degree in linguistics getting in the way

1 Like

I also studied linguistics, Prof.

I guess you were sick the day they covered language changing for efficiency?

Edit: to be fair, i didnt take a sociolinguistics course. I think i picked this tidbit up somewhere else

They do, some will just call it a cup of Rossie, or Rossie Lee.

Rhymes with

cow pee!

1 Like

No cup/glass for you… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://i.imgur.com/99jt9Xx.gif

3 Likes

Don’t take the pisses out of cute cats!

:smirk_cat:

2 Likes

Looks like somebody needs to retake basic bovine anatomy… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like