Buying a cat or dog in Taiwan

Icon, where is the shelter you’re talking about?

Anyone buys them and within seconds the pet shop will refill the cages and perhaps ask the breeder for more because demand is increasing. I feel sorry for the puppies but by buying them you are not doing a good thing.[/quote]

Rascal is correct: It’s a sad fact that many compassionate people accidentally help perpetuate this cruel trade in this way.

Better to go see cute pups in glass boxes at the dog pound, where they’re about to die if you don’t step in and save them.

A couple of news that recently illustrate Stray Dog’s point:

The National Highway Administration has noticed an increase in the number of dogs dumped at the side of freeways, higways, etc. This kind of dumping means certain death, and while they try their best to save the dogs, at least 3 everyday, many die or are seriously hurt in these dangerous places. They blame teh increase on “the economy”.

Furthermore, on the MRT newspaper today there was a piece on a “grooming” school. They have more than 70 poodles, which, of course, make a lot of noise. Hence, the dogs are about to be all “debarked” -meaning their vocal cords will be cut so they will not be able to bark so loudly. Same with 60 Maltese that they are holding in a location in Tucheng. Dogs “go from 15 to 65 thousand NTs”.

Going back to the economy, on the same TV segment talking about how people have to sell their Mercedes or BMWs -Awful! Look, they have to sell both their new luxury cars because of losses in the stock market!- they mentioned that some pet stores have started putting animals to sleep because they are not having such brisk sales now “that the economy/stock market is so bad”.

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/a/081014/2/17lea.html

Wonder what happened to the OP? Maybe he picked up some Taiwanese manhua from his other thread?

[quote=“Stray Dog”]lonelywolf21, you say you’re interested in buying a dog or cat while visiting Taiwan, and I have to ask why Taiwan is high in your list of places to purchase a ‘purebred’. Ask Maoman about the quality of inbreds … sorry, I mean ‘purebreds’ … here.

If you buy a ‘purebred’ in Taiwan, you are supporting a very unscrupulous business (more unscrupulous and ignorant than backyard breeders anywhere) and would be very likely to purchase an animal that will suffer not too far down the road with some congenital defect and cause you considerable veterinary expense. We know of NO reputable breeders here.

A newspaper did an expose on the ‘purebred’ industry here and showed that you could register your pet rabbit with the local ‘kennel club’ and receive an official certificate showing it to be a pedigree German Shepherd if you so desire.

As others have wisely advised you, if you really want to buy a dog or cat in Taiwan, then you - and the companion animal population as a whole - would be far better off if you adopted one from a rescue group or local animal shelter (where they reside in abundance awaiting their final day no further than 10 days away). Last time I was there, they had every breed available in Taiwan amply represented, from beagles to German shepherds to Burmese mountain dogs to Labs and on and on and on and on …

If you want help finding the local dog pound, let me know; I’d be happy to drive you there and help you pick out a healthy, trainable, lifelong companion before he or she is killed for overburdening an already saturated market or for no longer being a cute puppy.

Sean 0920 620 109[/quote]

Thank you-do you know of any good places to buy a cat?

brandy@animalstaiwan.org

Does anyone happen to know where the pound here in Pingtung City is?

[quote=“craya”]Does anyone happen to know where the pound here in Pingdong City is?[/quote]I know where it is, but it’s very difficult to find. The first time I went there I paid a taxi driver to take me there, and he had to call the shelter because he could not find the place either. He finally found it after calling the shelter a couple times

The manager there is Linda, and her phone number is: 0956307666. She is very nice, but you need someone who can speak Chinese to call her. She can give you the full address and you can go from there.

It’s not a pound like the kill shelter in Kaohsiung or other government funded kill shelters. It’s a no-kill shelter run by Buddhists. I don’t recall seeing cats there(too much barking and too stressful for cats), but they have over 600 dogs. Most breeds can be found there, of all sizes and colors, and of course, they have a lot of mutts, too; Retrievers, Labs, Sharpeis, Beagles, Tugos, Terriers, lap dogs, etc. The adoption fee is between NT100 and NT500, I think. They also do post-adoption visits to make sure the animals are well cared for.

If what you want is a cat, feel free to contact me, we have about ten of them waiting to be adopted. I can send you pictures. We are in Kaohsiung, about 40 minutes from Pingtung.

Chris

Cell: 0971070770

More on the topic of buying “pure” breeds:

I was laughing out loud on the MRT, reading about this starlet’s “hei xin huo” dog. A Taiwanese “actress/singer” bought a one-month old (first red flag) “red” (cooper toned) poodle -which is the latest fashion right now on impulse (another red flag) from a nearby pet shop (as if he was a shirt or something).

