Camping equipment?

Err… I am not the best at directions, but I’ll give it a go.
One Metro Oasis is on the same road as the hiking shops near main station exit 7. Just keep walking up that road another 5-7 min and it is on the opposite side of the street.

There is another MetrOasis in Chong He (JongHe…) , in teh big shopping mall with Hola.
That’s the best I can do. Perhaps someone else can further elucidate.

That’ll do. Thanks very much.

Reviving the thread to drink from Forumosa well of knowledge.

I want to go camping with family (2 adults and 3 kids under 5yo) and want to know if you have any tip or advice for a camping newbie. I’ve camped only once, and with borrowed equipment.
So far, we already bought:

As we are starting, we don’t want to buy everything at once, just the basic.
Based on the list above, I think we will need a portable table, lights and a stove.
Anything else we are missing?
Any suggestion on the items?

Foldable chairs are a nice thing to have. A cooler too.

1 Like

I got those covered already.
Any other item I should get?

Lights man, lights. Flashlights and headlamps. And mosquito coil. And abundant water. And food, snacks, things for preparing soup. And tea. And coffee. And get some cheap barbecue kit on the way, and then pork and sausages and peppers and onion and bread.

Wait, you have three kids? Damn…

1 Like

I also need an oven for all that, no?
What kind would you suggest?

Yeah… And they can’t be help much. For now.

some tools

• spade/trowel for digging your fire pit and toilet
  • camp knife for various tasks
  • camp hatchet with hammer end for hammering tent pegs
  • cooler with frozen meat
  • some tinder
  • a small box of waterproof matches
  • cookware
  • cooking utensils
  • a set of sporks
  • hand sanitizer
  • alcohol spray
  • wet wipes
  • portable fire grill
1 Like

Know where the nearest toilets, showers, ice machines, and convenience stores are located as backup.

• Didn’t see sleeping bags or pillows on your list. Decathlon has nice cheap sleep sacks which is plenty in summertime. They have a good selection of cheap supplies.

• Rain protection gear could be needed.

• Coolers.

• Small broom and other cleaning supplies.

• Plastic mat outside tent to keep feet clean in case of rain or dirt.

• Binoculars

1 Like

All good suggestions!

Yeah. Initially, we were planning to use regular bedding from home. Do you think that’s an issue?

Nice suggestions. :+1:

We’ll be staying in camping places that provide bathroom at first, so I don’t think that’s necessary.

I forgot this one!

Those would be for barbecue with a fire pit as the pic you posted, right?
I’m not sure we would do it yet, as the kids are still small and the risk for a disaster seems high.
We are thinking to get just a portable stove for cooking.

Yes, these are small things that we always forget! :woozy_face:
But probably we will use what we have at home already.

Sleeping sack or bag is much easier to manage packing, and inside a tent instead of having blankets flopping all over the floor getting dirty, and will keep potential bugs out.

Can do a fun family practice session or camping nights at home with them.

I think I bought mine a couple months ago for nt$399 each at Decathlon. They are sleep sacks, and not very warm, but should be mostly fine for summertime.

Don’t forget comfortable sleeping clothing that can also be used to run outside to the restroom and things.

A couple hooks around a tent are very convenient for things like emergency flashlight. Hooks keep things visible so you’re not digging around the floor looking for something you might need quickly or frequently like night lite.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll take a look at those.

Good idea!

So sleeping naked is not an option? :upside_down_face:

You mean extra hooks besides those that are already attached to the tent?

Depends on the tent. Some have cloth or metal hooks on inside, some don’t. If there is only one, then add a couple to that one. Or maybe a long string with a hook to bring things down to reachable level.

1 Like

It’s ok if you don’t mind being a bear in the woods. :grin:

For some reason I don’t think @the_bear will agree with it… :rofl:

1 Like

I did a google search for camping equipment and of course this was one of the top hits. Any suggestions on where to go tent shopping in Kaohsiung?

There are other places but this is the quick easy cheap option

4 Likes

Anywhere that might sell higher end tents? My last tent was Mountain Hardwear and kept me dry for over 10 years, I was thinking Marmot for my next tent but it seems I should have made that purchase before coming here.

Good to know this is an option, though; I’ve seen the retailer around a lot. Do you have any experience using these tents in bad weather?

can try this one if you looking for a long term investment

2 Likes