Carrefour chicken - Trust the label or my instincts?

Weird question. Normally chicken goes bad in 2/3 days yet this new brand of chicken breasts available at Carrefour label shows it was manufactured on the 11th of January and expires on the 20th? That’s 9 whole days of uncertainty.

Trust the label or trust my instincts?

I wouldn’t trust a label for “Chicken Breasts” that has a photo of a smiling woman holding a wooden spoon and showing her midsection. But that’s just me. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I think I’ve bought those before and noticed the same thing. The chicken breasts Costco sells also have a date of 7 days or something after packing. I assumed it’s because of the vacuum packing (and/or whatever tasty preservatives they load the chicken with).

I think they should be fine - I probably wouldn’t leave them much longer than that, but you can always sniff them before use to check and wash them to remove some of the surface bacteria.

3 Likes

I hate the vacuum-packed chicken. I’ve bought it twice at Jason’s, only to get home, open it, and smell it’s rotten. When I get chicken from the supermarkets, I can at least put my finger through the cling wrap and smell if it’s off.

2 Likes

With the Costco chicken? I’ve never had that. I’ve sometimes even used it without issue a day after the stated date (because it’s a lot of chicken and I’m often disorganised/busy). It’s good for the constitution.

1 Like

Scary. 2-3 days usually, up to 5 possible, as far as I’ve ever heard.

That’s why I immediately throw it in the freezer if not eating immediately.

1 Like

We use the Costco one a lot, seems fine.

1 Like

Whot???

4 Likes

Why not? If it smells fine, I buy it. If it smells bad, I take it to them and complain, and they remove that batch from the shelf. It’s a civic duty. I’m preventing others from getting sick.

3 Likes

It’s vacuum sealed which means it takes longer for the microbes to multiply. Plus it’s washed in chlorine (which is why you should always wash it before cooking). Doesn’t look like there’s any gas building up in the package so there’s most likely nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Forget about the expiration date. Can you even trust that it’s chicken?

You might have a smelly finger.

5 Likes

You guys dont eat out much eh? 2 to 3 days is a level if pickiness not often seen anymore. if worried, freeze. If really worried, dont shop at carrefour…

It is scary how little most of us know about our food sources. I will try and bite my tongue on this one.

1 Like

I think ‘keep my fingers to myself’ is more appropriate here.

What is your source they chlorine wash chicken here?

1 Like

OP should eat the chicken, then wash it down with a glass of concrete.

I guess they possibly do if US does it Taiwan copies.

Don’t use it for anything else!

They do.