Cancer risk cut significantly by quitting smoking before 45

Never too late to quit!

8 Likes

Does that mean I can chain smoke until I’m 45, and still likely be okay if I quit then?

(Joking, joking… kidding aside, I did successfully get a couple people I know, including my brother, to quit over the years… or at least contribute to their decision to do so)

4 Likes

Awesome, I have five more years before I have to worry about it!

2 Likes

Thank you to whoever added “smoking” to the title. I saw the original “quitting before 45” and thought “Oh crap, it’s already too late for me to retire?!”

2 Likes

When I was a kid some Lung Association of some type (do not remember) had a instructional van which traveled around. Inside they had examples of lungs at various stages of smoking…years and amount…for example someone smoking two packs for 20 years.

Talk about scaring a kid from smoking. I took one look at that blackened lung which looked gross and told myself I would never start the habit.

They also had a lung that was from a smoker who quit smoking…looked okay. They said that the lungs can rebuild themselves in 7 years after you quit smoking…something about the cells in your lungs are replaced more often than some other organs so possible to recover quite well if quit smoking. Do not know if is true.

I was in that van 50 years ago but still remember. I think they did a good job of scaring me. I only smoked sometimes for fun.

3 Likes

Only 3x the risk of cancer for smokers? I was under the impression it was more like 10-20x.

All cancers? The obese will seriously knock down the smokers’ relative risk in that case, plus many smokers will die of cardio-vascular issues before they get cancer.

Actuaries know the answer.

I thought just lung cancer.

But if the figure I’m thinking of represents all cancers, then yes, the general ill-health of the population may diminish the relative risk of smokers.

Off the top of my head close to 100 percent of lung cancers are smoking related. The obese account for the majority of all cancers.

2 Likes

I mean… if you quit life by 45, your cancer risk is also cut significantly.

1 Like

I stopped smoking even though I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Then 10 years later my smoking sister has chronic:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease , or COPD, refers to a group of diseases that cause airflow blockage and breathing-related problems. It includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Also her surgeon told her she needs surgery for her Femur disintegration from blood not getting to the bone from smoking.

Total femoral replacement (TFR) is a salvage arthroplasty procedure used as an alternative to lower limb amputation.

Man I’m so glad I stopped, it’s horrendous and you really suffer.
I’m her acting carer at present because of this and she still smokes.

2 Likes

Cool. I quit when I was 44. Now I just need to cut down on the booze.

4 Likes

Meanwhile

1 Like

Not just smoking, either.

“Alcohol abuse has increased during the coronavirus pandemic, according to the British Liver Trust, which has reported a 500% rise in calls to its helpline since lockdown began in March.”

Unsurprisingly, people who had been drinking too much to start with became full-blown alcoholics during the UK lockdowns. And of course:

1 Like

I wonder how addicts did during the lockdown.

I can imagine the terror of a opiate addict knowing the dope has dried up facing withdrawals. I hope people got clean during this time.

I’m guessing there were a lot of people just barely clinging onto reality who suddenly had government jackboots stamping on their fingers. Modern Brits weren’t the sanest people on the planet to start with, and the lockdowns would have just dropped them into the abyss. As for drug users specifically, a bit of googling suggests that some (not all) supply chains were disrupted and some people did get clean, but as with alcohol, cigarettes, and food, overall addiction rates have soared.

I actually think the UK got fatter from the lockdown. It’s really alarming. The government made 0 effort in getting people to care for their health.

Yeah, a lot of people took it as an opportunity to feel good about doing nothing. Their FOMO was non-existant as nobody was doing anything, and they felt good that by sitting inside munching on snacks they were doing their bit to stay safe and what-have-you.

I did the same but I broke some of the lockdown rules to go cycling. Believe it started out as one hour per day of cycling or walking but I’d sneak off from work for an afternoon on the bike… soz!

A lot of depression and relationship issues amongst friends now, not sure we’d survive another lockdown without a massive mental health epidemic… thankfully I don’t have these problems due to being an insufferable bastard so things are pretty good for me at the moment and that’s all that matters… me me me me me! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m worried as cases are on the rise again. I honestly don’t care anymore, I gave up so much for it already. If I get it, I get it.

You and me both. It’s like an invisible shovel about to hit you in the face, you know its going to happen but you don’t know when, if at all!

Anyway, we’re off-topic, apologies.

Back in the peak night-clubbing days, this was after the smoking ban on indoor premises came in, basically everyone stank of cheap, sickly-sweet alcopops, vomit and sweat. Even my copious consumption of Rosé wine (cheapest) did not offset the rancid smell and to be honest i went off going because of the smell and the association of vomit.

Nightclubs were better when you could smoke in them, I’m a fan of the smell of tobacco, personally. But smoking, nah. Costs too much and is detrimental to my cycling obsession :smiley: