CAPT Jiujitsu Discovery

CAPT Jiujitsu Discovery
March 17, Saturday

What do Jet Li and Jacky Chan have in common? Yes, both are celebrities and both have mastered the art of self-defense! And though CAPT can’t guarantee your celebrity status, we are however, joining forces with the Taiwanese Brazilian JiuJitsu Academy, to give you a chance to be trained on how to protect yourself!

That’s right! On March 17, you can learn Brazilian JiuJitsu (BJJ) for only NT$200! The course will include basic concepts, how to attack your opponents, and how to escape from chokes, bear hugs, pins, among others!

You see, BJJ is all about effective ground control. 99% of conflicts end up on the ground with the bigger, stronger guy mounted on the chest of the smaller guy, throwing punches on his face. No more! BJJ allows you a chance to neutralize the field and possibly “win” in these situations.

So don’t wait! Register NOW and discover how to kick some major *ss!

Date March 17, 2007 (Saturday)
Time 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Venue The Taiwan Brazilian JiuJitsu Academy (taiwanbjj.org)
We’ll meet at the Taipei City Hall MRT Exit 4 at 1:45 pm.
Attire Loose, comfortable clothing (T-Shirt and shorts will do)
Cost 200 NTD (Please bring exact change)
RSVP RSVP at capt.org.tw/registration.htm

Contact Tina (0919-491-046, tina@capt.org.tw)
Mark (0912-955-933, mark@capt.org.tw)

I’ll be there in spirit, as I’ll be competing in Thailand this weekend.

If you’re interested, this is a perfect opportunity to check it out.

[quote=“miltownkid”]I’ll be there in spirit, as I’ll be competing in Thailand this weekend.

If you’re interested, this is a perfect opportunity to check it out.[/quote]

You’re just scared that I might show up. :sunglasses:

SSSSHHHH…

I have a reputation to hold up.

Hmm. And what if they’re two on one?

You mean 2 people fighting 1 person? Is that what you’re asking?

You mean 2 people fighting 1 person? Is that what you’re asking?[/quote]
Exactly. So, “99% of conflicts end up on the ground with the bigger, stronger guy mounted on the chest of the smaller guy, throwing punches on his face”? Maybe, in the elementary school. In the real world bad guys work in packs. What do you do in this case?

Exactly. So, “99% of conflicts end up on the ground with the bigger, stronger guy mounted on the chest of the smaller guy, throwing punches on his face”? Maybe, in the elementary school. In the real world bad guys work in packs. What do you do in this case?[/quote]

Take out the biggest guy?

What would you do? Is there a martial art that’s proven effective against multiple opponents?

Exactly. So, “99% of conflicts end up on the ground with the bigger, stronger guy mounted on the chest of the smaller guy, throwing punches on his face”? Maybe, in the elementary school. In the real world bad guys work in packs. What do you do in this case?[/quote]

Take out the biggest guy?

What would you do? Is there a martial art that’s proven effective against multiple opponents?[/quote]

Sprinting?

I think such discussions are elementary.

I don’t know which real world you roll in, but my doesn’t have packs of bad guys looking to start trouble with me. And if it did, BJJ would be useful in situations with them because if you trained regularly you would have added strength and balance which would aid you in escaping a situation like that.

In a multiple attacker situation I would want to neutralize things as quickly as possible (talking, running, choking out/knocking out the dude doing the most talking, etc.) I would not want to exchange blows with them. It’s only a matter of time before a knife, bottle or bat gets brought into the equation from outside your field of vision.

I think the best parts of BJJ (and just about any other martial art) is the health benefits, the community and the enjoyment of competition.

I found a thread you might be interested in via google [Defense Against Multiple Attackers ]

[quote=“miltownkid”]I think such discussions are elementary.

I don’t know which real world you roll in, but my doesn’t have packs of bad guys looking to start trouble with me. And if it did, BJJ would be useful in situations with them because if you trained regularly you would have added strength and balance which would aid you in escaping a situation like that.

