Buying a cat or dog in Taiwan

well my wife is coming soon to Taiwan, so i will move to a house or a bigger apartment, i will be able to adopt a cat or a dog, for the dog i dont mind if its 1 to 2 years old, but i do want a french bulldog… as mentioned in a previous topic, if there is any to adopt let me know… and about the cat, well i am not into cats but my wife loves them, she has a couple back in my country and she wants to have one here… but she wants one of those with long hair… and if not old its better… im sure if i dont get her one she would end up buying one, so i prefer to rescue one if possible and if she agrees… anyway that will be in February or March so i still have time to think…

Does anyone here know of any catteries, cat shelters and cat breeders in Taiwan?
I have heard of Mickey Su catteries and this one:
looncats.wetpaint.com/?t=anon

Didn’t someone point you in the direction of Animals Taiwan already? What;s wrong with the cats they have for adoption? They are in northern Taiwan, and maybe you are located in the south? If so, we also have many cats available for adoption, but you will have to commit, in writing, to care for the cat well for the duration of his/her life regardless of where or when you leave Taiwan. If that sounds fair to you, fell free to contact me.

Chris

cell: 0971070770

[quote=“marboulette”]Didn’t someone point you in the direction of Animals Taiwan already? What;s wrong with the cats they have for adoption? They are in northern Taiwan, and maybe you are located in the south? If so, we also have many cats available for adoption, but you will have to commit, in writing, to care for the cat well for the duration of his/her life regardless of where or when you leave Taiwan. If that sounds fair to you, fell free to contact me.

Chris

cell: 0971070770[/quote]

Hi-I just edited my post. Do you have purebred cats?

Does Animals Taiwan have purebred cats?

Craya, I’m really sorry, I lost track of this thread. I talked to Linda 5 minutes ago(not quite 5 min.) and she told me that they do not let people know where the shelter is because they get too many animals dumped on their doorsteps. Something I fully understand. If you or anyone wants to adopt a dog from them, I can take you there personally on the weekends. They have about 600 dogs to choose from. Yes, I know, I’m months late to reply which is really not helpful. My apologies again, like I said, I somehow lost track of this thread.

Same goes for Maoman’s post. I never replied. Obi was adopted very quickly. We have another British Bulldog now, though. He’s currently being treated for coccidia and demodex, but he should be tip top shape in about 8 to 10 weeks. He’s about 4-5 yo and also very handsome.

marboulette

[quote=“lonelywolf21”][quote=“marboulette”]Didn’t someone point you in the direction of Animals Taiwan already? What;s wrong with the cats they have for adoption? They are in northern Taiwan, and maybe you are located in the south? If so, we also have many cats available for adoption, but you will have to commit, in writing, to care for the cat well for the duration of his/her life regardless of where or when you leave Taiwan. If that sounds fair to you, fell free to contact me.

Chris

Does Animals Taiwan have purebred cats?[/quote]

Not sure about AT, but if you explain why purebred is important to you, I will answer your question. Fair enough?

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“lonelywolf21”][quote=“marboulette”]Didn’t someone point you in the direction of Animals Taiwan already? What;s wrong with the cats they have for adoption? They are in northern Taiwan, and maybe you are located in the south? If so, we also have many cats available for adoption, but you will have to commit, in writing, to care for the cat well for the duration of his/her life regardless of where or when you leave Taiwan. If that sounds fair to you, fell free to contact me.

Chris

Does Animals Taiwan have purebred cats?[/quote]

Not sure about AT, but if you explain why purebred is important to you, I will answer your question. Fair enough?

marboulette[/quote]

I prefer them. My family and I have always preferred purebred cats, and to us it’s important to pick a cat the matches your personality.

Is an animal rescue group the same thing as a shelter?

It’s clear that you prefer purebreds. My question was why.

I guess it depends on the rescue group. In our case, we prefer to call it a foster center as opposed to a shelter because a shelter sounds too much like hording pets, and we certainly aren’t into that. But the bottom line is it’s just our home, and we do our best to find good homes for them.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]It’s clear that you prefer purebreds. My question was why.

I guess it depends on the rescue group. In our case, we prefer to call it a foster center as opposed to a shelter because a shelter sounds too much like hording pets, and we certainly aren’t into that. But the bottom line is it’s just our home, and we do our best to find good homes for them.

marboulette[/quote]

Thank you for answering my posts. It’s hard to say why I prefer them-I think they are just easier to keep up with. I’m kind of picky about how a mixed-breed cat looks. Do you know of any breeders other than the two I just listed?

Sorry, I don’t know any breeders. I do know pet shops that sell cats, but I would not recommend buying a cat from them.

You are mistaken in thinking that purebred are easier to keep up with. They have a shorter life expectancy, and they are more prone to diseases than mixed breeds. I think that looking for a cat that has the right personality match would be more important than looks, and it’s very difficult to evaluate the personality of 99% of purebred cats because they spent their entire life in a cage and thus, were not raised in an environment where they can actually develop any personality other than the ability to cope with living in a confined space with zero stimuli.

marboulette

Hi marboulette, you wrote about having tones of dogs, is there any French bulldog around? actually u mentioned about the British bulldog but i think its too old… since i want to have a cat and i already have a ferret… i would love a younger one so they can get alone easier… and if you know about a cat with long hair (maybe not too long) also not old because of the ferret… i live in Hsinchu so if there are any candidates send me please a PM and i can give you my mail for pics or something like that !!
thx for your help!!!

