Cafe coffee replacement, what are you doing?

With it being hard to go out for a coffee, what are you doing? No coffee, homemade or takeaway? For me went a few days without espresso but at home black coffee still. No coffee shops, even no takeaway for me.

3 Likes

One of my great pleasures at this point in my life is relaxing in a cafe, a latte in one hand and a book/my phone in the other. For the past week I’ve brewed my own at home but I do miss the environment of a cafe.

7 Likes

Is there a good spot to buy ground beans in KHH for home coffee? I use a french press, but mostly all I’ve found in the stores is instant or little tea bag-like things. A big old can of coffee would be great if such a thing exists here…

1 Like

Nanfe on Fushing road is good, they have big bags in various price ranges. I also find Carrefour for big bags is not bad and price is good.

4 Likes

1 Like

Buy a bialetti.

2 Likes

Beans ground at home, black coffee, coffee press / French press / Bodum, as I’ve mostly done for years. Sometimes Costco beans, sometimes beans bought at Partner Coffee, a small chain in Danshui.

If I don’t have much work to do, I’ll spike the morning coffee with a bunch of Irish Cream. But my current position on the distance-learning learning curve suggests it’s going to be quite a while before I don’t have much work to do.

Almost the only time I stay in a coffee shop is when I’m meeting someone. But my current apartment has cats and lots of natural light. In years past when I lived in a more typically subterranean Taiwanese apartment, spending time sitting elsewhere was more important to me.

@TT, in Taipei at least many of the local coffee shops will ask if you want them to grind the beans you’re buying. (Will Cama do this? I know Partner does.) I assume some Kaohsiung places have similar options.

3 Likes

that’s a good tip, i was thinking i’d have to look into buying a grinder!

1 Like

Why is hard to go out for a coffee? You can go out for a walk and buy a coffee, even now.

1 Like

You have to have one, I’d say.

2 Likes

You can get one of these for about NT$600-700. Works great, and gives you a mini-workout too.

3 Likes

Coffee shops are not for coffee.

Coffee is just an excuse to use a seat, table, charger, chair, window, air con, toilet, chatting spot, working spot, study spot, etc.

So I’m doing those at home now with coffee or other drink of choice.

5 Likes

Also this one (moderate to higher priced but good beans) Cafe name: 烘豆房 民族中正店 Address: No. 59號, Minzu 2nd Road, Xinxing District, Kaohsiung City, 80084 TAIWAN Some (not all) staff speak excellent English. (Indoor section is closed, you need use take away window but they can show/advise you)

3 Likes

I got myself a grinder, filters, and some surprisingly decent beans from Carrefour a few weeks ago, just before things all turned to ratshit. I didn’t realise before what a huge difference it makes to use freshly-ground beans. Haven’t bought 7-11 coffee for a long time.

OTOH I still miss my favourite coffee shops. I just hope they’ll be able to re-open, but I suspect Taiwan’s grasping landlords are still making them pay full rents and they’ll go under in short order.

1 Like

I can’t go without coffee. I am still enjoying takeout at home and I brew mine at the office. With coconut milk.

4 Likes

I love ice cream made with coconut cream instead of cream.

2 Likes

Just ordering coffee on Uber or making my own with the Keurig.

I miss the peaceful atmosphere of small coffee shops, but actually getting coffee isn’t a huge problem.

1 Like

I also have coffee at home, but I do miss Espresso a bit and yes the cafes and talking with the staff. I do hope the cafes (and staff) make it past this.

3 Likes

Depends how long this drags on for. :disappointed: A few probably will shut down, especially since Taiwan doesn’t seem to have any stimulus for small businesses affected by COVID like the US did.

Personally I feel that if they’re still only finding about 3 or 4 cases a day in Kaohsiung in a week or so, we should go back to Level 2 and re-open cafes and restaurants, but now I’m getting a bit off-topic.

1 Like

The good news few or no cases reported in todays CDC report. If just for two weeks most decent cafes should be ok. Some cafes can send drinks out or do take away they seem to be doing ok (from my LINE chat with staff). Taipei area shops with high rent will have more problems.

2 Likes