Can I stay NWHOR for as long as I want?

What you mean is you have to renounce one citizenship to naturalize first.

Naturalized citizens can hold as many foreign citizenships as they like. :slight_smile:

Not so. You can change the citizenship of your ARC to another if you have more than one and renounce that. A friend of mine changed his APRC from NZ to Canadian citizenship and renounced Canadian. No requirement that he renounce NZ which was his first citizenship used on his first ARC which also had place of birth in Canada. So it’s not like he did not have Canadian citizenship as well.

1 Like

Taiwan allowed ROC citizens to obtain other nationalities without losing ROC citizenship.
However for most foreigners they need to renounce to get ROC citizenship. Exceptions are made for people who are not allowed to renounce such as Japanese who then get dual citizenship or the few elite foreigners granted dual citizenship without renunciation. Richard Hartzel from this forum is one of them.

2 Likes

I believe that trick won´t work. If it would, all NWOHR passport holders would obtain the TW nationality just that easy.

In fact, you are trying to trick the system in order to gain tw nationality to have its benefits, then you expect to get the Australian´s back. It doesn´t exist a TEMPORARY renouncing of nationality.

@eatdrinktravellife you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

4 Likes

It’s not really a trick. It’s gone at that moment fulfilling Taiwan’s rules and then you resume it again.

5 Likes

You made it sound very easy. If it were that easy, many NWOHR holders would pick that reason to obtain TW nationality. They usually applied through a work permit, marriage.

There are consequences if you renounce your nationality.

I’m not tricking anyone. I’m using the law to my advantage. A life skill worth having.

You’re wrong. The UK also allows resumption of citizenship, so does Canada, so does Taiwan. I’m sure there are others. As far as I know, Australia is the easiest but I think the UK is not that hard either.

Yes. I become a permanent resident if Australia instead if citizen. Temporarily. But even if I could not resume citizenship, permanent residents have almost all the same rights in Australia as citizens so not really a big deal.

It is. I don’t find filling in paperwork particularly difficult.

Pick what reason? Thousands of people every year naturalise. I also think you are confused. It is impossible for a NWOHR passport holder to naturalise they are nationals

National
With
Out
Household
Registration

3 Likes

all NWOHR passport holders already hold TW nationality.

i guess you confuse nationality with TARC and later citizenship.

2 Likes

I remember reading in another thread that @eatdrinktravellife is already a dual national (from South America I think) but he is NWOHR and allegedly isn’t eligible for a TARC by descent

I think he is trying to figure out how to get a TARC for a year then get a 身份證

Yes, I have a NWOHR TW passport, but the passport doesn´t grant me any TW benefits. Neither an open work permit. It works like a tourist visa.

That’s not true. You can get household registration after holding a TARC for only one year.

You also would not need a work permit if ROC nationality is the only nationality you have. You also don’t need a work permit if you receive your TARC through certain family categories.

From your previous posts I guess you aren’t eligible for the family categories. If I was you I would try to find a job to sponsor my work permit. Might be hard but probably the fastest way to get your national ID card.

You are a Taiwan national. I am not. You don’t need to renounce your citizenship, I do. That is a huge benefit.

You’re forgetting that you are starting 5 years ahead of most foreigners. If it takes you 5 years to find a job to sponsor your work permit, you are still 5 years ahead of everyone else.

Telling other people they’re wrong without evidence isn’t going to help you.

1 Like

No sir. I´m not a tw national, even if I obtained a TW passport. NIA also told me I´m not a national. The passport doesn´t give any TW right.

And regarding to work permit, which was my best way to get residence, there are not many job offers which sponsor hispanic workers in TW.

In 6 months, after many resume submissions in 104 and interviews, I only obtained 3 illegal part time jobs with help of some local friends. Some tw friends told me the possibility to get a legal job with my chinese level (A1) would be less probable.

With limited time to stay and money to survive. Suddenly, I was offered another option to work legaly in another country and I left TW. It is dissapointing for me, because I wanted to stay at least 1 year to improve my chinese because I was in classes, but my money was decreasing and this new opportunity won´t wait me a year.

Please send a picture of the first page of your passport

2 Likes

It’s taken me more than 6 months to find a job in my home country, not really that long. You’re still 4.5 years ahead of everyone else.

This is understandable and you probably made the best decision for yourself.

But that doesn’t mean you are not a Taiwanese national

Not as many as those with household registration, sure. But more than foreigners. Your children will also inherit Taiwanese nationality.

1 Like

NWOHR have less rights.

Wasn’t mentioned here much but there are exit restrictions if you want to get the Taiwan ID (with normal Taiwan passport ) quickly after getting the TARC e.g. if within 1 year no exit permitted. It’s not just renouncing that is required.

4 Likes

Incorrect. 6.5 years ahead if would continue staying in TW.
This is reason AF385 (Living 7 years).

Currently, for “unregistered nationals” who have direct lineal relatives who are “registered nationals” (e.g. overseas-born Taiwanese) and foreigners who have naturalized as ROC nationals, this period is (1) continuously for one year, (2) 270 days per year for two years, or (3) 183 days per year for five years.

1 Like

Yes. That is because you gave up on getting a job after 6 months. That is not your only option.

If you don’t want to live in Taiwan anymore, so be it. But you do have options and rights that foreigners do not have. All in a shorter timeframe. You are not the first hispanic person to want to immigrate to Taiwan and I guarantee those that were not born with Taiwanese nationality will have had a harder time and had to make decisions that you would never have to.

You are a Taiwan national.

1 Like

Correct the key point being AFTER you receive the TARC. Which is immensely frustrating.