Well, it seems she got a “hei xin huo”, a fake. The more she washes the doggie, the more he turns from cooper, to brown-specs, to latte. Now, he’s sort of greyish.

When she went to the store, they told her she was using the wrong kind of shampoo. (Yeah, must switch to Clairol Colorfast Maintenance Shampoo and Conditioner).

She insists “she still loves him” and “when she has time, takes him out”.

Sigh

Well the rabbit gets fucked.
Proper fucked?

1 Like

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“craya”]Does anyone happen to know where the pound here in Pingdong City is?[/quote]I know where it is, but it’s very difficult to find. The first time I went there I paid a taxi driver to take me there, and he had to call the shelter because he could not find the place either. He finally found it after calling the shelter a couple times

The manager there is Linda, and her phone number is: 0956307666. She is very nice, but you need someone who can speak Chinese to call her. She can give you the full address and you can go from there.

It’s not a pound like the kill shelter in Kaohsiung or other government funded kill shelters. It’s a no-kill shelter run by Buddhists. I don’t recall seeing cats there(too much barking and too stressful for cats), but they have over 600 dogs. Most breeds can be found there, of all sizes and colors, and of course, they have a lot of mutts, too; Retrievers, Labs, Sharpeis, Beagles, Tugos, Terriers, lap dogs, etc. The adoption fee is between NT100 and NT500, I think. They also do post-adoption visits to make sure the animals are well cared for.

If what you want is a cat, feel free to contact me, we have about ten of them waiting to be adopted. I can send you pictures. We are in Kaohsiung, about 40 minutes from Pingdong.

Chris

Cell: 0971070770[/quote]

Well, I finally found a house; 3 floors; 2nd and 3rd floor are mine whilst the 1st floor is occupied by my new boss’s 3 cars and stuff= =
Where abouts in Pingtung is this shelter at? I’m gonna give this woman a call Wednesday but just wondered if its in the city or county.

It’s roughly north-west of the city in the county. Let us know how that works out for you.

marboulette

I got a purebred Shiba Inu (didn’t buy her, she was advertised online…was kept in a cage for a year and I thought I’d go rescue her)

she came with a certificate and medal…with her family tree etc…and the moment I took her to the vet he checked her knees and said…no way.

Shibas are known for their troubled knees…and her knee pops out easily…it’s a stage 2 he says(Stage 1 are still OK to breed). It is the first thing breeders check for, and if the papers were legit, there is no way she would have been sold. She is ‘useless’ for breeding purposes because no real breeder would use her because of her faulty knee.

I don’t give a hoot about that though, had her neutered an hour after she got to my house. Just to show that some breeders here are crooks.

[quote=“marboulette”]It’s roughly north-west of the city in the county. Let us know how that works out for you.

marboulette[/quote]
Sounds about where I’m moving to as it is–Ligang/Likang/里港

In case you don’t speak Chinese, and for anyone else reading this thread, this is Nancy’s phone number: 0922740905 Nancy is Linda’s sister. In other words, Linda runs the shelter but she speaks very little English. Her sister Nancy speaks English well and she will be happy to help you find the place.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]In case you don’t speak Chinese, and for anyone else reading this thread, this is Nancy’s phone number: 0922740905 Nancy is Linda’s sister. In other words, Linda runs the shelter but she speaks very little English. Her sister Nancy speaks English well and she will be happy to help you find the place.

marboulette[/quote]

Cool thanks, but chinese isn’t a problem ^^ I got that part down~~

[quote=“craya”][quote=“marboulette”]In case you don’t speak Chinese, and for anyone else reading this thread, this is Nancy’s phone number: 0922740905 Nancy is Linda’s sister. In other words, Linda runs the shelter but she speaks very little English. Her sister Nancy speaks English well and she will be happy to help you find the place.

marboulette[/quote]

Cool thanks, but Chinese isn’t a problem ^^ I got that part down~~[/quote]

Actually, we just got off the phone with Linda but she said there were no dogs at her place for adoption.

Ah well, we have dogs for adoption. http://stray-dogs.org

Besides the dogs shown on the page, we have 3 Labradors ready for adoption as well:

http://bobhonest.blogspot.com/2008/11/there-were-5-labradors.html

Did you guys see the article about a week ago on Taipei Times regarding teh increase in dumped dogs? Right there in the picture there was a Shar pei, at least two Labs and a Basset Hound -Hush puppies ad one. She’s got 300, gotta be there one cute one for the OP.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2008/11/02/2003427545

Animals Taiwan may have a shar pei available soon: 02 2833 8820.