Cancel Culture Victims

Remember when those woke types forced the renaming and redesign of Darkie toothpaste? I’m sure some Forumosans are still in mourning

2 Likes

Yeah, but the Chinese is still the same.

2 Likes

Well maybe the city and college are next in the line of fire.

No you are a privileged white supremacist. Everything is racist. Even doing nothing. Silence is racist too.

3 Likes

It’s true…

talking about it (if you are white) is also racist

1 Like

Even his contemporaries in Spain thought he was a vicious asshole.

All I see is a load of nutters.

2 Likes

I think that’s a pretty good summary of the situation.

1 Like

It’s a bit weird. But Christopher Columbus was at the front end of a legitimate genocide.
Look what happened to Hispaniola.
In many ways an evil man.

Columbus was surprised by the civility of the Taíno people. Columbus stated, “They will give all that they do possess for anything that is given to them, exchanging things even for bits of broken crockery,” he noted upon meeting them in the Bahamas in 1492. “They were very well built, with very handsome bodies and very good faces…They do not carry arms or know them…They should be good servants.”[[13]]

On Columbus’ second voyage to their culture, he began to require tribute from the Taíno in Hispaniola. According to Kirkpatrick Sale, each adult over 14 years of age was expected to deliver a hawks bell full of gold every three months, or when this was lacking, twenty-five pounds of spun cotton. If this tribute was not brought, the Spanish cut off the hands of the Taíno and left them to bleed to death.[57] These cruel practices inspired many revolts by the Taíno and campaigns against the Spanish — some being successful, some

(Taíno - Wikipedia)

Because of Columbus’s exaggerated report and promises, his second expedition was given seventeen ships and more than twelve hundred men. The aim was clear: slaves and gold. They went from island to island in the Caribbean, taking Indians as captives. But as word spread of the Europeans’ intent they found more and more empty villages. On Haiti, they found that the sailors left behind at Fort Navidad had been killed in a battle with the Indians, after they had roamed the island in gangs looking for gold, taking women and children as slaves for sex and labor.

Now, from his base on Haiti, Columbus sent expedition after expedition into the interior. They found no gold fields, but had to fill up the ships returning to Spain with some kind of dividend. In the year 1495, they went on a great slave raid, rounded up fifteen hundred Arawak men, women and children, put them in pens guarded by Spaniards and dogs, then picked the five hundred best specimens to load on to ships. Of those five hundred, two hundred died en route.

I don’t think this is true, and is, in fact ridiculous. But my point wasn’t how ignorant people are of Columbus’ greatness (though they are), but about the stupidity of taking down a statue to a person in a college named after that person in a city named after that person.

1 Like

Cancel everything or nothing and deal with it. The Mao leftists or Khmer Rouge Year Zero fanatics are as always going to pick and choose.
Will they go for Islam? Or the leftie Guardian Newspaper? Mandela? They will allow them of course… Hypocrites as always.

2 Likes

People crying over statues of despots and racists being taken down are just such sad sacks.

Are you incapable of reading the verified material I provided ?
Because there isn’t any debate that the Taino and the Arawak Indians were wiped out. Columbus was at the spearhead of that and I even provided the links.

Just because you are too lazy to check doesn’t give you an excuse to make shit up because ‘you think’.

Yeah, I’ve seen it all before. People have been attacking Columbus for as long as I can remember, so it’d be hard not to be familiar. The argument that Columbus is the spearhead of a genocide is puerile and ignorant.

You are full of it mate.

You can’t even put a decent argument together to back your views.

There isn’t any debate that Columbus and his men enslaved and murdered the Arawak and Taino and was at the forefront of their genocide.

Just because 'you heard it before ’ means fuck all. To put it politely.

I said that my point wasn’t to argue Columbus’ greatness. You’re the one hurling ad hominems, so why would I change my mind on that.

You say it’s not true back it up. You question historical facts , facts matter .

It’s embarrassing to see you cave so quickly man.

Make an effort if you are going to state something to actually back it up.

You claimed the facts were ’ ridiculous’.
It’s up to you to state why.

It’s totally uncontroversial mainstream history. Can you provide some support for your view?

1 Like

Lol. At the least, you should learn the meaning of big words before you use them. If you still believe what you wrote is true, it’s you who is ignorant. Ignoring historical facts doesn’t make your argument any better. It shows everyone what kind of person you are.

1 Like