Carnegie's - the "chat" thread... (Part 3)

Bob,
Whats the deal on entry charge for your place ?
I have been down a few times in the past generally with a bunch of chums & never been charged entry. Last time I was charged. Was it that the particular people I was with were not regular enough to breeze past the bouncers ? or time of night ? day of week ?
Just curious, as I might be coming down tomorrow night.
Cheers

[quote=“Scuba”]Bob,
I have been down a few times in the past generally with a bunch of chums & never been charged entry. Last time I was charged. Was it that the particular people I was with were not regular enough to breeze past the bouncers ? or time of night ? day of week ?
Cheers[/quote]

Scuba: There is an NT$500 cover charge for non-members on Friday and Saturday nights after 9.30 p.m. This includes a drink. There is no cover charge on any other night of the week so you’ll be fine tomorrow (Thursday). There is a minimum age limit of 25 years of age on Saturday, Friday and Wednesday (Ladies’ Night). I can’t answer your question specifically as I have no idea who you are and the details you gave me are too vague. Perhaps you could PM me?

Regards,

Bob

Huh? That’s weird and arbitrary. How is 24 too young to attend? It is certainly over the legal age limit for alcohol consumption, conscription and voting.
Maybe you ought to have a geezers’ night. No one under 40 allowed.

'cause that way the old guys have a shot :laughing:

They already do, kind of - Ladies’ Night: almost no men under 40 :laughing:

Tetsuo: Thought you’d been mollified? :laughing: :wink:

Bob

He wore Molly out and he’s still not satisfied. He’s one voracious guy.

I sometimes go on Wednesdays, and I’m under 40. But I won’t be so hard on Molly if you can send her over to deal with my complaints next time. Haven’t had a good mollification for quite some time!

Stragbasher: :laughing: On behalf of all of us here at Carnegie’s, I would like to thank you for yet another insightful and useful contribution to the discussion on food and service. Have a Bacardi & Coke and try getting up in the afternoon. :wink:

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”][quote=“Scuba”]Bob,
Cheers[/quote]

Scuba: There is an NT$500 cover charge for non-members on Friday and Saturday nights after 9.30 p.m. This includes a drink. There is no cover charge on any other night of the week so you’ll be fine tomorrow (Thursday). There is a minimum age limit of 25 years of age on Saturday, Friday and Wednesday (Ladies’ Night). I can’t answer your question specifically as I have no idea who you are and the details
you gave me are too vague. Perhaps you could PM me?

Regards,

Bob[/quote]

Thanks, that explains it. Last time was a Friday with 3 other non members & previously my Friday visits were with members.

I’m damned impressed with the way Bob Marshall handles, and reponds, to criticism and suggestions from patrons. Bob, be assured, next time I’m in Taipei, I’ll be in Carnegies. You’re doing great mate!

Stan - Hsinchu

I think that the service and food is a bit better at McDonald’s though but that’s just my humble opinion. :smiling_imp:

I am not a lawyer, but I would imagine that a case could be brought to court for descrimination on the “no admittance under age 25.”
I am still trying to figure out what the point of that policy could possibly be (and the people I have discussed it with also are wondering).
Reminds me of Buffalo Town (the pub) where us Westerners got in for free, but the Chinese had to pay a cover. There was a real hue and cry over that.
I would certainly be incandescent with rage if I went with my 23-year-old friend and she was not allowed to enter because she was “too young.”
Maybe I could bring in two 13-year-olds and pass them off as one.

Don’t know about either here or the states, but in UK, pubs can refuse to serve or admit anyone they like – or should that be “anyone they don’t like?”

Back in NZ it’s the same - bars are private property, they can refuse entry to anyone they feel like refusing. Same as any shop, or any other piece of private property.

Mr. Reinhold: Why don’t you have lunch with me tomorrow in Carnegie’s and I will be happy to explain to you why we do things the way we do. I am confident that after hearing it from me you will be able to enlighten those with whom you have discussed the issue of ‘descrimination’[sic]. As it will be your second visit we can also discuss your other favourite Carnegie’s-related topics; your ridiculously insulting assertion that ‘most of’ our female patrons are hookers and the issue of ‘massive understaffing’. I am intrigued to learn more from you and will be delighted to buy you lunch. If tomorrow is really inconvenient for you, please let me know when you are available and when is convenient. The offer will remain open until accepted. In the interim I am not going to discuss or justify our policies with or to you in this public forum.

So, lunch? Tomorrow at 12.30 p.m.? You can be my guest.

Regards,

Bob Marshall
General Manager
Carnegie’sTaipei

Tpebob. Ever the gent, but not averse to a bit of judicious petard-hoisting. Go on Wolfie, it’ll open your eyes.

Why? Are not the policies related and applicable to the public?

A friend sent me this:

[quote]As it will be your second visit we can also discuss your other favourite Carnegie’s-related topics; your ridiculously insulting assertion that ‘most of’ our female patrons are hookers

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Several people have, jokingly I assumed, told me I should go to Carnegie’s and see Bob (with that sort of grin and wink that means, “So he can kick your ass”).

It sounds like a set-up, but thanks anyway. It’s a forum thing.[/quote]

I assume they are joking too, as kicking people’s asses is not my thing. And no it is not a set up. I would genuinely like to explain a few things to you in the spirit of frank and open discussion face to face. I am to those who know me an unassuming non-threatening bloke and this is the second time you have indicated an unwillingness to talk because you feel threatened. :unamused: To you it may be a ‘forum thing’ to myself and the 30+ people who work here, it is our livelihoods. So, any issues you may have, do raise them with me in person and accept the invitation. Our food is good as is our service. You have nothing to be afraid of. Nothing. I agree, our policies are of concern to the public, if they are indeed as concerned with them as you so evidently are; I merely stated that I was unwilling to discuss it with you in this public forum. As you have been here once only, you seem to devote a disproportionate amount of time finding and posting what you deem to be the negative regarding Carnegie’s. I am curious as to why this is hence the invitation to lunch. Your posts have indicated a level of interest beyond the ‘forum thing’ and as it is my business you wish to attack, it is in my view a ‘real thing’. The invitation remains open. Bring a chaperone if you don’t feel safe having lunch with me during the day in a busy restaurant with people around and a police station down the street. I’ll buy them lunch too (Sandman: I owe you one anyway, so maybe you could hold his hand and guide him through lunch). Lunch can include any drink you wish. If it’s a bottle of Champagne you want; no problem.

Will you reconsider? I won’t bite.

Bob

If I insult this establishment, do I also get an offer for a free meal ?

Eh? Whazzat? Really? Fuck me, I’d totally forgotten about that!

Joined today, one post; nice try! :bravo:

Bob