Can anyone help me build Jekyll, Hugo, or Gatsby websites for some church communities?

This discussion reminds me of something I have long wanted to do: I would like to build simple websites for the English mass communities of a few parish churches where I volunteer. Can anyone help walk me through a simple set up for one? Or point me in a direction?

I spent a bit of time before reading about Jekyll as well as Hugo and Gatsby. But after trying and failing to figure out GitHub Pages – and just running out of time because I have other pressing priorities – I gave up

If you can recommend any favorite YouTube videos or straightforward online courses about these approaches, those would be appreciated, too

It was 88Kevin who first told me about free Jekyll websites hosted on GitHub Pages

1 Like

GitHub Pages and Jekyll are free and quick tools that web developers use to build and host simple websites, but they still require you to be tech savvy.

Have you tried Google Sites? It’s a simple visual web design tool that anyone can pick up in a few minutes, and it’s free.

If you are the sole decision maker in which platform to use, then there’s no need for you to pick one that requires you to be tech savvy.

2 Likes

Maybe you can try deploying your Git repo (I presume?) on Vercel for free. What kind of issues are you running into specifically, maybe I can walk you through it?

I think, before diving into whatever those are, you should look into DIY website builders like Wix, Wordpress.com, whatever Godaddy’s thing is, or using the X theme on a self-hosted WordPress install (if that still exists). It would depend on what you want to do and how much you want to pay, but you could do an englishmassintaiwan.com and list them all with the important information or a website for each with any of the above. Google Sites I don’t know, but it’s probably about the same. Getting into Git seems way to complicated for simple info pages. TBH, in Taiwan, most businesses just use an FB page and a Google Maps listing, if that. With just that, your parish will pop up in a Google search.

2 Likes

no fb u need to collect their info and send regular reminders, wp is the way

To church people? If they’re already on FB they just need to know if there’s a change in time for bible study. LINE will do the same job. I don’t think Gus wants to spam them with promos for new bibles.