Carnegie's - the "chat" thread

Hoegaarden is back! Life is bearable once more! :smiley:

Just to let everybody know that might have been to Carnegies for a big pint and it was not on tap that Hoegaarden is back. So if you had experienced it before and missed it you are in luck, and if you have never tried it you now have your chance.

Word of warning though, it can be addictive stuff, and after getting a taste for it it can be very difficult to go back to other beers and you might find yourself spending an inordinate amount of time at Carnegies. And don’t be intimidated by the size of the glasses it’s served in either, that’s part of the fun.

You can pay 55 NT a pint for Guinness in many Wetherspoons pubs in the UK in happy hours.
P.S.
What time does Carnegies open on Sundays?

They open up on 11am on Sundays if I remember correctly.

I had to share this wonderful experience. I stopped by this Monday to enjoy their Monday night extra happy hour discount and to unwind a bit and had a blast. Well, last Friday was Halloween and they decorated the place up and put in red filters in their overhead flashing lights. Well, as Monday night wore on some of my other mates showed up and we were having a good time when the over head lights go off, the flashing lights come on, and Pink Floyd live is playing. Not only was it playing, but is was the DVD of their live performance and it was playing the video live on their big projection screen next to the DJ’s booth! Hoegaarden, red strobe lights, Pink Floyd in concert, good mates, and a couple of Cuban cigars made for just a perfect night. Many thanks to Bob and the Carnegie’s crew for a great time.

thats what i like to see a pub boss willing to go the extra yards…too often if you even dare to ask a pub to play something other than hotel california you just get snarled at

But the flight ticket is more expensive than a taxi to and from AnHe Road … :wink:

Only good before 9pm

Jonah Travel Limited - Flights to London from ONLY NT$150…

There’s a goofy Taiwan-style story beyond that fight. The Amazonian blond was hitting on or being hit on by a rugby player – think he was S. American but not sure. However, he drifted off to start working on the fetching friend of the above-mentioned tall Taiwanese girl. AMAZON got miffed and later started bullying the much smaller FRIEND, bashing into her while dancing, giving her nasty looks and whatnot. FRIEND complained to TALL that she was being picked on; TALL moved in between them and asked AMAZON to go away. AMAZON told TALL to get fucked, to which she naturally replied. From there it went to a tussle which climaxed with AMAZON kicking TALL right in her ample bossom before it was broken up by security. AMAZON was asked to apologize but whispered “Fuck you, slut” as she pretended to do so.

This all isn’t very interesting, I realize, but the upshot is pretty bizarre. TALL and FRIEND then waited outside and followed AMAZON in a car to the home of the rugby player, where they confronted her again. Upon seeing them, AMAZON exclaimed something like, “Oh you want some more of me???” and smacked FRIEND across the face. TALL then proceeded to take off her shoe and give AMAZON a good caning with it while RUGBY GUY watched, exclaiming “Oh my God” repeatedly! TALL and FRIEND then fled the scene.

There’s a goofy Taiwan-style story beyond that fight. The Amazonian blond was hitting on or being hit on by a rugby player – think he was S. American but not sure. However, he drifted off to start working on the fetching friend of the above-mentioned tall Taiwanese girl. AMAZON got miffed and later started bullying the much smaller FRIEND, bashing into her while dancing, giving her nasty looks and whatnot. FRIEND complained to TALL that she was being picked on; TALL moved in between them and asked AMAZON to go away. AMAZON told TALL to get fucked, to which she naturally replied. From there it went to a tussle which climaxed with AMAZON kicking TALL right in her ample bossom before it was broken up by security. AMAZON was asked to apologize but whispered “Fuck you, slut” as she pretended to do so.

This all isn’t very interesting, I realize, but the upshot is pretty bizarre. TALL and FRIEND then waited outside and followed AMAZON in a car to the home of the rugby player, where they confronted her again. Upon seeing them, AMAZON exclaimed something like, “Oh you want some more of me???” and smacked FRIEND across the face. TALL then proceeded to take off her shoe and give AMAZON a good caning with it while RUGBY GUY watched, exclaiming “Oh my God” repeatedly! TALL and FRIEND then fled the scene.