To get along with smaller animals, you may find an older dog suits very easily. :wink:

Thx for the tip, if that is ok then let me know of any French bulldog that u might get and/or a young cat ( i am not much into cats so i would like him since he is young to set a good relationship) jeje…

[quote=“marboulette”]Sorry, I don’t know any breeders. I do know pet shops that sell cats, but I would not recommend buying a cat from them.

You are mistaken in thinking that purebred are easier to keep up with. They have a shorter life expectancy, and they are more prone to diseases than mixed breeds. I think that looking for a cat that has the right personality match would be more important than looks, and it’s very difficult to evaluate the personality of 99% of purebred cats because they spent their entire life in a cage and thus, were not raised in an environment where they can actually develop any personality other than the ability to cope with living in a confined space with zero stimuli.

marboulette[/quote]

That’s why I wanted a purebred cat-cat guides tell you what personality they have.

Sure, buy a purebred. But the demand for purebred animals supports an ugly industry. Breeders have no use for many of the puppies or kittens they produce, yet they keep breeding to satisfy, well, people like you, who want an animal with “the right specifications”.

Hope you get just the right color.

[quote=“lonelywolf21”][quote=“marboulette”]Sorry, I don’t know any breeders. I do know pet shops that sell cats, but I would not recommend buying a cat from them.

marboulette[/quote]

That’s why I wanted a purebred cat-cat guides tell you what personality they have.[/quote]

Fair point, but cat guides mean squat in Taiwan, mate, because animals are treated like garbage by breeders which does affect any animal deeply. Once you get your head around that, you’ll understand why some of us look at this from a different angle.

marboulette

PS: omerojs, I will reply to you tomorrow. It’s late and I’m off to bed.

In the 1950s Dobermans had NO inherited defects…now they have 6. Many Dalmations go blind and it is linked to the gene ‘designed’ to make their spots rounder. Bulldogs have allergies, breathing problems, can’t get too much exercise. Sharpeis have double the amount of skin that they need… Dachunds get bad arthritis because their bodies are designed to be longer and their legs shorter. Any animal with a really short snout has breathing problems and asthma… Look up ‘Twisty cats’ …people are breeding cats so that they have an extra flap on their front paws…

cats and dogs are dying of aids (FIDS) leukemia etc etc etc.

you can’t design animals…Great Danes are lucky to live for 7 years… it’s just a very sad situation and the animals are paying for it. If you are really set on a pedigree dog, why not go to shelters and see if there are any there…then you can have the animal checked out…when they are young pups its hard to see what will surface later. I got my Shiba Inu(a rescue) 4 years ago…she came with a certificate with her family tree, and a medal to show she’s a pedigree. The vet felt her knee and immediately said that the certificate can’t be real because her knee pops out and that is the first thing breeders check for to see if they can be sold. She would never have been given those papers and thumbs up to breed with her knee problem.

Well said, Battery and all. If I may add my own 5 cents:

The local vet has a Golden retriever that needs a home. Ready to go, checkes, a bit skinny but that can be fixed. In no time you can have him looking like a little lion. Normal price on the market: 30 thousand Nts. Yours for free to a loving home.

This is the same one who had a French bulldog for adoption a while back -the one thrown away for a small, easy to solve skin condition.

If people dispose of such expensive pets so easily -ask anyone who rescues animals- and the so-called “breeders” here -which everyone knows it is just a scam, mostly, cha bu duo, unacceptable by international standards- , why should you contribyute to teh problem and waste your hard earned money?

We invite you to adopt a rescue. Choose all you want, we have plenty to cover all bases, colors, temperament, age… No matter how exotic, we’ve got’em. Didn’t someone say that there was even a camel at the pound?

Think of it as karma dollars while saving your own money -my Maltese requires medications for up to 3000 nts a month or more. If a doggie has been out on the street and survived, he’s smarter, healthier, and stronger in will than any pet shop refugee who’s never even set foot on teh floor -they keep them in cages all the time.

A neighbor ai xin mama has a small kitty she is nursing -well, giving him his milk in a bottle- and he’ll also be ready for adoption in 3 weeks, once he’s weaned and had his shots. Gorgeous. Pics and ad later.

Oh, and can I interest you in a beagle female? Sports fans required.

Hey Icon can you keep an eye for me on french bulldogs please !!! and a small, and by small i mean young, cat with not so short hair, if you get to see something like that let me know or send me some pics or pm me ok !! thx
many of you will wonder why i want a french bulldog, well to start with i dont want a big size dog, i dont have the time to actually do exercise with the dog every day, i have the time for a walk in the morning and a longer walk in the night and plenty of time on the weekends, i do have a bigger house but i work most of the day… but my wife is at home… but she is studying… and i love a dog with a big dog personality… all my dogs have been big dogs, i am not used to chihuahuas or poodles… i dont mind the health issues, i can take care of it… what i would not do is to adopt a dog that requires too much attention due to a disease or a health issue or accident, bot because i wouldn’t like to, but because i dont have the time for that… sorry my little friends (the dogs needing a home in those conditions)

No te preocupes, yo me acuerdo de ti. Estoy atenta a encontrar tu perrito. :wink:

In the meantime, do not worry, there are many healthy pets waiting for a home. We do not release them to a new househood unless they are ship-shape. That is part of the reason I never parted ways with Toto. The other is that he’s so adorable I fell in love with him and he’s part of our family now. So I do what’s necessary to keep him confortable and healthy and happy.