Can Ma-ke be a Ward of the State?

[quote=“MJB”]…There will be a fresh Fundraiser for Mark on the 28th of April at the Blue Cellar pub in Taoyuan, located at #47 Chen Kung Road, Section 2.

A buffet meal will be on offering from 5pm until later in the evening, at which point the venue will kick into party mode with live music until the wee hours.

All proceeds will go towards helping Mark’s family with medical expenses…[/quote]
Like many I know in Taiwan, I am concerned about what will happen to Mark and his family. I have never met him in person, but there are parts of his life that I relate to - maybe most of us can since a lot of us who regularly use Forumosa have traveled far from home and know what it is like to make a life in a different culture (as Mark has done)

I understand from friends and from this website that Mark’s condition will leave him dependent on others and the healthcare system for the rest of his life. This has me wondering what options are available to him if his family goes bankrupt and can no longer afford to pay this medical bills? Do they all just go home and wait for the inevitable? Or are there resources in Taiwan or abroad that they can appeal to? (And if there are, let’s start building the case and contacting those people or organizations already)

I recently learned of a legal status called “Ward of the State” (Wikipedia)

Is this available to Mark in Taiwan under the law or the NHI system? Does anyone know how this might work?

A very valid query, GooseEgg. :thumbsup:

It also might be worth researching why it seems he can’t get (forgive my dated diction) handicapped status?
Which {at this point in time,} it’s obvious he should be entitled to.
Which would mean the cost of transfering from hospital to hospital would go down from around 5,000 to about 300NT. There’s a lot of shunting around to be done. Chronic bed shortages means a lot of patients with severe injuries are being transfered back and forth over the course of their treatment.

I’m sure Mark’s family would be interested to hear from any forumosan of the legal persuasion who might know someone with expertise in this field.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

AFAIK you can only be a “ward of the state” if you are a citizen.

What happens when Ma-ke’s family runs out of money and his insurance expires? This is going to happen, it’s just a matter of time, right? Would they transfer him to AIT’s custody? Would they fly him back to the States gratis? I don’t believe they’d kick him out on the street. It would definitely be in Mark’s best interests for those looking out for him to know what’s going to happen then.

Yes. Unfortunately, other arrangements have to be made.
I would love to see him back in the US where he could get better care. That would cost a bundle, plus.

There has to be a better way. His wife is doing the job of five to keep her and Mark and the kids in good stead. I don’t see how she can keep going for much longer without outside help.

We also should do more.
That’s all!

AIT has very little to offer in the way of assistance in cases such as these…Disturbingly little in fact.

Why has nobody asked the questions I’ve asked? The money runs out tomorrow - then what? Doesn’t anyone think it’s vitally important to know for a fact what will happen? Has his wife asked?

She will bring Mark home.

I’m wondering if there are hospices around Taiwan and or other charities, Church or otherwise that can help here?

On a side note, I think one of the lessons learned here is what kind of sound financial planning have we done here to ensure familial protection against unforeseen events and tragedies in life? I find that in Taiwan, it’s a bit hard to find professionals to assist in sound financial planning. I know one from ING (in Taipei), but I’ve got resources in the US, Malaysia and my own previous experience in the insurance business to help. I think this is a gap that needs to be addressed. How do the rest of you guys do it?

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
On a side note, I think one of the lessons learned here is what kind of sound financial planning have we done here to ensure familial protection against unforeseen events and tragedies in life? I find that in Taiwan, it’s a bit hard to find professionals to assist in sound financial planning. I know one from ING (in Taipei), but I’ve got resources in the US, Malaysia and my own previous experience in the insurance business to help. I think this is a gap that needs to be addressed. How do the rest of you guys do it?[/quote]

Great point, YC. Maybe this deserves a thread of its own, though I’m not sure how it would be labelled.

I know a bit about wills, insurance, power of attorney, and so on in the USA, but I’m not sure where to turn, or who to turn to, for more information about this in Taiwan.

As far as I’m aware, his insurance itself doesn’t expire, just the extended coverage part. This obviously would shift more financial onus on his family.

What for? What would they do? Certainly not contribute $.
It would take quite a lot of cash to get Mark back to Minnesota.
Not as much as originally thought, but still a fair chunk of change.

Pardon me, but these questions have been asked many, many times. By his wife & others.
Of course his wife has asked questions such as these! She’s quite aware of what is ‘vitally important’. She’s quite an alert perceptive woman, who, I might add, is putting in an absolutely stellar performance. Doing the best she can possibly do in an extremely difficult environment.

