Buying a cat or dog in Taiwan

[quote=“omerojs”]Hey Icon can you keep an eye for me on french bulldogs please !!! and a small, and by small I mean young, cat with not so short hair, if you get to see something like that let me know or send me some pics or pm me ok !! thx
many of you will wonder why I want a french bulldog, well to start with I don’t want a big size dog, I don’t have the time to actually do exercise with the dog every day, I have the time for a walk in the morning and a longer walk in the night and plenty of time on the weekends, I do have a bigger house but i work most of the day… but my wife is at home… but she is studying… and i love a dog with a big dog personality… all my dogs have been big dogs, I am not used to chihuahuas or poodles… I don’t mind the health issues, i can take care of it… what I would not do is to adopt a dog that requires too much attention due to a disease or a health issue or accident, bot because I wouldn’t like to, but because I don’t have the time for that… sorry my little friends (the dogs needing a home in those conditions)[/quote]

Knowing your limitation for caring for a fellow animal is a good thing. Certainly not something to apologize for.

Do go and check out the Taipei Animal Shelter (Neihu dog pound) regularly - they have every breed going in their facility at some time or another.

Hi Stray Dog is it possible that you send me the address in Chinese or the GPS position by PM because i live in Hsinchu and i dont go often to Taipei… i would really appreciate it
thx

No problem: http://www.tmiah.tcg.gov.tw/html/place.htm#2

When you’re there, tell them what you’re looking for. No guarantees, but maybe they’ll keep an eye out for you.

Hi Omerojs, I have a really playful kitten ready for adoption. She has medium length ('normal") hair. I put a couple pictures on the Rescues and Adoptions forum. I can send you more photos if you want. She gets on well with the dog.
I think there is also a shelter in Banqiao to look for your new dog…
(there are at least a couple in Taipei County - anyone have addresses?)

Thx Guys, i will probably go to taipei this weekend (sat) to take a look and tell them to keep an eye for me on what i might need…

[quote=“omerojs”]Hi marboulette, you wrote about having tones of dogs, is there any French bulldog around? actually u mentioned about the British bulldog but I think its too old… since I want to have a cat and i already have a ferret… I would love a younger one so they can get alone easier… and if you know about a cat with long hair (maybe not too long) also not old because of the ferret… i live in Hsinchu (Xinzhu) so if there are any candidates send me please a PM and i can give you my mail for pics or something like that !!
thx for your help!!![/quote]

Hey,

No long hair cat, I’m afraid. If find that they are fairly rare as far as rescues are concerned. We have rescued maybe a dozen of them over the years, but they have all been adopted pretty quickly. Will keep an eye out for you, though.

A friend rescued a French Bulldog about 10 days ago. It has pretty bad case of scabies on its face, but it will clear up soon with proper care. Scabies is really common and very easy to treat. The little guy is super friendly. My friend doesn’t want to let him go until the scabies is gone. I’m guessing about 6 weeks or so. She has someone who expressed interest in adopting but it’s not certain. If it falls through, I will definitely put you in touch with her and you can work out the details from there. This is a private rescue and it would be a private adoption. The pooch is not neutered, though, and we can have him neutered, microchipped and vaccinated for free for anyone who wants to adopt him.

Also, I am going to Pingtung this weekend so I will stop by the shelter and have a look for you. If I see a French Bulldog, I will take pics and find out the age, etc, and I will post pics here for you. The distance is a bit of a problem, though. We delivered a pooch to Taipei last weekend and I must say, it’s a long drive and by the time you add up the gas and the freeway tolls, it’s expensive. Best if you found something up north, but if all else fails that is still a viable option.

Good for you for looking at all possible adoption avenues. That is the way to go, and I wish more people would do the same.

Best,

marboulette

Thx my friend !!! i would definitely be interested in that little buddy and if its when he has already heal its even better bcz i have a ferret at home and i am afraid it might affect him… but thx a lot for your help !!! and yes, i think why to buy if i can rescue a little one that needs help !!! sorry if i am picki with the breed but its due to my limitations and personal likes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“omerojs”]Thx my friend !!![/quote]Not a problem at all.

