Cancel Culture Victims

Good on Joe Rogan (still never watched him).
https://www.rawstory.com/joe-rogan-2654581884/

In the New York Times piece, titled “Can the Black Rifle Coffee Company Become the Starbucks of the Right?” the founders of the company attempted to distance themselves from “extremists” who they said had “hijacked” the brand.

In particular, Hafer denounced the Proud Boys and other violent white nationalist groups that embraced Black Rifle over the years.

“The racism [expletive] really pisses me off,” Hafer said. “I hate racist, Proud Boy-ish people. Like, I’ll pay them to leave my customer base. I would gladly chop all of those people out of my [expletive] customer database and pay them to get the [expletive] out.”

Rogan lashes out at both sides.

These comments infuriated right-wing pundits, who lashed out and called for boycotts of Black Rifle Coffee.

“It was so weird to see cancel culture come from the right,” Rogan said on his podcast. “I was like, I didn’t know it worked that way. I didn’t know you fucking idiots would do the same shit. Like, what is going on?”

I didn’t know you fucking idiots would do the same shit.

This kind of indicates he knew though.

2 Likes

Freddie the right-wing pet lefty-loonie still around?

That’s your takeaway from the article? Imagine my surprise…

No, I remember Freddie years back spouting Marxist nonsense which always just happened to support the farthest right wacko position. Even then he was one of the Right’s favorite sources- they were always quoting “even the left-wing writer Freddie de Boer”. Just happy to see he is still around, still working the same stand.

Yes, one of those rare leftists who’s willing to criticize his own side when they go off the rails.

I guess not being cancelled by a mob of mouth-breathing cretins on Twitter and some craven rat of an institution = “the farthest right wacko position”.

Maybe we need a Cancel Culture Avengers Thread.

A bit more:

just remembered this exchange thanks to some posts in peak woke!

I admire anyone from CNN for going on Joe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same. And while it was a fair thing for Joe to ask about, I think Gupta handled it about as well as possible, given that it had nothing to do with him.

Also, I don’t quite get what it has to do with cancel culture.

he’s the chief medical correspondent at CNN, so it is very relevant to him

but on cancel culture, i agree that it isn’t very relevant…

Is that … how it works? Like the idea here is that he reviewed and signed off on the “horse de-wormer” comments before they aired?

well, he can’t exactly say, as you did, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM, right?

there’s a lot of space between nothing to do with him and signs off on every story…

yes, that is a valid point

I … sort of think he can? I certainly don’t want to be held responsible for everything anyone at my company says, even if it falls under my supposed remit.

I dunno, it probably isn’t important. It just seems odd to me that it’s being reported as “Joe vs Gupta” rather than “Joe vs CNN”. Their actual conversation seems to have been friendly and civil, to me.

sure, especially the part where gupta admitted they shouldn’t have said what they said. carries a lot of weight given his title

yes

It’s just so rare that this kind of conversation would happen that it’s notable.

1 Like