Cancel Culture Victims

Bari Weiss is awesome. Great episode. Looking forward to future episodes here

1 Like

They missed the capital letter on “We”, but gave.black a capital “B”.:joy:

1 Like

i don’t know that his stand is brilliant or even interesting. Ngo i only learned about on here and it seems he is famous for being targeted with milkshakes and chasing after antifa (which, to my mind is the made up boogeyman the woke wishes CRT was).

then, this banjo player from some bad i’ve need heard of totally rolls over on his tweet and apologizes. the story here doesn’t include the tweet, but i guess it probably wasn’t worth getting upset about anyways. apparently the apology wasn’t sincere enough, and/or this guy wasn’t a great cultural loss, so with nothing to lose now he turns around and rescinds the apology that had no value to anyone in the first place.

brilliant.

JK Rowling, whose writing holds no interest for me, deserves respect because she has stuck by her position as far as i can tell. good on her.

Here’s an interview with him

2 Likes

In Texas, they know how to do cancel culture- none of this “I got cancelled by which I mean I quit because people said mean things about me on Twitter,” but good old-timey government-bringing-down-the-ban-hammer-for-wrong-think:

That’s a shame, censorship of uncomfortable history shouldn’t be his job. Perhaps a university will organize a debate on the book, which would allow for a fair discussion of the ideas. I hope this is good for book sales.

The organizers suggested hosting the discussion elsewhere than a state museum, but the book’s writers refused. I wonder what the content of the book was, that could be relevant. Or they could just be hyper-ventilating over an insult to the precious Alamo, most likely I guess.

Seems like the writers are all journalists, I can understand them preferring a museum for this talk since they aren’t historians.

I read a few reviews, it seems it gives an view on the Alamo as a battle for slavery and the cotton industry against the Mexicans who wanted to free the slaves. Probably it provides a valuable perspective on a historical event that is over-glorified by Texans. The reviews suggest it is humorous, “airy”, and I don’t know if the topic lends itself to a light hearted style but that is no reason to censor. \

Yes, probably it is this. So, a shame about the cancellation and I hope a university steps in to facilitate a debate that allows precious-Alamo journalists/historians to challenge the book in an open debate grounded in reason and civility. Seems unlikely, but that is my hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I wonder if Phylicia Rashad will lose her job as Dean of Fine Arts at Howard University although she has apologized for her tweet supporting Bill Cosby’s overturned conviction and release.

My guess is that she won’t “survive” cancellation.

With her research record, teaching experience, social media savvy, and finger on the pulse of the current campus zeitgeist, how could they possibly find someone more qualified?

A white saviour cancels a book because of the “white saviour motif”:

He’s a progressive, so he’ll be righteously unaware of what he’s doing. The worrying thing is that he’s made a name for himself and will no doubt get fast-tracked into a senior decision making position. These are the progressive pricks who are already dictating educational policy.

3 Likes

The oblivious hypocrisy seems to be a pattern
:brain:

2 Likes

Quite an episode.

1 Like

Watched the first 30 minutes. Interesting and he is right about one thing. The middle class and the working class are basically different species in the uk. They have totally different ways of looking at stuff.

Talking before the brexit vote.

Me. Looks like it will be remain.

Dad: What the fuck are you talking about? I don’t know one person voting remain.

I bet he didn’t.

Dad: Guaranteed leave. They keep trying to scare us about job losses and more expensive wine.

Well I don’t have a job already and I drink carling.

Totally different mindset and totally different to the political parties that we have right now.

2 Likes

The Swindon Honda boys just received a shocker.

1 Like

I doubt many of them voted Remain.

Not sure, I mean their job was directly reliant on being in the EU.

The car factory in my city closed down 15 years ago so less conflict of interest.

Lol idk if this was mentioned but Cleveland Brown was voiced by a white dude, Mike Henry