Buying a House with TW Wife

Is this the start of the Forumosa Mortgages Centre?

Ok… here’s the thing.

Sounds like you are ALREADY married. So you should have more leverage to argue for the house to be registered under your name. If you do this before you’ve gotten married, sometimes your wife and more likely her parents would find it insulting enough for the wedding to be called off.

Since you are already married, it could still cause some rifts and it depends on how you want to handle it.

There are 3 ways properties are shared between a married couple. 2 of them requires both of you to draft a statement and get it notarized in court.

Otherwise, by default, if the house is registered under her name, it’s her property after divorce. You have the right to request that she fork over the portion you believe you paid for, but get ready for lengthy court battles to get what’s yours. (法定財產制)

If you go for a complete pre-nup, and totally separate the finances, you absolutely will have to register the house under your name, because otherwise there is no way to get your share back. (分別財產制)

Another way is to submit a statement to share all the properties to get it notarized. In that case, no matter how much either of you paid, when you divorce you’d get 50% back. (共同財產制)

Finally, you could also get a lawyer to draft a statement that the house is purchased as a property of the both of you, and you two agree each of you should own the ratio you paid for, and then got that statement notarized.

It’s a hassle and it costs some money, but it’s more aligned with what you want to accomplish.

2 Likes

If your wife dies, what happens to the business if it was in her name?

I think there’s some miscommunication here.

Don’t know cheaper but easier for sure.

You could get lucky, of course, but that probably isn’t a guaranteed get-out-of-jail-free card.

2 Likes

It’ll be like most of these sales promotion give-aways. The free gift isn’t really free, and you should ask yourself.

If this was available separately, would I really want it?

Don’t forget good ol’ Uncle Sam will want a piece of that pie if you put it in your name.

You will need to declare the home and loan on your US taxes.

Something to consider.

2 Likes

If the apartment is your primary residence and you own it for at least three years, no taxes are owed if it’s sold for a profit.

1 Like

Well my wife keeps bullshitting me then. Glad I keep saying no.

By trying to get the house in her name?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Banking

Yep.

And a catch!

@djm409 why don’t you put both names on the deed?

Actually, I don’t believe pre nups hold in court in Taiwan… But things change here a lot, so get a lawyer, do not just trust what your partner says. They may not be privy to must updated information.

My pal who is single just bought a house on her name and got a loan without warrantor. Foreigner yes she is. I’ll fix her up with Marco if he wants to meet a hot Latina.

I know laws here are complicated but it is not responsible not to do your own due diligence before marriage.

Yes, foreigners can put their names on deeds based on mutual recognition, meaning if Taiwanese can buy in your country, same here. I think a few states in the States might be excluded but in that case I’d rent, not buy here.

2 Likes

Her family is entitled to quite a bit and if they are savvy enough, they might leave you out especially if you only have a JFRV. Laws have changed and give you some leeway but if you have kids, they could be used as leverage and may make you choose between business or kids…or you could lose both.

Mostly, the government let you stay until the kids are 18 years old. But it will not give you the chance to upgrade your visa or get nationality. So if your partner dies you are generally in s pickle if your visa is still dependent on them.

Besides stating the obvious you’re looking at the situation from a very legal point of view. But is marriage just a legal contract for you? If so, I doubt you’ll be married very long. Marriage is about putting yourself at someone else’s mercy, about sacrifice, and if you’re not ready to do that I think you’re wasting your time.

Can’t take criticism? How do you plan on staying married? :stuck_out_tongue:

So many marriages fail it’s good to get your ducks in a row first.

1 Like

No argument from me!

3 Likes