⛺ Camping | Camping in Taiwan

I’ve saved one of those!

Once upon a time I backpacked, although nothing too serious (the highlight was a week in scouts). I’m interested in doing some modest trips with my kids, who are in the 10-12 range and are active and love nature. I’m thinking of winter breaks and long weekends. The catch is: (1) I don’t love steep mountains and am not in awesome shape and (2) I want it to be fun for them (and me). Still, I want to do more than a day trip of hiking, in part because I think it’s good for me to get away from the city.

I am looking for ideas for one of two possibilities:

1. Short 2-3 day backpacking trips with campgrounds along the way (and water) where we’d basically pack everything. Would prefer north coast type trip because we’re in Taipei.
  2. Perhaps even a 2-3 days where we stay in hotels on hiking routes. I was thinking of something starting out from Jilong or Danshui and going 20km and staying in a hotel and then doing another 20km and training back (or continue another couple of days).

Is this possible without walking along highways? I don’t have a car so would be starting out by bus, train, or uber. Grateful for any suggestions.

1 Like

Nearly 2 decades ago, I and the missus would join day-hikes or overnighters, like climbing Jade Mountain from the multitude of hiking clubs that would congregate around Taipei Main train station early-early Saturday and Sunday mornings (with their buses ready to take participants to wherever. Don’t know if they do that anymore. Went on hikes to tea plantations and other trips. Quite fun and cheap.

You might want to head over Chung Shan North Road, just about 50 meters or so north of the Chunghsiao E. Road intersection on west side.
Walk into Ting San Iou Mountain Equipment 登山友器材&露營 store. Back then, this store and the few surrounding it would have old-style paper DMs outside their shops of weekend single-day trips or multiple-day trips for the upcoming month from various hiking clubs in Taipei and back-then Taipei County (now New Taipei City). There is a campground just north of Fulong beach. When you get off train at Fulong, take a left at the main ride and walk up the right side. You’ll hit 龍門露營渡假基地, Longmen Camping Area Service Center. Never been there myself, but that has been there a long time.
Have fun and report back once you’ve done a trip.

I might have saved a few of those hiking club associations’ websites as my favorites if you want. Most are in Chinese, but who knows.

1 Like

Thanks! This is helpful. I’m not totally sure on the guided trips, but will look at that also.

I also don’t mind urban hiking as long as I can do the blacktop type surfaces instead of just cement. I’m going to try a riverside hike Saturday and then go from there.

I have done camping near Fulong and Longmen. I think I could even rent a tent and pads/bags there if we want to go really light. Ideally I’d like walking trails that hit little towns regularly.

Here’s what some of them look like:

http://www.bignatural.org.tw/schedule.htm

https://recreation.forest.gov.tw/Event

https://recreation.forest.gov.tw/Trail

I’m checking back in because someone said that I could maybe try hiking the bike paths that now (apparently) basically circle the island. I think what I’m wanting to do is what some call “trekking”–light backpack and stay in hotel or hostel.

I may even do something like Taipei–>Danshui (25 km)–>Keelung (40km)–> Taipei (27km). Depending on how I walked it maybe could do 100km in 3-5 days and see some green and ocean. Kids are energetic late elementary, so ideally would intersperse with fun activities.

Hey! I know it’s been a long time but did you end up doing it??

Again this weekend. We were the only lazy ones that did stay in the same camping for more than one night. Three, actually.

If someone is looking for a camping in the rift valley, this can be a good one now:

It’s new and I guess people don’t know it yet, because it was almost empty this last long weekend. Huge plots, but only a few of them. So even with full occupation it will not feel crowded.

2 Likes

It looks nice!
Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

What’s a recommended camping place for a short weekend in north of Taiwan?