Pardon me, but these questions have been asked many, many times. By his wife & others. Of course his wife has asked questions such as these![/quote]
That’s good to hear - nobody had posted about it in the forums. So, what’s the answer? Even if his wife takes Mark home, he’s going to require a level of medical care pretty much around the clock that she won’t be able to maintain, right? So what happens when the money runs out?

I wasn’t around Forumosa.com when the accident happened, so I missed most dicussion here. I read the thread and visited Mark’s blog and try to figure out what the situation is now to see any possible relieve resource.

1. Short-Term Financial Help

I don’t know whether social workers have been involved in this case so far. If not, I think Mark’s wife can ask help from social workers. They can help her to seek available financial relieve resource from various organizations or foundations. Mark’s wife is Taiwanese, I think she is qualified to apply for financial help from government and various foundations. To be honest, the application precedure usually needs a lot of paper work. I was afflicted when I went through some applications, but it worthy in term of short-term financial help.

Here are some relevant links:
Bureau of Social Welfare in Taoyuan
http://www.tycg.gov.tw/site/site_index.aspx?site_id=039&site_content_sn=4093
Tzu Chi Foundation
http://www2.tzuchi.org.tw/tc-charity/html/ch-say.htm
Fu Bon Foundation
http://charity.fubon.org/society/index1.asp

1. Long-Term Financial Help
    Mark’s family are fighting in a chronic war, so Mark’s wife can’t rely on financial help from outsiders fo their family. She needs help to build up her economic independence eventually. Is she the only caretaker of her family? Does she have any relative who can share to take care of her family?

2. Short-Term Medical Support

3. Long-Term Medical Support

Even though I have been there; done that, I still need more information to come up with some ideas about long-term financial help and medical support.

Pardon me, but these questions have been asked many, many times. By his wife & others. Of course his wife has asked questions such as these![/quote]
That’s good to hear - nobody had posted about it in the forums.
So, what’s the answer? Even if his wife takes Mark home, he’s going to require a level of medical care pretty much around the clock that she won’t be able to maintain, right? So what happens when the money runs out?[/quote]
When the money runs out, it runs out. What else is there to say?
After that, home care, with hired caretaker.
Mark’s mom is due in country soon. Given that Mark & Xiao-Wei’s house recently suffered a robbery (with significant loss), Mark’s wife Xiao-Wei has wisely decided to vacate the premises in the very near future, for more economically feasible lodgings. It goes without saying that some long term decisions will no doubt be made quite soon.

[quote]I wasn’t around Forumosa.com when the accident happened, so I missed most dicussion here. I read the thread and visited Mark’s blog and try to figure out what the situation is now to see any possible relieve resource.

1. Short-Term Financial Help

I don’t know whether social workers have been involved in this case so far. If not, I think Mark’s wife can ask help from social workers. They can help her to seek available financial relieve resource from various organizations or foundations. Mark’s wife is Taiwanese, I think she is qualified to apply for financial help from government and various foundations. To be honest, the application precedure usually needs a lot of paper work. I was afflicted when I went through some applications, but it worthy in term of short-term financial help.

Here are some relevant links:
Bureau of Social Welfare in Taoyuan
tycg.gov.tw/site/site_index. … nt_sn=4093
Tzu Chi Foundation
www2.tzuchi.org.tw/tc-charity/html/ch-say.htm
Fu Bon Foundation
charity.fubon.org/society/index1.asp

1. Long-Term Financial Help
    Mark’s family are fighting in a chronic war, so Mark’s wife can’t rely on financial help from outsiders fo their family. She needs help to build up her economic independence eventually. Is she the only caretaker of her family? Does she have any relative who can share to take care of her family?

2. Short-Term Medical Support

3. Long-Term Medical Support

Even though I have been there; done that, I still need more information to come up with some ideas about long-term financial help and medical support.[/quote]
While your suggestions and input are most honorable, it should be recalled that Mark’s wife is an astute, capable enabler who has of course already “been there, done that”. It’s a little slight-handed to even imagine that she has not already explored all avenues, and asked all the neccessary basic level questions quite a few months ago.

