Canadian Politics/News

Oops
Canada not so benevolent:

Most doses will go to lower- and lower-middle income economies such as India, Nigeria and Brazil, but richer countries including Canada, New Zealand and South Korea who bought into the bulk purchases as backup for their own vaccine rollouts have suddenly faced criticisms for doing so.

Canadian opposition parties and anti-poverty groups such as Oxfam blasted the government for accepting vaccines needed in poorer nations.

https://www.rawstory.com/justin-trudeau-defends-canada-taking-vaccines-from-sharing-program/

Not surprised.

Can you please use real sources on this thread…

They aren’t stealing anything. They’ve donated a lot of money and get some vaccines. That’s how the program works. It works as an insurance. Most of the money Canada gave will go to bringing vaccines to developing nations.

And the only reason they need to do this is because the EU and US are now hoarding vaccines and won’t honor the contracts Canada signed

"Covax pools funds from wealthier countries to help buy vaccines for themselves and low-income nations.

The scheme has announced a plan to deliver more than 330 million vaccine doses in the first half of 2021.

Canada is the only member of the G7 group of rich countries listed as a Covax beneficiary at this stage.

Other wealthier countries, including New Zealand and Singapore, have requested an early allocation as well.

Most of the first doses available, though, will be delivered to low- and middle-income countries."

FYI

The Raw Story (also stylized as RawStory [1]) is an American online tabloid founded in 2004 by John K. Byrne.

Yes it is . It’s senationalist and very left-wing like…the Globe and Mail

or the Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/coronavirus-canada-covax-vaccine/2021/02/04/7c2523ce-6727-11eb-8468-21bc48f07fe5_story.html

Thank you for posting real news. You can see the framing is very different. I didn’t say raw story made up news, I said it framed it in a misleading way. Hence the tabloid category

Cheers

In my experience, most Americans learned everything they know about Canada from that movie. Sad.

1 Like
1 Like

More real news:

Thanks for that Mike N1

From the article

"Last year, Trudeau’s government made agreements with manufacturers that gave it one of the highest per-capita supplies of coronavirus vaccines in the world.

As the drugs finally roll out, however, Canada has been hit with delays. Last week, no vaccines arrived from Pfizer and the government expects a dip in Moderna’s shipments"

Also, Canada has donated hundreds of millions of dollars, most of that money will go to vaccines for less developed nations.

The US has not donated to this program

And this

“Turning to Covax demonstrates the desperation of the Trudeau government in terms of its vaccine policy,” said Jillian Kohler, a University of Toronto professor focused on global access to medicines. “Taking [vaccine supply] from a multilateral institution that was designed particularly to help the world’s poor is shocking and an embarrassment.”

“We’re dealing with a pandemic. People are dying, we have serious variants in Canada. This is not the time to be messing up on policy,” said Kohler. “It didn’t have to happen this way. It didn’t have to be this bad and this outrageous.”

Being better than Donald Trump is a low bar.

1 Like

That’s for that unrelated bar graph. It’s that per capita btw?

Would you like me to repeat myself? The US is not a member of and has not donated to Covax.

Sleepy Joe hasn’t done anything to join as far as I know

Right, the opinion of one critic… cool :roll_eyes:

Yeah, what would he know?

Foreign aid|
US $30, 075 million
Canada $4,965 million
So Canada is 1.66 more generous than America? RBE is right, we should do better than that incredibly low bar.

Sounds like a woman’s name, no?

Embarrassing when you misgender your own source…

But back to your argument. I don’t get your point. The opposition in Canada is trying to politicize the pandemic. The liberals ordered enough, more than any other country per capita and europe is messing around with the supply chain.