Canadians: Would you go to war if you were asked?

Hopefully more will wake up.

40,000 since 2000 is promising.

[url=http://www.airforcetimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1930387.php]Thousands of troops say they won’t fight

By Ana Radelat
Gannett News Service

Swept up by a wave of patriotism after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Chris Magaoay joined the Marine Corps in November 2004.

The newly married Magaoay thought a military career would allow him to continue his college education, help his country and set his life on the right path.

Less than two years later, Magaoay became one of thousands of military deserters who have chosen a lifetime of exile or possible court-martial rather than fight in Iraq or Afghanistan.

“It wasn’t something I did on the spur of the moment,” said Magaoay, a native of Maui, Hawaii. “It took me a long time to realize what was going on. The war is illegal.”

Magaoay said his disillusionment with the military began in boot camp in Twentynine Palms, Calif., where a superior officer joked about killing and mistreating Iraqis. When his unit was deployed to Iraq in March, Magaoay and his wife drove to Canada, joining a small group of deserters who are trying to win permission from the Canadian government to stay.[/url]

[quote=“cake”] Swept up by a wave of patriotism after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Chris Magaoay joined the Marine Corps in November 2004.

The newly married Magaoay thought a military career would allow him to continue his college education, help his country and set his life on the right path. … , joining a small group of deserters who are trying to win permission from the Canadian government to stay.[/url][/quote]

Yeah these wankers like the cheap housing and education but when it comes to doing what theyz been told… Oh no Sir, me coward runaway to another country… never had intention of actually fighting or nufink… didnt read that part in the duty statement… must have slipped past me reading glasses that line about fightin’ and stuff like that when ah was reading the benefits sections

He coulda left during boot camp :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Not all Canadians teach English.[/quote]

Hey, if there’s a surplus, maybe they can head south and fill up those shortfalls in US Army recruiting that Americans are unwilling to.

Film from Canadian troops in Afghanistan:

[quote]August 03, 2006, Video: Sangin - Ambush

SYNOPSIS: Troops from Alpha Company, 2nd Platoon, “Red Devils” from Edmonton, Canada are ambushed as they conducted battle damage assessment in the village on July 15, 2006 in Sangin, Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan.
For video: Click here

kgw.com[/quote]

Hey, if there’s a surplus, maybe they can head south and fill up those shortfalls in US Army recruiting that Americans are unwilling to.[/quote]

Does the Canadian national health system pay for your estrogen hormone treatment?

Hey, if there’s a surplus, maybe they can head south and fill up those shortfalls in US Army recruiting that Americans are unwilling to.[/quote]

Does the Canadian national health system pay for your estrogen hormone treatment?[/quote]

Nah, I get in touch with my feminine side naturally.

But maybe Floyd Landis can hand out enough testosterone that even College Republicans will have balls enough to sign up

We’ve done it before. History may repeat itself.

MikeN-
Got facts?

[quote]Services Meet or Exceed Active Duty Recruiting Goals for 14th Straight Month

WASHINGTON, Aug. 10, 2006 – All active-duty military components met or exceeded their July recruiting goals, Defense Department officials announced today, marking the 14th consecutive month the services have met or exceeded their goals. The Army exceeded its goal of 10,450 recruits; it signed up 10,890 new soldiers, for 104 percent of its goal. The Navy and Air Force both came in at 100 percent, with 4,043 and 2,121 recruited respectively, while the Marine Corps hit 112 percent of its July goal, with 3,197 recruits.

“It demonstrates that men and women of military-service age are finding that they want to contribute in significant ways to this global war of terror and to protecting the freedoms that everyone in this country enjoys,” DoD spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

On the reserve-component side, three of the six components made their goals, but all save one are on track to meet fiscal year goals. The Naval Reserve is at 84 percent of its goal for fiscal 2006. Navy officials said the service is having difficulty meeting the reserve mission. Part of this is because active-duty retention is so high. The Naval Reserve gets most of its people from those leaving active duty. Those people who normally go into the reserve are just not getting out of the active-duty Navy, officials said.
defenselink.mil/news/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=420[/quote]
And…

[quote]US Army seen reaching recruiting goal despite war
By Will Dunham, Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50pm ET164

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army, which fell short in recruiting last year, made its 14th straight monthly goal in July and is expected to hit its 2006 target despite the Iraq war making recruiting harder, officials said on Thursday.
Reuters[/quote]

Gee…maybe you need to get your news from a more reliable source.
And you’re Canadian…whats your excuse?
This this about Canadians.

