Carnegie's - the "chat" thread

[quote=“sheepshagger”]You don’t like ABC’s, you don’t like older people…[/quote]Don’t forget-[ul]Beijingers
Old Europe in general (except the UK… everyone knows the Brits are not really Europeans)
nancywu-like locals
Carnegie’s on Geezers’ Night[/ul]

I actually don’t hate ABCs. You misunderstood.

warmonkey, you are immature, if i may say so without offending you. someday you will be an old geezer like that guy in the photo and you won’t feel like it at all. THEN you will understand what a jerk you were when you were YOUNG… smile!

Yeah, warmonkey, stop picking on formosa and his friends.

HakkaSonic, I am twice your age by any day!

At least, but your postings have all the trappings of youth.

I’m in Carnegie’s quiet a lot. And I’m enjoy to seeing people elder age to have fun and dancing on bar… Hopefully I still can have as much fun as they do 10 years later. :blush:

Come on now… we all share a spliff with dear ol’ dad every now and then don’t we.

Why not share the wife?

Chou

Yes but he rolls them with St. Bruno Pipe tobacco. Yuk.

I have been going to Carnegies more and more lately since Bob got Hoegaarden on tap. Wonderful stuff and I highly recommend it to anyone that has not had a chance to try it yet. ABSOLUTELY worth every NT. :smiley:

I especially like going to Carnegies on Saturday or Sunday afternoons when it is quiet and relaxing and sit on the balcony drinking big pints of Hoegaarden watching the world go by. Definitely a nice way to spend the afternoon talking with people or just reflecting on life here in Taiwan.

I sometimes go to Carnegies on ladies night, just to see all the people or friends. But I prefer Carnegies more during the day time. I do really enjoy the 99NT hot dogs and burgers available on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Great for the munchies. They first had those on the 4th of July celebration and they were great. I think I ate 2 dogs and 2 burgers that day. Almost felt like I was back in the States again.

I have no problem with older people in there having a good time. Come on, everybody needs a chance to go out and party. Besides, do you want everybody in there to be under 25? Part of the reason places are fun is because you can get a good mix of people together that you might not normally meet.

A lot of folks give Carnegies a hard time, and I don’t know why. It has different phases from day to night, so if you don’t like one you can still enjoy the other. Also, the staff there are great and very concientious. I always get my beers filled quickly, even on ladies night which does say a lot. Also, Bob is very attentive and open to hearing what you think about the place and what they can do to make it better every time, not an attitude you see often in Taiwan. I think if anybody really does have a beef with the place you can just go up and talk to him and at least get his comments directly as he is a very nice guy.

Agree, I like Hoegaarden myself. And one of my female friend found that the Belgian raspberry beer in Carnegie’s, too. She loves it, you know, sweet, sour and raspberry flavor (I think name of beer is “Liefmans?” not sure), you know the way girls like, I haven’t give it a try yet, not sure I like the taste though. :?

Good for you, I’m sure you must be one of VIPs. I’m not, so I always get my drink or food slower. :shock: :unamused:

My wife, boy and I love to go there on a Saturday or Sunday for a lazy late lunch on the balcony. I usually start with an Erdinger’s mit hefeweizen, then have a Chimay Blue and finally finish with a Guinness. Service then is excellent and the girls (waitresses) are pretty and charming.

very nice on Sunday where they now have a pretty good brunch. What I like is the fact that An-Ho Rd. is mainly residential and it is nice to just see people strolling past or taking their dog out for a dump (preferably not right in front of where one sits). The traffic isn’t like a F1 racetrack and just sitting out there with a cold one is very pleasant. Hard to believe sometimes that one is right in the middle of a big city. Especially not a big Chinese city. Tigerman, given the residual sugars in the Chimay Blue, shouldn’t you have the Guinness before the Chimay?

I generally go from lightest (in terms of taste) to heaviest. Guinness is a strong tasting beer… I think the only beer I’ve ever had with a stronger taste than Guinness is Arrogant Bastard Ale… and after drinking a Guinness, everything else tastes like water. Being as I like to taste my beer, I drink the Chimay first, then the Guinness.

But everyone’s tastes are different.

"I generally go from lightest (in terms of taste) to heaviest. Guinness is a strong tasting beer… "

I would agree that Guinness is a strong tasting beer but the draught version is significantly less so than the ‘Foreign Extra Stout’ version which is usually bottled (or canned) where the roasted malt bitterness is quite overpowering. The temperature at which the draught version is served restrains some of the (lesser) roasted malt (and hop) bitterness so I think that if you do drink Chimay after a Guinness, you will find that the taste sensation is most satisfying. Agreed that everyone’s tastes are different.

Great idea! Old people know how to have fun too.

The German granny in Berlin had a great way of celebrating her 80th birthday. I hope we can all be physically able and emotionally williing to go out and have a blast when we hit 80 as well.

[quote=“yahoo!”]Disco Rocked by 80-Year-Old Party Girl

BERLIN (Reuters) - Staff at a popular teenage disco were stunned to find an 80-year-old having a celebratory drink and strutting her stuff on the dance floor among thousands of young people, German police say.

“The disco told police there was an old lady drinking cola and schnapps at the bar who seemed a bit confused,” said a spokesman in the western town of Oberhausen. “She was apparently shaking her hips and rocking out a bit on the dance floor too.”

Officers visited the 7,000 capacity disco in the early hours and made sure she was okay.

“She was dressed up smart, celebrating her birthday by herself and everyone thought she was very friendly,” the spokesman said Wednesday. “There’s no upper age limit there. You don’t have to show identification when you’re 80.” [/quote]
But there is no need to call the polizei.

[quote=“mmmmichael”] Oh…and there was my friend who was there, who saw a white girl turned away from the door, because she was “a fat cow”.

nice people, aren’t they.[/quote]

I find that rather hard to believe. This past ladies night I found myself sitting outside Carnigies with an old friend. We were laughing at the people standing in line, and laughing at our selves. I mean whats worse standing in line at 1am to get into a place that is too packed to to be fun, or sitting around watching people stand in line to have fun getting packed in…

Anyway, plenty of fat cows going in, and plenty of thin cows milling abou, in and around the line. In fact short cows, tall cows, and holy cow’s! were to be found, indiscriminantly, in an around Carnigies.

Some of the Fat Asses however, deserved to be tossed out on thier peckers. Thankless job that… Bouncer at Carnigies.

Chou Do Fu

P.S. It good to chew the cud with an old friend agai, which made us not so pathetic after all.

You must have money to burn to use carnegies. A pint costs LESS in London !!

Timing is everything. I find it pound for pound, NT for NT, a great bargain at happy hours and meal times. The atmosphere read (Feng Shui) is good. No, I do not mean the crowded nights, which are really only Wed, Fri, and Sats after 10pm, although those can be quite fun too. I took some Computex clients there and to the opening of the Party Room (next door to Plush) last Sat. Night. They absolutely loved carnegies vs. the on, expenseive, Coors Light at Party Room.

Chou

A pint of Guinness was NT$100 in a pub I used to drink in in north London. About NT$160 in the West End.

I’ll do as you suggest the next time I go to Carnegies. I’ll let you know what I think. Thanks for the tip!

One thing… I do let my Guinness warm up a bit before drinking it.