[quote] sorry if I am picki with the breed but its due to my limitations and personal likes ;P[/quote]I am a real fan of Border Collies. Very rare here, though. I’ve only ever seen 2 or three in Taiwan. Personally, I think you must be out of your mind to like those Frenchie Bulldogs. Man, they are fuuugly. :laughing: They look like gremlins. But yeah, to each his own, and that’s how the story goes. :wink:

marboulette

also check this site…my chinese SUCKS, but there are many pedigrees. I think it’s people getting tired of theirs etc.

meetpets.idv.tw/dogs.php?pages=2

heres a French BUlldog, but I think he/she’s 4 yrs old.

meetpets.idv.tw/dogs_detail.php?id=25783

Is a French bulldog and a Boston terrier the same thing?

They’re very similar: the Boston is taller, with longer front legs, and a bit more lively.

smalldogsparadise.com/small- … h-bulldog/

Hi guys i have a question, kind of urgent one… i went to the Taipei shelter yesterday, the one you guys told me to go and i saw a very beautiful GR that is about 8 months old, my wife loved it, my brother and his wife also loved him and of course i did as well (i went with my wife, my brother and his wife ) but there is one problem, the dog was rescued like 10~20 days ago but he has a chip… but they tried to contact the owners and they were not living in the same address anymore, so the shelter sent some letters and they have to wait for a regulatory period of UP TO 6 MONTHS… that is crazy… its a puppy, when that time is over and he gets open for adoption his playful mind will be different, he wont be the same dog i saw yesterday anymore… i could see that they take good care of the dogs they have, but to take care is one thing and to love a dog is another… well my question is this one, i would like to foster that dog in my house, my wife said its ok and i have space for him… and in case the “owner” doesn’t show up then i would just adopt him, if the owner does shop up then i would give it back but at least the dog would have enjoyed his time here with me…
please if someone can help me with this situation i would be very happy…

Ah you poor sucker. That’s what happens to people who love dogs. The have a certain breed in mind and after visiting the shelter they go home with a completely different dog. :slight_smile:

I think your idea is wonderful so long as they allow you to take him home to foster. They may have some strange policy about chipped dogs whose owners can’t be located. If they agree to let you foster, then why not? Might be a bit hard to let him go, especially if you foster for a few months, but you would be doing a wonderful thing for that dog, either you end up keeping him or not. And if you don’t, there are plenty of them hoping to be noticed by folks like you.

Hat’s off! :notworthy:

marb

[quote=“omerojs”]Hi guys I have a question, kind of urgent one… I went to the Taipei shelter yesterday, the one you guys told me to go and I saw a very beautiful GR that is about 8 months old, my wife loved it, my brother and his wife also loved him and of course i did as well (I went with my wife, my brother and his wife ) but there is one problem, the dog was rescued like 10~20 days ago but he has a chip… but they tried to contact the owners and they were not living in the same address anymore, so the shelter sent some letters and they have to wait for a regulatory period of UP TO 6 MONTHS… that is crazy… its a puppy, when that time is over and he gets open for adoption his playful mind will be different, he wont be the same dog I saw yesterday anymore… i could see that they take good care of the dogs they have, but to take care is one thing and to love a dog is another… well my question is this one, I would like to foster that dog in my house, my wife said its ok and I have space for him… and in case the “owner” doesn’t show up then I would just adopt him, if the owner does shop up then I would give it back but at least the dog would have enjoyed his time here with me…
please if someone can help me with this situation I would be very happy…[/quote]

so guys, i will go to taipei again today, what are the odds of getting to foster the dog?

Dunno, but I will be praying for the best result. You have the doggie’s best interests in mind.

I mean, it would be a win-win for them: one less mouth to feed, better conditions, easier access… and adoption more or less guaranted if owners just “dissappeared”.

omerojs, I hope they let you do this.

If they do, make sure that you accept the dog might have to go back at some point.

Also, as soon as you have the pup in your care, get him to vet and have him tested for parvovirus and distemper; these diseases are prevalent in the TAS, as they have no quarantine nor vaccinations for incoming animals. If the shelter insists on vaccinating the pup there, insist they test him first to make sure he isn’t harboring the diseases or otherwise weak (immune-system wise), or he will get sick from the vaccinations.