Somebody asked why I would go to war and I’ll say this:

We’re in it together and instead of complaints and bickering we should support eachother. My house flew the American and the Canadian flag. My family had a list of warriors.

I’m sketchy on facts but I do believe that this is the first war Canadians have not backed up their British and American allies with armed forces. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sadly our looney is strong because we chose not to fight this war. Ironic.

We’re only as strong as our weakest link - Loose lips sink ships and all that jazz.

What war you talkin; 'boot, eh?

Youtube vid of Cannucks shootin’ in "ghanistan, man

HG

What war you talkin; 'boot, eh?

Youtube vid of Cannucks shootin’ in "ghanistan, man

HG[/quote]

I realise that we are in Afganistan but officially cleaning up the mess (Peace Keeping).

We refused to go to war in Iraq but I don’t know if that was because we didn’t agree or didn’t have the man power to make a difference. Not sure. Both?

HG, you always manage to make me laugh. “Kick’m in the goolies” hahaha.

I dunno, Monster, despite occasionally playing with Canadian sensitivities on here, I reckon the Canadians have always done their bit and fought the just fight. I’d hate to see the Canadians shift gear and start rampaging with the yanks all over the globe. Your troops are doing good in Afghanistan. It’s enough.

HG

Unlike the Australians who fall all over themselves everytime “queen and country” need to quell some wogs…and fill a few hundred thousand bodybags in the process.

Get real.

Get real, erh, moi?

Tell it like it is Doc. You saying Australians are American war wagon whores? I’d have to agree. Sorry, we don’t bat much for the English these days, there was that little kerfuffle about defending Australia vs knocking off Jerry back in 1942, and of course the fall of Singapore, to consider.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Get real, erh, moi?

Tell it like it is Doc. You saying Australians are American war wagon whores? [/quote]

Nope. I think you should substitute British for American and then it would make alot more sense. And alot of Australian still go to the UK to volunteer for the military.

What year is it? The Australian military hasn’t been at the beck and call of the UK since WWII. There was a decisive split when England refused to allow Australian troops to leave the Middle East and defend Australia. We’ve not really listened to you lot since then. In the interim, we’ve been in almost every conflict the yanks have had since, in no small part because of the Anzus treaty, which Australia (stupidly in my opinion) takes very seriously.

Umm, yes, but we got one of our own too. Service personell are often assigned to UK forces for training and as ethiquette, as they are to other forces such as Fiji, NZ, Indonesia and the US. The one area where there is some strong traditional ties is the SAS. Members are rotated through the UK SAS as are UK personell through the Oz SAS. This has offered perfect training opportunities for the UK SAS over the years, especially when Australia was involved in squabbles the UK didn’t get directly involved in, such as Vietnam.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I dunno, Monster, despite occasionally playing with Canadian sensitivities on here, I reckon the Canadians have always done their bit and fought the just fight. I’d hate to see the Canadians shift gear and start rampaging with the yanks all over the globe. Your troops are doing good in Afghanistan. It’s enough.

HG[/quote]

I agree and believe very strongly that we are doing the right thing. I do trust my Government. But my thinking happens to be that without unity on this matter in the ME; we’re all fucked.

People switching sides left, rigth and center. No one can come togther on this and that’s what loses wars.

The US is commited and if they don’t have some sort of back-up then more suffering will continue. Strange hypocricy isn’t it?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]MikeN-
Got facts?

[quote]Services Meet or Exceed Active Duty Recruiting Goals for 14th Straight Month

WASHINGTON, Aug. 10, 2006 – All active-duty military components met or exceeded their July recruiting goals, Defense Department officials announced today, marking the 14th consecutive month the services have met or exceeded their goals. The Army exceeded its goal of 10,450 recruits; it signed up 10,890 new soldiers, for 104 percent of its goal. The Navy and Air Force both came in at 100 percent, with 4,043 and 2,121 recruited respectively, while the Marine Corps hit 112 percent of its July goal, with 3,197 recruits.

