California ... a failed state

I don’t think there’s any place in the US where drug use isn’t really high. It’s just more visible there because its concentrated in areas that are central to the city. Now that weed is legal in Cali I would guess if anything there is less drug related crime and violence than before. That is just a guess and I’d have to check, but that probably improves the situation some.

Poorly governed and unsafe I dunno about that. There’s a very big homeless population but I took public transport every day while there and only had one incident where I felt unsafe there. It can be scuzzy at times, but i’m not sure if the homeless are a safety hazard.

I lived in the Richmond, which I believe has a high Asian population. It was more quiet but also kind of dull and the weather sucked there.

Not all of the city is dangerous either. Most of the crime is on specific blocks in the city I think. I’m also guessing neither of us could remotely afford to raise a family there at this point it’s egregiously expensive.

I’ve been to many cities. I’ve never seen so many people obviously strung out on drugs as I did in SF. There are so many crazy people (clearly as a result of drug abuse) there. People pacing around, shouting nonsense at people, etc. There are clearly issues there that are not common in all major cities.

Theft and property crime are extremely high in SF (second highest in the US). I spent over 2 years in downtown SF. It’s a weird combination of nice and trash.

Theres a lot more crime in LA than there used to be even in the nice cities. I think less violent crime but more robberies. That and also the many gangs around. 18th street, MS-13, Florencia 13, Asian Boyz, Crips. I think gang activity has decreased since the peak in the 90s though. 18th street alone back then was 20,000 members. But there is a lot of Cartel activity in L.A. the past 10 years especially money laundering. Where my mom had her business in Downtown LA’s wholesale district the FBI busted dozens of wholesalers laundering money for the Mexican Cartels. Some cities like Hawaiian Gardens were Cartel Controlled via the City Council, they backed every member being elected in the city council then fired the police dept and rehired their own years back. The last few years we weren’t allowed to deposit cash in excess of 2,000 USD, Now were no longer able to make consistent smaller cash deposits either like $500 due to cracking down on drug money,

1 Like

Sometimes compassion can go a long way and you never know what someones life story is.

Did you know Halle Berry was homeless once? Samuel Jackson was addicted to crack until his first role in Do The Right Thing. Charlie Chaplain was homeless.

1 Like

Yes a lot of homeless I’ve come across have mental issues, some are veterans with PTSD. Something needs to be done to help them, not sure what that would be. The city of LA is contemplating a huge number of porto potties for the homeless around Downtowns Skid row and Midnight missions. It would cost 300,000 a year. My sis in law works for the city, she said the city is bankrupt and can’t even afford 300k a year… I don’t doubt that shes lying since shes a very giving person. It’s hard to believe since 300k for a city like LA sounds like peanuts and would solve the urine, dedication issue. Not sure how they prioritize the money.

Okay. Agreed… I don’t know exactly why you wanted to share that with me, but okay.

I lived outside of SF for about a year. There were around homeless people, more than I’ve seen. But I haven’t been back to that area, only LA where my sister works.

There are some strange people in LA, unless you’re purely at the tourist areas. I think probably drugs and homelessness.

The real wall that needs to be built. Maybe one around Austin as well.

Is it that you have low opinion of civilians in general, or merely of Californians?

While you’re letting go of your hate, you should also let go of your contempt. I consider myself plenty cynical, but I have a higher opinion of the common man than you seem to have.

California has 5 of top 10 safe cities: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/search/safest-cities/

IRVINE: Great College here, lots of good Taiwanese food (as well Korean, other Asian) THOUSAND OAKS: Quiet, safe, clean TORRANCE: In Southern Los Angeles County, big Japanese American center. CARLSBAD: Great Northern San Diego coastal city, and BURBANK: Urban metro Los Angeles City, surprised it’s on the list (I use the airport in this City as alternative to LAX a lot)
\

They are terrified of repeating what happened to Paradise, CA after the Camp fire last year.

Another ‘Berlin Wall’ to keep Texans in?

Progressive governance in a nutshell…

I bet Californians are paying through the nose for home and car insurance, and commercial insurance must be even worse.

In 2014, nearly 60% of California voters approved Proposition 47—ironically known as the “ Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act.” The measure reduced the classification of most nonviolent property and drug crimes—including theft and fraud for amounts up to $950—from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Hasn’t rent control failed every time?

Predicted:

https://www.shmoop.com/atlas-shrugged/ending.html

A little truth-telling in California :sunglasses:

https://twitter.com/kbq225/status/1183434131151249410

3 Likes

Seen it with my own eyes living there for 30 years, sadly the media doesn’t tell it like it is