Cancel Culture Victims

Yeah, just seems petty. I doubt Putin is getting a cut of her take.

1 Like

A similar situation has been playing out in international hockey. The NHL has resisted it until now. A cynical view would be that thereā€™s too much money tied up in it to do anything else, but I hope the wolves are kept at bay regardless. One former star player has been very vocal about it, maybe there are others. A particular target has been Alex Ovechkin who has always been friends with (of a sort I guess) and/or had close ties with Putin, who is a big hockey fan. For one thing Ovi (as heā€™s often called) has a picture of him and Putin on his Instagram page. He made a statement much like the one this opera singer made, but never took the picture down or went farther. Heā€™s gotten heat from various quarters (including recently just because his son skated a bit at the league All-Star game, when many Ukrainian children donā€™t have anything like that privilege) but heā€™s between a rock and a hard place obviously. Iā€™m wondering how long the whole situation can continue. Russian players tend to go home over the summer to be with their families. Weā€™ll see this summer I guess. Another star player Artemi Panarin is known to have anti-Putin views; he got some minor legal harassment last year. A lot of younger guys have potential military service requirements. One goalie got sucked into that over the summer.

2 Likes

Maybe sheā€™s been more overtly Putinist than I thought

She was very friendly in years past. She should have known just by looking at him that he would one day invade Ukraine.

1 Like

This cancellation is very short-sighted, imho.

1 Like

A Russian opera starā€™s performance in Taiwan has been canceled over her stance on Russiaā€™s invasion of Ukraine. Singer Anna Netrebko had received criticism for social media posts about the war that did not condemn Russian president Vladimir Putin.

:roll:

Now the war is won!

Two women who falsely accused a man of sexual assault and damaged his career to pay large settlement.

Hmmm I think if you put his words in the context that the himself is providing at the beginning (that 80% of black people are NOT OK with white people=, itĀ“s understandable that he says that that can be considered a hate group and that itā€™s best to stay away from them, keep things friendly, but donā€™t give the support he used to give to their community.

Badly expressed, playing with fire, but heā€™s got a point.

ā€œFo shizzle, my nizzle!ā€

Mississippi meteorologist and news anchor apparently removed after quoting Snoop Dogg live on air

He does say that he canā€™t confirm that the closure is politically motivated.

Because they wonā€™t tell him the reason.

1 Like

ā€œUncle Roger is gonna get canceled after tonight.ā€ Ngā€™s accounts were suspended the very next day on Chinese social media sites Weibo and Bilibili.

Tbh most cancelled people deserved to be cancelled.

I think youā€™ve said that before.

Itā€™s an opinion that says more about you than anything else.

1 Like

I feel like none of you know Chinese at all. Her name is å¼µē§‹. ē§‹ means autumn. Thatā€™s a perfectly fine name.

Eh, if you say so. This isnā€™t a hill Iā€™m going to die on.

Itā€™s not a hill. Itā€™s the official translation. I read Harry Potter in Chinese.

1 Like

Okay, I believe you! Iā€™m cool with the name Cho Chang! :+1:

Yeah but whatā€™s more likely:

Rowling imagined a beautiful Chinese name and gave it an odd non-standard Romanization years before a Chinese translation of the book was even imagined
Rowling had little knowledge of Chinese and made up a random Chinese-sounding name that she liked for the character, and the translators years later came up with the closest normal equivalent they could

2 Likes