Carrefour French cheeses

I will try visit, so good to know that Taipei still has Jason, they closed in Southern Taiwan change to different super.

1 Like

Thank you @PeiHua-Connie.

Wishing I were still able to be in the mix.

3 Mia C’est Bon branches in Kaohsiung. One in Tainan.

Yes, know that! from post above still has Jason in Taipei, but no more Jason in Southern Taiwan that I know of

1 Like

Yeah, they definitely closed some for “repairs”. But then the stores never reopened. I remember seeing that on my FB feed.

Yep. 2020 Jason’s had 25 stores. Today Mia’s has 21 stores… so four closed permanently in total. There could’ve been other closures and openings as well as Mia’s adjusts its pf of stores.

Ya, that stuff is no joke. pretty nasty really.

Never tried the carrefour brands before, I rarely go into the stores. But will try next time :slight_smile: any particularly good ones you recommend outside those 3? we like a firm cheese, regardless of type.

OK, so now only Jason in Taipei. Thanks for update. I saw a new C’bon mia, the Jason near it had closed here in Kao

1 Like

All Jason’s stores have been converted into Mia C’est bon. Nearest Jason’s is in HongKong.

2 Likes

OK ! for post above though she went to jason at 101

Yeah. She might have gone a while ago. It’s also a Mia’s now. After the takeover in 2022, branches were switched slowly. Carrefour was slow to merge the Wellcomes as well.

I kinda hoped that the merger wouldn’t go ahead. On the principle that more variety in supermarkets is better. But removing a competitor doesn’t make sense to me. In fact, at least four competitors have now been removed: Matsusei, Wellcome, RT Mart… and now Carrefour are all bought out. And still none of the supermarkets are a patch on a traditional supermarket elsewhere.

2 Likes

I noticed this too. Even at the most “western” of the branches in the upper parts of Tienmu on Zhongshan North Road—all that was on sale was processed crap.

An anecdote about acquiring cheese nowadays for a successful pizza shop in Taipei: two months advance notice to get imported cheese in now, or no cheese available. Something has shifted.

Guy

2 Likes

I’m guessing that maybe import rules may be more strict after Costco had to dump a bunch of weird cheese with illegal additives. How ‘plastic’ cheese is permitted… well, it gives me pause for thought.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like there are some pretty strong protectionist measures on dairy in Taiwan.

Big changes are coming though. The economic cooperation agreement signed with New Zealand will lead to a host of new dairy products arriving with no tariffs by 2025.

Guy

4 Likes

After WTO entry price of butter went up dramatically. I believe it was to do with harmonization of tariffs. Milk production here isn’t a loss leader as in other countries but we get the worse combined matrix of higher tariffs, no production subsidy, smaller market size, inefficient markets, controlled pricing, and higher costs. Other imports have improved but milk markets… not so much. Result rapid inflation in milk costs from 45nt per liter to nearly 100nt at times.

TW Foodies | Carrefour used to always have a couple of decent cheeses, but lately it is just processed cheese slices and cream cheese, like any other Taiwanese sup… | Facebook

Updated discussion. One day I’ll compile and research the choices.

Here is the store that’s found in Carrefour a lot. Goodwell 固德威美食生活家 for lots of cheese! I think I’ll start ordering rather than looking for Cheese in the supermarket.

2 Likes

Though cook box chain seems have more cheese as Dollars