California ... a failed state

John Tamny’s book must be getting around.

2 Likes

WTF

1 Like

What gets me, ever since I’ve been in Taiwan - 10 years now, is why in the world would families send their children to the USA for higher education? I had a friend here who earns his living then and now writing the paperwork and essays asked for/volunteered for students to get into USA schools. In addition to writing the papers used to gain entrance for these students I feel it isn’t ethical to encourage kids to go there. My reasons are the cost, the quality, and the safety. Now, many woke schools don’t even require the SAT or other measures to qualify applicants.

As an employer - it isn’t the degree but the individual as far as I am concerned.

You’re swimming upstream then. The lure of being part of the credentialed class is hard to ignore.

1 Like

Exactly. The lure of that class. There are so many fraud degrees out there. As I said, the fraud doesn’t even begin at the school but first by the parents.

But it is true. I’ve been here long enough and have enough friends who have explained how many incompetent department heads etc are installed without qualification other than their degree.

I know people with great education but have undetectable amounts of common sense.

The entrance frauds prosecuted recently where it was nothing other than pay for play really adds value to the entire racket.

In what sense are they fraudulent degrees? Someone who knows a lot of Africa American history or gender studies has tons of options now in the nonprofit arena and human racehorse departments, respectively, for example.

The only real payoff if the get a degree earn a buttload seems to be in finance. It’s pretty much the case as presented by the Harvard guy I’m reading and watching now, Michael Sandel.

Anecdotally, I have several colleagues, teachers at a public school, who went to like Northeastern U or Boston College to get a “prestigious” teaching degree and are stuck under mounds of debt the size of their children’s futures. I have fun telling them I went to SUNY Albany and have zero debt, never did, never will, and here we are on the same pay scale. bwahahaha

Top American universities are higher ranked than Taiwanese universities. Plus, if their English is good enough a B student here has a shot at getting into an Ivy League school.

1 Like

California is the shit!

University ranking systems have ridiculous methodologies. The biggest factor is research publications which is heavily influenced by how much money is available for the research and how well the professors can write in English.

That said, on average the US universities are probably better at teaching the kids than the Taiwanese universities. We need to compare individual degree programs rather than national systems.

Just finished

It’s really a must read for bad policy. The short of it is, stop making it nonprofits’ job to end homelessness. It’s their job. They never want it to end. Also, stop throwing money at the homeless. That’s kinda what they hope for. Also also, if you’re shitting on the sidewalk and are zonko on hard drugs, you get jail or rehab, not clean needles and a safe space to slowly kill yourself while having a real good time.

3 Likes

Who was it that killed off the sanitarium system in America, a lethal cocktail of JFK and Reagan?

We should probably bring those back.

Adrian Guerrero, director of public affairs for UP, revealed the following in a letter to far-left L.A. District Attorney George Gascon:

“Since December 2020, UP has experienced an over 160% increase in criminal rail theft in Los Angeles County. In several months during that period, the increase from the previous year surpassed 200%. In October 2021 alone, the increase was 356% over compared to October 2020. Not only do these dramatic increases represent retail product thefts – they include increased assaults and armed robberies of UP employees performing their duties moving trains.”

Over the last three months, “over 90 containers [are] compromised per day.”
“This increased criminal activity over the past twelve months accounts for approximately $5 million in claims, losses and damages to UP. And that value does not include respective losses to our impacted customers.”

Guerrero then slammed the city’s far-left politics, saying that they are enabling the criminals who he says brag about being let off easy for their crimes.

“Criminals are caught and arrested, turned over to local authorities for booking, arraigned before the local courts, charges are reduced to a misdemeanor or petty offense, and the criminal is released after paying a nominal fine,” Guerrero said. “These individuals are generally caught and released back onto the streets in less than twenty-four hours.

Someone should do a song spoof: “Only got 20 hours in L.A. docket.”

2 Likes

I really wish this was a joke… :wink:

1 Like

Epstein is turning in his grave. So close. So close.

1 Like

It’s a huge money business. My hometown homeless authority director lived in his paid off ocean front property with tons of money in the bank with night retirement entitlement. Of course they never want to see the end of poverty and despair.

1 Like

I think national safety nets are important—where there is waste in the US seems to be at the local or city level. Full of pet projects.