“It demonstrates that men and women of military-service age are finding that they want to contribute in significant ways to this global war of terror and to protecting the freedoms that everyone in this country enjoys,” DoD spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

On the reserve-component side, three of the six components made their goals, but all save one are on track to meet fiscal year goals. The Naval Reserve is at 84 percent of its goal for fiscal 2006. Navy officials said the service is having difficulty meeting the reserve mission. Part of this is because active-duty retention is so high. The Naval Reserve gets most of its people from those leaving active duty. Those people who normally go into the reserve are just not getting out of the active-duty Navy, officials said.
defenselink.mil/news/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=420[/quote]
And…

[quote]US Army seen reaching recruiting goal despite war
By Will Dunham, Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50pm ET164

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army, which fell short in recruiting last year, made its 14th straight monthly goal in July and is expected to hit its 2006 target despite the Iraq war making recruiting harder, officials said on Thursday.
Reuters[/quote]

Gee…maybe you need to get your news from a more reliable source.
And you’re Canadian…whats your excuse?
This this about Canadians.[/quote]

like this one?

[quote]Spara said it was “too close to call” whether the Army’s part-time components, the National Guard and Reserve, will reach their 2006 targets. Both missed their July quotas and fell short last year.

The Army provides the bulk of U.S. ground forces in Iraq. Spara said the war continues to complicate recruiting, with parents and other influential adults more likely than in the past to counsel potential recruits against volunteering.

The Army sent 10,890 recruits into boot camp in July, exceeding its biggest goal of the year of 10,450 and pushing it 4 percent above its year-to-date goal. The Army has landed 62,505 recruits through July, and needs 17,495 more in the final two months of fiscal 2006 to meet its goal.

The Army National Guard missed its July goal by 25 percent and stood 1 percent behind its year-to-date goal. The Army Reserve missed its July goal by 13 percent and also was 1 percent behind its year-to-date goal.

The Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force made their July recruiting goals. The part-time Navy Reserve missed, and trailed its year-to-date goal by 16 percent.

Spara attributed the Army’s success to several steps taken to boost recruiting, including monetary enlistment incentives, raising the enlistment age limit to a person’s 42nd birthday, adding recruiters, and relaxing a ban on certain types of tattoos.

Some critics have questioned the quality of some recruits entering the Army. They note the Army is taking more recruits with criminal records, mostly misdemeanors; with body weight exceeding maximum body weight standards; and who fall into the military’s lowest acceptable quality category.

“They’re taking in less-qualified people,” said Lawrence Korb, an assistant secretary of defense under President Ronald Reagan. “Now, what they (Army leaders) will argue is that they are still above the minimum standards.”

But Korb, an analyst with the Center for American Progress, said when the Army brings in more people who do not meet its highest standards, it increases the chances of misconduct in the ranks and of having a less-capable force.

Spara defended the quality of the new recruits, saying, “You know, it’s a question of whether you want a bagel or you want angel food cake. They’re both bread.”[/quote]

In WW1 the Americans chose not to back up the Canadians and British in the fight against the Kaiser ; they also tried to dodge the war against Hitler and the Japanese militarists, and only responded when they themselves were attacked

(Full points to FDR and the Democrats, who realised this was a war to save Western Democracy, in the face of Republican Isolationists and Nazi sympathisers)

Other than that, Canada has chosen not to back up Britain in various colonial wars; and not to back up the US in Vietnam.

Korea was authorised by the UN and Bosnia by NATO; I suppose that leaves the Gulf War.

[quote=“MikeN”][quote=“M0NSTER”]

I’m sketchy on facts but I do believe that this is the first war Canadians have not backed up their British and American allies with armed forces. Correct me if I’m wrong.
[/quote]

In WW1 the Americans chose not to back up the Canadians and British in the fight against the Kaiser ; they also tried to dodge the war against Hitler and the Japanese militarists, and only responded when they themselves were attacked

(Full points to FDR and the Democrats, who realised this was a war to save Western Democracy, in the face of Republican Isolationists and Nazi sympathisers)

Other than that, Canada has chosen not to back up Britain in various colonial wars; and not to back up the US in Vietnam.

Korea was authorised by the UN and Bosnia by NATO; I suppose that leaves the Gulf War.[/quote]

The McCollum Memo:
The Smoking Gun of Pearl Harbor

and:

“…everything that the Japanese were planning to do was known to the United States…” ARMY BOARD, 1944

Even Chomsky has written about the Pearl Harbor official STORY.