California ... a failed state

When he said, “see-through tops,” it sounded like he was touching himself.

That’s pretty incredible. It will most likely overtake Japan soon as well.

1 Like

Apple HQ moves to Atlanta
BREAKING: Georgia to become the 4th largest economy in the WORLD!

Apple’s revenue isn’t enough to push Georgia to 4th largest.

The idea of my message was more, why boast of economic success where the credit really goes to huge corporations who just happen to choose your area to settle their HQ.

Because the choice did not just happen. Some of the selection was likely based on factors intrinsic to the geography and climate, but conditions resulting from current and historical cultural and policy conditions certainly also played a role.

This explains a lot of the China growth, along with environmental and labor standards, and a housing bubble

1 Like

It’s been like this for decades…

This is true for Ireland, but not so much for California. Wages are extremely high in Cali. It’s just that there’s also a ton of extreme poverty.

It’s spreading. I went to a Home Depot here in Portland tonight to buy a power tool. They were all locked up in cages though so I couldn’t examine the box. When someone finally showed up to let me look at the boxes she wouldn’t let me even touch the box. When I picked the tool I wanted she took the tool to the register and wouldn’t let me touch the box until I paid. When I asked her why all the drama she told me shoplifting had become an epidemic because the police might show up in thirty minutes if they had an incident and penalties had been reduced to misdemeanors so no one feared being arrested anymore.

People here are so fed up with excessives running the state into the ground that Oregon might elect its first Republican governor in forty years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/01/oregon-governor-race-homelessness-crime-issues/

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

Maybe time to start an “Oregon…a failed state” thread. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

eh, the tools at home Depot are largely locked.up in Republican counties in Georgia too. nothing to do with politics.

You’ve got your head in the sand.

“Over the past few decades, Oregon elections have tended toward predictability. Virtually all statewide offices and congressional seats are filled by Democrats (there is one Republican member of our House delegation). No matter a Democratic candidate’s quality or funding, Republicans usually lose.That predictability has evaporated this year. . . .

With the departing governor, Kate Brown, term-limited, handing off the seat to Tina Kotek — the longtime speaker of the Oregon House — would have been almost automatic in a typical election year. But these midterms, even in Oregon, are different. Kotek is campaigning as a progressive who’ll build on the status quo, and that is a gamble. . . . Even among the 35 percent of Oregon voters who are unaffiliated and thus presumably movable in one direction or the other on the issue, polling about voter concerns from late summer showed that they ranked abortion far behind the economy, homelessness and crime.

Crime in Portland is, unusually, a major issue in this election.”
— Washington Post

It’s all a power play.

George Floyd’s death have caused a call to defund the police, or rather not use heavy handed police as a solution for every ill of the society (if you’re a hammer, everything looks like nails to you).

The police in the US has a huge amount of power, has been given a huge level of trust by society, to the point that they’re almost seen as infallible, where their testimony in court has far more weight than anyone else. Courts bend over backwards for them most the time and won’t question anything they say. People with power want to keep that power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

What we see here is “well you want to defund the police? Let’s see what happens when there is no police”. Hence not prosecute violent, society destroying crimes like shoplifting, violent crimes, etc… Soon enough people will listen to the republicans and give the police all the powers they want, if not more.

Nothing will change in the end. Police love their power, and anyone who thinks of taking that power away is an anarchist. Soon enough more and more will end up in jail over nothing. America already locks up more people than all other countries in the world, what’s a few million more?

Besides the police never cares about theft anyways. They’re looking to arrest the low hanging fruit, you know just whoever they want to pick on at the moment. I bet drug use is on top of that list.

ok… what does that have to do with tools at home Depot being just as locked up in Republican Georgia as in Democratic California (and Oregon)?

I had to go back to the Home Depot here in Portland again this morning for more supplies. Asked the cashier how bad the shoplifting situation has become and she told me she was injured by a shoplifter with a cart full of tools who just ran into her when she stepped out to start scanning. He and his wife just calmly walked to their car and loaded up the stolen items and drove away. According to the cashier the police have told Home Depot security guards they won’t arrest shoplifters unless the total is $5,000 or more because they’re too short-staffed and lenient Democratic DA’s won’t prosecute for lesser amounts. She said they have a list of known shoplifters who just come in and take what they want and all security can do is take photographs and keep a tally of how much they’ve stolen until it reaches $5,000 and hope the police will do something then.

Thank pro-criminal Democratic politicians for this breakdown of society.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of words to say that you don’t know of any difference in terms of how Home Depot treats its tools and whether they lock them up between Republican and Democratic areas

I’m happy you Democrats are in denial. Should pay big dividends at the polls.

“It is at a crisis level,” explained Jeremy Girard of the Oregon Retail Crime Association. Girard estimates some of the hardest hit stores in the Portland-area are losing between $1 million to $5 million annually to theft. Retailers across the city have been forced to hire private security guards, lock down valuable items, change store layout, reduce hours or simply close their doors.

The Nike Community Store in Northeast Portland was closed intermittently throughout September and October reportedly because of widespread theft. Nike wouldn’t share details.

“Stores are not going to be able to sustain for the long haul if organized retail crime continues to get worse,” warned Girard. . . . A survey conducted earlier this year by the Organized Retail Crime Association of Oregon found most major retailers in Portland often don’t bother filing police reports, citing a lack of police response, lack of prosecution, incidents that are lower level or company policy.