Canada: A land of dreams or a site of scams for international students?

Applying and registering | Sorbonne Université (sorbonne-universite.fr)

The registration fees per year depend on the degree. Fees for 2023-2024 were:
Bachelor’s degree: 170€.
Master’s degree: 243€
Doctorate degree: 380€.

I just did a little googling and it seems Canada has more than double the amount of international students of those two combined
:man_shrugging:

Sure, people prefer English instruction and Canada is slightly cheaper than the US and UK.

However, if you know French, German or other European languages and want fast track immigration, the state is a lot more generous in these locales. France, especially, as those prices are for some pretty good schools.

More news

1 Like

For a glimpse of what this feels like on the ground, rewatch the video at the top of this thread. :sorrow:

Guy

I watched it when you posted it.

My point in that last comment is maybe almost free tuition in France and Norway isn’t what people want

I have also said, perhaps even in this thread, that Canada needs to pump the brakes on immigration until the various levels of government sort out cost of living issues :man_shrugging:

An update

Good find. Clearly this issue is part of current policy debate. Whether shifting course will be enough to save the Liberal Party’s &ss in the next election is another question . . .

Guy

They could just start building high rises like china to meet housing demand, not artificially reduce supply.

The number of international students in Canada has reportedly tripled from 2013 to 2023.

The “artificial” versus “natural” binary you are invoking here does not account for how policy has changed and how scam artists, both inside and outside Canada, have proliferated in that decade.

Guy

With what labour and with the NIMBY mindset?

I’m going to back to family and waterfront property at Xmas. Most people on Vancouver Island would not want mass housing ruining the pristine landscapes. Large parts of wealthy Canada—from Westmount in Montreal to Rosedale in Toronto to Oak Bay in Victoria and most of Vancouver Island are epicenters of “Not in My Backyard” mindsets. What’s the alternative? Build them in middle of nowhere and require commutes?

On building them if they did get zoning approval? The Thrifty foods by our place has had “Help Wanted” signs for years. That is just in the food and hospitality sector. When building a brand new house, a family member recently had to wait for months for upgrades for appliances because of limited tradespeople, months waiting lists for follow up work, etc. As mentioned in other threads, certification etc. is a problem.

It ain’t a simple solution and Golden Pony and his merry band of fluffers have dropped the ball on a lot of things. :clown_face:

A land of dreams? Maybe for very rich international students that are too dumb for ivy league? :laughing: The rejects? :clown_face:

The rejects from the Revolutionary War. The rejects from the Vietnam War. And now the rejects of international students that couldn’t make it into the Harvards, the Yales, the Oxfords, the Berkeleys. :cowboy_hat_face:

The landscapes are amazing though!!! :laughing:

1 Like

Yea I wonder what are they going to do about houses being too expensive?

Sacrifices will need to happen.

Seems the west have become increasingly selfish, with no fucks given about societal impacts. Explains their rather disasterous response for covid 19.

Do they really think tent cities are better than big buildings housing thousands of people?

They can’t just do it like China for reasons that have been discussed, and anyways read up on the present state of the Chinese housing market.

How about reducing the number of international students, as the article says is happening?

As opposed to the flawless Chinese response?

Not Canada, apparently, hence pumping the brakes on international students instead of issuing them tents.

1 Like

Seems Tokyo has very low housing cost despite how big it is.

But they’ve effectively outlawed NIMBYism. All zoning regulations are decided centrally.

Yeah, there are definitely solutions, but I don’t know that I agree with giving citizens zero say about what happens with their property or neighborhood

I also remember hearing about micro apartments in Tokyo and doing a quick Google search shows that not only are rents kept low by cooking in the shitter (not an awesome solution), but not surprisingly you are wrong about the general affordability of apartments in Tokyo.

1 Like

In the end it’s all supply and demand. If a lot of people keeps coming to the city the obvious solution is build more houses. Also you live in a tiny house like this you wouldn’t be cooking at all.

Any control by fiat is doomed to fail.

I would like to nominate the “Canada should follow China in terms of housing policy” idea floated above as a contender for a Bad Take medal in 2023. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

What would be the solution? Impose artificial controls? People want to come they’re going to come, one way or another.

North America has some of the least efficient use of space in the world. They could hold 10 times more people if the will exists.

Right, and so various supply and demand levers are being used. The governments can do more, but they have to make informed decisions.

Takes time, they’re working on it. The other obvious solution is to lower demand, which they are also working on

Preventing fraudulent university acceptances and keeping out the bottom of the barrel is hardly a bad strategy. By itself it is not enough, good thing this isn’t the only lever

Right, another reason why just building like china or rezoning like Japan are obviously bad ideas. Stopping the least qualified foreign students from entering is clearly a better solution.

The inability of Canadian governments to do much by fiat is what slows down construction of new houses.

You can’t just walk to Canada, except from the US. Every country in the world has “artifical controls” over their borders, some more than others

Part of the solution is controlling demand by not actively encouraging and assisting people from outside to go in. This is only part of the puzzle, and this recent development is a part of that. By itself it isn’t enough, but there is no one magic solution