At least RUGBY GUY was smart enough not to interfere. Never, ever try to break up a fight between two chicks…and I mean never :shock:

So let me get this straight. AT the end of the night, what did he end up eating – Amazon?

Chewy

backpacker: PI, thai, indonesia have built huge industries off old guys trying to get into the asian fountain of youth.

the only time i was at carnegies the sign said no one under 25 could come in. ugh.

should i support ageism when it is my demographic they are “protecting”?

Are you talking about the the square in Amsterdam in NYC???
After reading all these, I start to miss the brunch time in Lincoln Center area …sigh…
Next time I will pick up a good day to have brunch @ Carnegie

[quote=“tigerman”]
From all the comments re the place at night, I’d probably never go there then… but it was really quite nice this afternoon, just after lunchtime. Honestly, it reminded me a bit of sitting outside in the square in Amsterdam drinking beer. I can imagine going back again for more of the same.[/quote]

[quote=“BeachLover”]Are you talking about the the square in Amsterdam in NYC???
After reading all these, I start to miss the brunch time in Lincoln Center area …sigh…
Next time I will pick up a good day to have brunch @ Carnegie [/quote]

No, actually I was referring to Amsterdam in the Netherlands (OK, I admit the comparison was a bit of a stretch…).

But I will be in NYC at the end of this month and I will be going to the Carnegie Deli to get a corned beef on rye. Mmmmmmm… :smiley:

Visit NYC in coming weeks??? HOW NICE!!! Envy you!!!
I was told there’s a powerful snow storm roared cross the NYC Metro area…seems like the snow season is coming earlier this year than last year then…
sorry…I am so off the topic :-o

[quote=“Tigerman”]No, actually I was referring to Amsterdam in the Netherlands (OK, I admit the comparison was a bit of a stretch…).

But I will be in NYC at the end of this month and I will be going to the Carnegie Deli to get a corned beef on rye. Mmmmmmm… :smiley:[/quote]

Sheepshagger,

Is this for real? How do I contact them? Would greatly appreciate any further info.

Thanks.
Abekonge

Abekonge,

I hate to break the news to you. It is not true. Against vehement protestations JTL was forced to raise the price to NT160.

Another reason to hit Carnigies for lunch or a relaxing and entertaining afternoon.

I popped in on Wed. and the brain trust was just starting a wine tasting to select the new house wine. I was invited to join in as an independent third party. 6 reds, bottles covered in tin foil and numbered. Nobody knowing what lied beneath the shiny covers. Tasted, discussed, rated, and all very objective. The winner was…well we all agreed on the top two, but you’ll just have stop in and discover it on your own. Its a doozy, wine lovers will agree.

Then, after finishing all six bottles during a long slurred conversation about life in Taiwan, international travel, politics, and some pure sillinness with Mr. Marshall, I scooted off to Alleycats for a tasty shepards pie and a few cheap bottles of heineken. Total cost of the afternoon around 500+ NT and a glorius hangover, no meat market, no crowds, just good simple fun.

It was a spontaneoous affair but well worth it should any of y’all have such fortunate timing. As you can all see the net result is that I usede up all my forumosan guanxi and now have none remaining. What did y’all get for your depleted guanxi :laughing:

Chou

Yet another reason to go to Carnegies is to shake Bob’s hand and buy him a drink.

Don’t know what happened to the search function but I couldn’t find the thread on tips for HK. Bob’s suggestions and help were priceless. I’m currently sitting in the Silvermine Beach Hotel using their free e-mail facilities after meeting and drinking with half the town last night. “Bob sent me” carries some mighty punch on this side of Lantau.

Cheers Bob. That’s several beers your way next time I’m in Taipei. Loads of folks wishing you well over here BTW mate.

HG