CANZUK - Commonwealth People got opinions?

That pretty much sums it up. Understanding limeys is key to this.

2 Likes

European Union was/is a bureaucratic mess controlled by egomaniacs.
France nasty piece of work politically who love control. Germans are a fair nation who economically run the Union along with the UK.
The UK leaving is a big loss to the Union and they deserve it.
Long live British fishing waters, stick to frogs and snails stop taking our fish and selling to Asia.
Oh nearly forgot this bit: New Zealand looking at leaving commonwealth? Why shouldn’t they no reason to stay.

Plenty of reasons to stay. No reason to leave.

Yah, I think such a CANZUK proposal would have a significant shift in public opinion for this…Could very well be a stipulation that you need to keep the head of state to make it work.

1 Like

There are very small trade ties between any of them with the exception that Australia and NZ trade with each other. Trade between them and Canada is miniscule.

For Canada, the import share from Britain is 1.58% of our total, exports 1.78%. For Australia they’re 2.9% of exports, a whopping 4% of imports; NZ 2.5 % of exports 4.5% of imports.

Major trading partners of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand:

U.S.- pop. 330 million, GDP 20.5 trillion
EU- pop. 440 million, GDP 18.3 trillion
China- pop. 1.2 billion, GDP 13.8 trillion
Japan- pop. 120 million, GDP 5 trillion
SE Asia- pop. 670 million, GDP 3.17 trillion

For comparison
UK- pop. 67 million, GDP 2.85 trillion.

1 Like

My math isn’t great, but that looks like around 9% total. Why would this be something not to work on? I don’t get what your objection to it is.

Your argument against lowering trade barriers between these countries is that because trade is too small? What?

Well, surely not the brown skinned ones…what would the queen say?

But ya, in all seriousness, curious what would come of this…seems strange to me. Perhaps the old country just wants to be in charge of something again and is trying its luck with us pushover territories? Im confused.

Not at all. It’s about free movement. Free trade in goods and services AND labour. I welcome choice.

At first it might be a bit of a shock. But people will settle in areas they like and even find work that suits their abilities best. It’s literally free market action. And then after the market adjustment occurs, everything will settle down.

When put like that, sounds pretty decent. Guess i have some reading to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

UK is a TERRIBLE winemaking country for example. Canada and Australia are top tier in a CANZUK implementation.

But a skilled whiskey maker? Then that Australian might want to look at Canadian or UK scotch industries to contribute. This also contributes to free flow of ideas.

I love tech. I am enjoying myself doing tech marketing in Taiwan. My skills are being used more than me doing marketing for SC Johnson. I don’t care about detergent. I can tell you that since tech is SO HUGE in Taiwan that companies have no choice but to hire people who don’t care about tech and most people in tech offices either hate it or dont give two shits about it. Is that ideal? I am one of the few in the office offering ideas because my foreignness means I think differently.

Visas just make it harder for the people to tend to their calling. We bitch about our ARC restrictions all the time. Hobbling us from getting ahead.

1 Like

Inevitable? I thought it already happened.

2 Likes

Sorry. 4am brain fart.

Shut the door on the way out . :grin::wink:

Don’t come to the rest of Europe for holidays then . Stay in Scarborough. :sunglasses:

Wild fish don’t belong to anybody in reality.
https://tenor.com/x8ya.gif

I’m arguing that if you’re entering into a trade agreement it should be something meaningful, rather than with a mid-size economy you don’t trade with very much. How about CANZIN with India? Or CANARG with Argentina?

Pacific Rim partners, since they actually have significant trade with each other? Or, I don’t know, maybe an organisation dedicated to world trade?

As I said, the people talking about CANZUK are Brexiteers who just looked around and discovered the world is a harsh place when you don’t have friends, so they’re trying to revive Imperial nostalgia for the old “white Commonwealth”. Why no love for CARIBUK? Or MALSINGUK?

If trade is too small, why not expand it anyways?

I’m sure that there are brexiteers who are racist and want that, however, it doesn’t really provide a reason to NOT expand trade with Canada, Australia and New Zealand. They’re small trade, yet major economies, why not expand trade with them? You haven’t really provided an argument against why it shouldn’t happen except suggesting it’s not worth the time. If these are problematic sectors, should they not be expanded as well? You talk as if it’s mutually exclusive.

Secondly, I’ve suggested myself that the entire list of commonwealth realms should join and provide that variety of options that are needed. Basically I’m already saying it doesn’t go far enough. Argentina is already part of Mercosur, to trade with them would be bloc-bloc. India, despite not being a commonwealth realm would need to get its regulatory systems improved before joining such a bloc. With such huge disparities, especially in wages and product safety, or even the minimum wage, there would be exploitation problems on both sides. We don’t want rampant exploitation at the people’s expense and such a design would need to be thought out carefully.

1 Like

I love Scarborough, guaranteed a shag in Scarborough. :mermaid:t2:

1 Like

Favours for sailors? There aren’t that many of them left, are there?

2 Likes

They just gave that up with Brexit.

1 Like