In a multiple attacker situation I would want to neutralize things as quickly as possible (talking, running, choking out/knocking out the dude doing the most talking, etc.) I would not want to exchange blows with them. It’s only a matter of time before a knife, bottle or bat gets brought into the equation from outside your field of vision.

I think the best parts of BJJ (and just about any other martial art) is the health benefits, the community and the enjoyment of competition.

I found a thread you might be interested in via google [Defense Against Multiple Attackers ][/quote]

What you say is quite different from the ability to protect yourself and win in 99% of all conflicts promised in the original ad.

[quote=“Tyio Ma”][quote=“miltownkid”]I think such discussions are elementary.

I found a thread you might be interested in via google [Defense Against Multiple Attackers ][/quote]

What you say is quite different from the ability to protect yourself and win in 99% of all conflicts promised in the original ad.[/quote]

You going to have to believe me when I say I’ve seen a lot of fights in Taiwan. Except for in traffic accidents and scuffles over parking spaces the fights were almost overwhelmingly a group effort. Foreigners fight each other in pairs or one to one when they are over here. Not the Taiwanese.

It’s almost formulaic:

One or two guys pinned the victims arms or tie him up talking to him or trying to get him to calm down, one or two guys standing behind them smashed bottles on the victim’s head, the victim went down-stomp party along with more beer bottles. They slap themselves on back for a brave fight.

Check out the news when they fight with the police or the Li Fa Yuan holds a fight, they do almost the same thing. It’s the chicken-shit bystanders blind-siding people.

Always felt Ba Gua Zhang had good footwork to get out of these situations.

So saying about good ground control stopping 99% of all attacks is a bit… misleading?

[quote=“Tyio Ma”][quote=“miltownkid”]I think such discussions are elementary.

What you say is quite different from the ability to protect yourself and win in 99% of all conflicts promised in the original ad.[/quote]

I would have to say that out of the few posters here (Taiwanfoot and Scott Sommers included), Miltownkid knows exactly what he’s talkin about. He lives the lifestyle, practices his art and carries himself in such a way that there’s no doubt he knows what he’s doing. Although I haven’t had a chance to hang out with him for any length of time…he’s a good guy and deserves respect. He doesn’t carry himself like a thug at all.

So in other words - this little expo sounds like a flippin gong show.

B2G - you’re exactly right.

My 2 sense.

In a street fight…the last fackin place you want to be is on the ground.

Exactly; the other guy might know BJJ. :wink:

Can you show us where in the original ad it says that?

And that.

Read it again.

Actually, I don’t think the “99% of conflicts end up on the ground” statement is accurate. The point is a lot of fights go to the ground. BJJ would also teach you to AVOID going to the ground (and give you a chance to escape a multiple attacker situation.)

Read it again.

Actually, I don’t think the “99% of conflicts end up on the ground” statement is accurate. The point is a lot of fights go to the ground. BJJ would also teach you to AVOID going to the ground (and give you a chance to escape a multiple attacker situation.)[/quote]

Why would you emphasize a part of the phrase? Here’s how I read it.

That reads like BJJ allows you a chance to possibly “win” in 99% of conflicts. Am I right or am I right? And then I just don’t believe such an ultimate MA exists. My point in this discussion is that while BJJ might be a well respected MA (read ‘sports activity’) the ad is greatly exaggerating the benefits you get from attending the course.

All it says is that 99% of fights end up on the ground. That 99% does not then carry over to the “possibility to win” (and then mean “a 99% probability to win.”) You are having a problem reading the ad. The ad is not greatly exaggerating anything, but you are greatly exaggerating how misleading the ad is.

Regardless, this event is to give you (or anyone) a taste of what BJJ is all about. If you took the sport seriously, you would be able to win 99% of all conflicts (I could against a “random” individual.) But that has nothing to do with a chosen art and everything to do with the amount of effort put forth by an individual. There are no “ultimate MAs,” but there are extraordinary people (which may make any given MA appear to be ultimate.)

How about I just give you a private demonstration and we call it a day. :smiley: I wouldn’t even charge you 200NT. We could even try out some multiple attacker scenarios for shits and giggles. I’d gladly take on 2-5 guys (with gloves and head gear) just to see what would happen.