Cancel Culture Victims

Rowling is English and most Chinese in Britain (at the time) were from Hong Kong, which means Cho Chang is Cantonese and Cho(w) is a very common romanization in Cantonese.

That makes more sense! A bit familiar with Cantonese too, but can’t recall seeing “Cho” before though.

Chow, sure. Cho, no. Haven’t seen it, that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

They sound the same.

Also Cho actually sounds more like 秋 than the official romanisation (which would be something like Qiu). The thing is it’s just really silly to make a mountain out of this fictional name.

Meh, not seeing any mountains. Just seems a bit odd. Who knows?

Cho and 秋 sound completely different. What does this have to do with Chinese ability?

No, it doesn’t. Cho sounds like 醜. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They sound alike.

Maybe you have an accent.

Who cares anyway? My main point about the actress portraying her being ungrateful and entitled still stands. Her character name could be Bumlover Buttercheeks and it’d still be shitty of her to bite the hand that fed her.

Yes, but what romanization system would render 張 as Chang and 秋 as Cho?

It’s actually Cau or Chau, or Chao in the most common Cantonese romanizations.

Also, 周 and 秋 don’t sound the same in Cantonese, Mandarin, nor Taigi. So Chow Yun-fat doesn’t apply here.

2 Likes

Your ears are busted.

Yes, Taiwanese.

I wasn’t referring to this part.

I don’t think that matters. The point is Cho Chang isn’t that weird a name.

What does 秋 sound like then? :roll:

Then maybe you should relearn it.

Qiu.

Right, q obviously sounds like ㄑ :rofl:

If Cho is some odd way of spelling 秋 in Cantonese, it would make no sense to spell 張 as Chang, since 張 is usually spelled as Cheung if you go with the Ch initial, like Leslie Cheung Kwok Wing (張國榮). Please don’t tell me Cheung sounds like Chang.

1 Like

Not as silly as the mountain made out of her innocuous trans comments.

1 Like

That’s not the point. JK Rowling isn’t a Chinese speaker so she doesn’t know the details. She just came up with a random name she thought would be normal in Chinese, and it can be translated to 張秋 which is a normal name.

She’s been hanging out with some really questionable and far right people which makes her trans comments not innocuous.

The problem here is yours. You don’t know how 漢語拼音 is pronounced.

I don’t want to know because it looks stupid. Q doesn’t sound like ㄑ in any language.