Caring for sick wild mouse

My girlfriend and I found came across this mouse on a mountain road. It was barely moving, but otherwise showed no indication of injury or illness. I carried it into the nearby vegetation, but an hour later when we went to check up on it it was still there.
We took it home and are keeping it in a container with tissues and leaves for covering and water bottles/暖暖包hand warmers to keep the container warm. It still isn’t moving, won’t eat, but has licked a drop of water from a chopstick.I considered taking it to a vet but thought it better, overnight at least, to keep it calm and warm. Does anyone else have experience caring for sick rodents?

2 Likes

The best place for it really. Let nature take it’s course, it’ll get better or it won’t, best not to bring rodents with unknown ailments into your home.

6 Likes

I don’t know anything about mice, but from previous experience with random wild animals it’ll either survive or it won’t. If it has access to food and water then you’ve done what you can. A vet probably isn’t going to be much help.

Make sure it has free movement so that it can avoid the heat source if necessary.

1 Like

Hello hantavirus.

6 Likes

Thanks for the warning. Yes, he’s being kept in a quarantine hotel on a balcony and we’re applying the Bill Clinton (don’t inhale) approach to rodent rehabilitation.

1 Like

There’s actually a “Rodents Care” rodent rescue association. I’m gonna assume they only speak Mandarin, but you could try contacting them!
Here’s their website, and here’s the form to fill out for rescuing the little critters.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for that link!

1 Like

Having recovered overnight to the point where it was moving about and drinking water, the mouse unfortunately took a turn for the worse and passed away this afternoon :frowning: :frowning:

It was buried its mountain homeland, with all due rites and funeral pomp, in the shadow of a shrine dedicated to animal souls.

The mouseleum:

12 Likes

Rip

Its get up and go, had got up and left.

1 Like

It happens. At least you did your best.

2 Likes

Much respect for the compassion.

2 Likes

If I may.

Moi si j’étais l’Bon Dieu
Je crois qu’j’aurais des remords
Dire que maintenant il pleut
Dire que Fernand est mort

It was like that after our stag beetle passed

3 Likes

Sorry about the loss of your stag beetle. My S.O’s been in a “Ben” kind of a mood all evening:

2 Likes

I found this to be strangely profound, was watching it yesterday

1 Like

I had mice in my house years ago and felt pretty bad when the traps worked.

My cat averaged about 1 mouse kills a week when he was allowed to go outside… then I had to dispose of the remains because the cat wouldn’t.

1 Like

Getting deleted by a cat somehow seems better than an Oppenheimeresque mouse deletion contraption

Youtube went through a stage of suggesting me videos regarding mice traps. It was pretty grisly. Most of them involving used engine oil :sweat:

Edit: i duno why i watched it but i am a sheeple to the alglorithms

1 Like

Cats don’t kill their victim quickly, they torture them for sports.

I think a spring trap kills them instantly.

1 Like

Yes but if the cat does it you can blame the cat.