And post pics. :wink:

ok, so i went again to the shelter and talk to them and offer them to foster the dog but they just didnt get the point… they understood what i wanted but they just told me they dont have the power to do that because all of them are just volunteers… and then asked to talk to someone but didnt work, they told me its the law and the procedure to follow… i did give them all my data just in case…
after that sad incident we were kind of sad so another guy that was there with his dog that was adopted near 6 months ago told us his story, he went there one day and the da before they had to “clean” around 150 dogs and on the day he went they were going to “clean” another group… i understand this situation… but still he saw a beautiful black female dog with long hair a just loved it and took it home, so he told us to go and check for more dogs, maybe there is another one that needs the opportunity… so we went back in and found another beautiful GR about 2~3 years old, he is open for adoptions on april 3rd so i couldnt take him… but i will go again that day before 10 AM to make sure i keep him, we took him out for a walk and played with him for about 20 min and he was just lovely… now i just have to wait and see what happens…
i will post some pics of the new candidate for my family as soon as i take him with me !!

[quote=“Battery9”]In the 1950s Dobermans had NO inherited defects…now they have 6. Many Dalmations go blind and it is linked to the gene ‘designed’ to make their spots rounder. Bulldogs have allergies, breathing problems, can’t get too much exercise. Sharpeis have double the amount of skin that they need… Dachunds get bad arthritis because their bodies are designed to be longer and their legs shorter. Any animal with a really short snout has breathing problems and asthma… Look up ‘Twisty cats’ …people are breeding cats so that they have an extra flap on their front paws…

cats and dogs are dying of aids (FIDS) leukemia etc etc etc.

you can’t design animals…Great Danes are lucky to live for 7 years… it’s just a very sad situation and the animals are paying for it. If you are really set on a pedigree dog, why not go to shelters and see if there are any there…then you can have the animal checked out…when they are young pups its hard to see what will surface later. I got my Shiba Inu(a rescue) 4 years ago…she came with a certificate with her family tree, and a medal to show she’s a pedigree. The vet felt her knee and immediately said that the certificate can’t be real because her knee pops out and that is the first thing breeders check for to see if they can be sold. She would never have been given those papers and thumbs up to breed with her knee problem.[/quote]

You are SOOO right. Don’t even get me started on Bulldogs. I have one - it came with my girlfriend :slight_smile: - who was bought in Taiwan (the bulldog, not the girl) and the little thing is sweet as pie but a complete genetic freakshow riddled with the WORST allergies which arghhh… NOTHING works. Her skin allergies are so bad that our vet has enrolled her in a medical study who is paying for her prescription food for the next 10 weeks. She snores worse than my ex-girlfriend, gets hives the minute she pees on the wrong blade of grass; her morning routine of cleaning her wrinkles, giving her benedryl, glucosamine, omega 3’s, whatever prescription she’s on, takes almost 45 minutes. I’d have to disagree with the exercise thing… Bulldogs are really adaptable… if you’re lazy they are happy to be lazy with you. If you want to go out and do stuff they will be stoked as well. Lucy LOVES to run around, skateboard, etc… the concern is with them overheating. If we didn’t stop her from exercising, she would pant to death. Oh, the also get ingrown eyelashes, cysts between their toes, if their tail is too corkscrewed in, the vet wiill have to surgically remove it. Don’t get a Bulldog unless you’re rich or have pet insurance. Her papers from Taiwan say she is a purebred, but I wouldn’t trust them… and I agree with a pervious poster who said something about it not qualifying internationally.

Our last option to treat her skin (since we have exercised every other option and since it’s not good for dogs to be on steroids all the time) is to start Cyclosporine (brand name in North America: Atopica). This will cost $200 CDN a month or $180 a month if we get it through a compounding pharmacy. That’s roughly 5,450NT (xe.net/currency)/month.

Holly crap… i am sorry about your dog and i really hope she gets better from all her skin issues… not just because of the money, but because of the dog, she must not be so happy with that i think, anyway dogs are marvelous creatures, even if they dont like something or they are unhappy, whenever they feel the love from their “parents” that would be it, its instant happiness !!! I admire you for the effort and the patience that you and your girlfriend have had with your lovely bulldog

Hi guys, i found this very nice though on the net and i wanted to share it with everyone
“I’ve raised puppies on many occasions - forget it! Give me the settled, laid back, all together, well-mannered, grateful, devoted, loving adult who knows what life is all about, who respects my authority, defends my property instead of chewing it to pieces, is grateful for everything I do, and gives so much in return. He may not be around as long as a young one. No matter. The quality of love he gives makes each day a special blessing. While the young dogs are running the fence, barking, digging, chewing, playing, ignoring my call for silence, the older dogs stand quietly at my side, content just to be with me. Oh yes, I’ll miss them when God decides he needs them more than I do, but the memories and the lessons in love and devotion they are teaching me will live forever.” - Author Unknown