Can you explain this ad?

Appearing now around Taipei:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aep/401991504/

They want gay blokes in the military?

HG

That thing has been my first sight in the morning for almost 2 years and I STILL shake my head at it.

But it isn’t the “gay” vibe that does it for me. I wish I could articulate why it makes my brain itch.

The group in the middle is called “frogman” which is Taiwan’s equivilent of the Navy SEAL. They train very hard and are well respected in the military because those are the type that can kill a man with their bare hand without the person knowing. This is basically a “Army be all you can be” type of ad…

The military has been trying to recruit volunteers which is why they are able to reduce the time for conscription.

No matter what its supposed to be, its homo as heck.

There has been one(1) member of the Taiwan military complete the BUDS/SEAL program in the USA in Coronado, California. He finished the training program in 2003 if I remember correctly. He did very well in the training program.
I have some personal opinions on the Taiwan military and its “training” and readiness status. There are a few motivated persons…a few.

[quote]Where can you find pleasure, search the world for treasure,
learn science, technology?
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
on the land or on the sea?
Where can you learn to fly, play in sports or skindive,
study oceanography?
when your team and others meet.

In the Navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas.
In the Navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
In the Navy, come on now people, make a stand.
In the Navy, can’t you see we need a hand.
In the Navy, come on, protect the motherland.
In the Navy, come on and join your fellow, man.
In the Navy, come on, people, and make a stand.
In the Navy, in the Navy.

They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!

If you like adventure don’t you wait to enter
the recruiting office fast.
Don’t you hesitate, there is no need to wait;
they’re signing up new seamen fast.
Maybe you are too young to join up today
but don’t you worry 'bout the thing
for I’m sure there will be always the good Navy
protecting the land and sea.

In the Navy…

…But…but…but I’m afraid of water!
…hey…hey…look, men…
I get seasick even watching it on the TV!
They want You! - Oh my goodness!
They want you! - What am I gonna do in a submarine?
They want you! They want you!
In the Navy.

In the Navy… (fade out)[/quote]

Indeed.

Camp as a row of tents!

Bloody hilarious :slight_smile:

But don’t the Taiwanese also view it as gay? Army recruitment in Australia is about as Macho as you can get and an advertisement like the above would just never happen.

What was the advertising agency thinking? Well its Taiwan anyway… apparently in Korea guys that are friends hold hands :astonished:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]No matter what its supposed to be, its homo as heck.

There has been one(1) member of the Taiwan military complete the BUDS/SEAL program in the USA in Coronado, California. He finished the training program in 2003 if I remember correctly. He did very well in the training program.
I have some personal opinions on the Taiwan military and its “training” and readiness status. There are a few motivated persons…a few.[/quote]

Are the Seals the standard now? Try the Australian SAS.

Only one photo seems to indicate any military skills – the rest make it seem like the ROC Seals is where you make lasting friendships and sexy pyramids. I’ve heard that Charles Grainer and Lyndie England are serving part of their prison sentences by helping Taiwan make recruitment advertisements with PhotoShop.

New recruits: brownmarkfilms.com/bm/whatwhat/

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Are the Seals the standard now? Try the Australian SAS.[/quote]Tyc00n -
Didn’t mean it that way. Just throwing in a bit of Taiwan military trivia.

I don’t see the link with the SAS, or as we call them, the chicken stranglers, but that’s fucking hilarious. The chocolate starfish at the outset is a classic.

HG

The SAS is aiming to be more diverse.

Didn’t it make you want to choke your chicken?

Kumbaya, ya’ll! :bow:

[quote=“Tyc00n”]But don’t the Taiwanese also view it as gay? Army recruitment in Australia is about as Macho as you can get and an advertisement like the above would just never happen.

What was the advertising agency thinking? Well its Taiwan anyway… apparently in Korea guys that are friends hold hands :astonished:[/quote]
The Taiwanese in general seem gay blind. Things that seem obviously gay to us pass unnoticed here; people who are obviously gay to us are assumed to be heterosexual here (except of course by other gay people).

To my understanding, Ministry of Defense actually wanna create a “Your kids will be happy and well-trained here” message to the parenets, which have a dominant position on childern’s decision in general in Taiwanese culture. And, Taiwan MOD have so many bad records to make parents/prospect draftee to worry about their life, so they do not wanna to make another tough image.

Aslo, general Taiwanese men doesn’t like the military life so much, since it is compulsory. If you have to do it, you would tend to finish it in an easier way, right? So, why bother to tortue yourself for the hardest training…

So, if they want someone to sign up for this training, you need to give them some incentive. And here we are. MOD try to tell them that, “you will be a happy and well-trained Navy Seal, so, sign it up!!”

Obviously they did not pass this message quite well, :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Tyc00n”]But don’t the Taiwanese also view it as gay? Army recruitment in Australia is about as Macho as you can get and an advertisement like the above would just never happen.

What was the advertising agency thinking? Well its Taiwan anyway… apparently in Korea guys that are friends hold hands :astonished:[/quote]
The Taiwanese in general seem gay blind. Things that seem obviously gay to us pass unnoticed here; people who are obviously gay to us are assumed to be heterosexual here (except of course by other gay people).[/quote]

That’s so true :wink:

I don’t think it is gay blind. The Taiwanese just aren’t as homophobic as others.

but more afraid of talking about it. most of my griends are gay. the things they say are a trip.

[quote=“arion”][quote=“bababa”][quote=“Tyc00n”]But don’t the Taiwanese also view it as gay? Army recruitment in Australia is about as Macho as you can get and an advertisement like the above would just never happen.

The Taiwanese in general seem gay blind. Things that seem obviously gay to us pass unnoticed here; people who are obviously gay to us are assumed to be heterosexual here (except of course by other gay people).[/quote]

That’s so true ;-)[/quote]

I’d say the Taiwanese don’t have all of the Puritan hangups about homosexuality that westerners, in particular Americans, do.