Can your ex employer find out your new job?

Can my wife find out that I was having a cheeky smoke on the balcony? She did today when she came back from work early, and that hurt.

4 Likes

True.

So, simple answer: Yes, they absolutely can find you. Probably very easily.

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

1 Like

I agree, but it depends on if theyā€™re looking for you or not.

Thats on the verge of general advice hehe :wink:

1 Like

likely they will find out

But they may not care. I was a popular teacher at a school. One day, a 5th grader turns in her notebook to me by throwing it from her seat and it lands on the floor. I told her to pick it up and put it on my desk. She cried. From that, my days were numbered. It only takes 1. The typical Chinese boss can only see the 1NT in front of this nose. Nearby happy Marian hired me anyway. Within days I had rowdy classes doing their work quietly and bad kids chilled out. The new boss had heard the story and did not care, probably because she saw my demo, and saw me ā€” not some NT. Her name is Peggy and last I heard she was at BanQiao happy Marian. Sheā€™s not the typical Chinese boss. Try her.

If the OP is going to lie in order to get out of his contract, perhaps someone here can inform him if he would be breaking any laws by doing so. Couldnā€™t his boss sue him if they found out the truth? I would.

This is a good question. I think your biggest worry would be Facebook, after that the internet in general. Nothingā€™s preventing this boss from doing a Google search, and your new school would likely be including your name in promotional materials.

I wouldnā€™t be so detailed as your story following this in case you have a bad experience later and they trace you.
But this is true in some cases, but not others. I had one boss tell me she didnā€™t see children, she only saw walking money. Another seemed to run a school as a vanity project and splurged like mad but only cared about the kidā€™s attitudes, which were horrible, though she was blind to it.
We donā€™t know the OP is a teacher though.

Thatā€™s good advice if the OP is Taiwanese, but itā€™s not going to fix his situation with his work permit if heā€™s not. He has to go through the right steps to keep his ARC. An excuse Iā€™ve found works is to say that your current job is too stressful, you canā€™t handle it anymore, and you need to change. You can also plead health issues.

1 Like

We donā€™t know if OP needs a work permit.

Additionally, he could have an APRC or have a Taiwanese spouse. The point is that he may have more to consider than a lie.

Good point,I am a permanent resident , so never thought about that. :+1:

1 Like

I remember when colleagues left my old job theyā€™d make up stories of moving to China or Hong Kong. I found it pretty childish since it was an international company but given the stories Iā€™ve heard from friends regarding old bosses, I understood why.

3 Likes

You could also say youā€™re leaving Taiwan then not. I know a lot of people here (though Taiwanese) who told their employers they were going on a working holiday, then didnā€™t. Some of them had the pandemic as an excuse (anyone who quit their job in Jan/Feb of 2020), but a lot of them have just accepted the awkwardness of potentially running into their employer.

Other than work permits and ARC problems, I donā€™t know what youā€™d worry about. Peoples plans change all the time and itā€™s no ones business but your own (and your familyā€™s, if you care about them). Also, your employer isnā€™t going to want to pay for your work permit and health care if they donā€™t have to.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I donā€™t need to worry about work permits. I have an APRC now. I guess the only legal worry would be that I am breaking my contract. What could a company do if they found out you lied to get out of your contract? Do contracts have any legal standing?@yyy @tando

Does your contract say youā€™ll owe them money for breaking it? If no, thereā€™s not much they can do if you break it

it may depend on your contract and actual situation of your employment.

This thread might lend some credence to the fact that they can absolutely find out your data in taiwan. Assume nothing is private. The question is, as mentioned previously, do they care enough to.