There seems to be a bit of an underlying assumption in some of these forums that Mark’s wife hasn’t the intellectual capacity to explore any & all approaches on her own initiative. Let me put this fallacy to rest. I can say without a single doubt that in any single circumstance with regard to Mark’s care, she will have already have done what needed to be done, whilst all the rest of us are sitting around talking it over. :notworthy:

I apologize in advance for any crusty cantankerousness, overly sarky tone in my diction. My natural curmudgeonliness does often not mesh well with my own personal links to Mark, when played out in discussion forums such as these.
:grandpa:
I don’t mean to seem unreceptive, or unthankful, for any fresh ideas or input. It would just seem more realistic to assume a framework incorporating the here & now, as opposed to that of 9 months ago. In other words, the vast majority of short-term options have already run out their course, and it’s time now to deal with the long-term options.

I remain,
Most Sincerely,
Ginger J

Well, I’m glad to see this discussion has reached the boards. Maybe some previously unthought of ideas can surface and help the Big Guy and his family out.

Wish I could add more. Sorry about the robbings. When it pours it pours more.

If the end result is his going home, I honestly believe it will be good for Mark. Home is always better. My Mom spent 26 years in a nursing home and then died in it.

She should have been home. That’s where life is.

New sig? :laughing:

I certainly hope this isn’t where the discussion ends.

I am relieved to hear that Mark’s wife is as capable as we all could hope (clearly, at least in this, Mark is blessed). But I am also hoping that those who do have some idea or who have struggled through this themselves (cheers, kate.lin :notworthy:) can give the rest of us some clue

Because what Mark and his family are facing could very well happen to anyone of us at any time. Maybe not in the same way or circumstances - but can any of us be so certain that we aren’t going to land in chronic care tomorrow? I am ashamed to admit that I don’t think about what my options are should I require long-term care. I won’t be surprised if most of us don’t have a clear idea of what “should” happen when we face these matters. Obviously, these aren’t pleasant things to chat about. But they are important and we should at least have an idea of what we can do

At its most crude, Forumosa may just be a gossip mill where we shake our heads and “hope it’s not me”. At its best, we can exchange real experience, and come away ready to ask the right questions, or at least better ones than we would have if we face our problems alone

Right On. I empathize with that sentiment. :exclamation:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Goose Egg”]
I am relieved to hear that Mark’s wife is as capable as we all could hope [/quote]
Relieved. As in Doubts Erased. Where do these doubts come from? :ponder:
[/quote]
No, relieved as in Simply Relieved. You seem to have added a completely new angle to the discussion I started - and that’s “new” as in “I expressed no doubts in Mark’s wife’s capabilities or attentiveness, so don’t project it on me” :noway:

You seem to want to discuss Mark’s wife - that’s a non-starter in my opinion, because from what I have heard and read, she has been nothing short of heroic.

How about we discuss what many of us do not already know? Like what are the options (if any) of a family in Taiwan where one of the breadwinners is chronically incapacitated, specifically if that person is not an ROC national? :s

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Goose Egg”]
I am relieved to hear that Mark’s wife is as capable as we all could hope [/quote]
Relieved. As in Doubts Erased. Where do these doubts come from? :ponder:
[/quote]
No, relieved as in Simply Relieved. You seem to have added a completely new angle to the discussion I started - and that’s “new” as in “I expressed no doubts in Mark’s wife’s capabilities or attentiveness, so don’t project it on me” :noway:

You seem to want to discuss Mark’s wife - that’s a non-starter in my opinion, because from what I have heard and read, she has been nothing short of heroic.
[/quote]
No doubt.
I am not projecting anything upon you.
Merely questioning diction. Much of which, in many of these forums, to my mind, seems to address the bloody obvious. I did not introduce this new angle: that was done in the posts to which I responded previously. Namely, Maoman & kate.lin.
What I do question is the “underlying assumptions.” about what has been or is beeing done in Mark’s specific case. Maybe this thread needs some editing: as in splitting the general from the specific.

And this is not merely my own dark sentiment.
Y’ken?
Others, far closer to Mark’s case than I could ever be, have made known their displeasure about the essential nature of several posts in this thread, and several other general sentiments in this thread, and one or two others.
This is getting pretty close to the bone, so I’ll cut out of this montage right now.
In closing, may I suggest some pruning and trimming of this thread, which, I might add, should have been at least attempted on page 1.

A noble effort, we missed that turn a few blocks ago.

Good idea, how about a seperate thread, one completley different from the title of this one?
Life Insurance. That might be a good one.

Res Ipsa Loquitor!
The Thing Speaks For Itself.
:silenced:

my taiwanese mother-in-law needs 24 hour care for debilitation from a stroke and alzheimer’s. the family applied for and got a fillipina live-in. this was all done through a government program, i believe, and is much more affordable than what we would have to pay in the US. any comments on this program and its applicability to ex-pats in need of live-in care?