Case of missing Yunlin kids

The summary: 14 year old brother apparently decides to take 8 year old sister on a fun excursion to Kaohsiung. That was five days ago. Kids have been supposedly spotted in Hualien and Taipei Main Station. Mother on TV in teary appeal for kids to come home. 100K reward. call: 0913161588與鄒家

Info and pics here:
tw.news.yahoo.com/%E9%9B%A2%E5%A … 36856.html

tw.news.yahoo.com/%E9%9B%B2%E6%9 … 17513.html

tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%85%84%E5%A … 36330.html

Damn.

Hope he’s looking after her, he’s old enough.
We’re going into town (Hualien) tonight, will look out for them.

Hope they can be found quickly and it’s terrible that there has to be an award in order make people help… :fume:

Didn’t see them.

Didn’t look that hard as it’s only 100k - they should’ve made it a mill.

(just kidding)

Wife said 14 year old took $4,000NT with him. This must be a happy ending story, he’s buggered off around Taiwan - that’s all.

Found in Kenting Park.

Sleeping rough, food from 7-11s. The easy life.
And they all lived happily ever after.

THE END :thumbsup:

You guys can say all you want about Taiwan but two kids traveling alone, sleeping God knows where, make it home in one piece -well, until their parents ground them for life and beyond- and the only report from the little one is “we had fun”.

Back home, they would already be on their way to Europe, after being sold to the highest bidder…

Glad they turned up OK.

The kid reminds me of Chris McCandless of Into the Wild.

Thank Goodness taiwan is an island and as long as they dont head for the hills theres a chance to get em.

But if they head into the mountains…probably wont see em again.

Glad they turned up OK. Anyone got a link to an up-to-date news link?

Damn! Glad they got home safely.

But if they were my kids that 14 year old would be getting his hide tanned.

When I heard they’d been found my first reaction was what an adventure! If it was me lord knows what kind of punishment my parents would give me.

But seriously, what a story to tell when they grow up. I only ever ran away to my friend’s house one street over and stayed the night. Def didn’t have the explorer spirit these kids did! :bravo:

Nope, they refused TV interviews.

[quote=“914”]When I heard they’d been found my first reaction was what an adventure! If it was me lord knows what kind of punishment my parents would give me.

But seriously, what a story to tell when they grow up. I only ever ran away to my friend’s house one street over and stayed the night. Def didn’t have the explorer spirit these kids did! :bravo:[/quote]

Or the stamina and know how. I think they walked into the police station after using up all their money. Around the island on 4000 nts, kid should write a book.

On the positive side, I am glad the elder brother’s independent spirit and creativity have not been crushed by The System. Hope he stays that way.

I have the feeling that they live with their grandmother, stay all day in buxiban and never see their parents. They have finally rebelled against an economic system that deprives kids of their most basic right: a loving family. Parents work up north, separated, to make money so kids can survive in the south and be raised by grandparents. Most of the time it works, but as seen, the kids yearn for more.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“914”]When I heard they’d been found my first reaction was what an adventure! If it was me lord knows what kind of punishment my parents would give me.

But seriously, what a story to tell when they grow up. I only ever ran away to my friend’s house one street over and stayed the night. Def didn’t have the explorer spirit these kids did! :bravo:[/quote]

Or the stamina and know how. I think they walked into the police station after using up all their money. Around the island on 4000 nts, kid should write a book.

On the positive side, I am glad the elder brother’s independent spirit and creativity have not been crushed by The System. Hope he stays that way.

I have the feeling that they live with their grandmother, stay all day in buxiban and never see their parents. They have finally rebelled against an economic system that deprives kids of their most basic right: a loving family. Parents work up north, separated, to make money so kids can survive in the south and be raised by grandparents. Most of the time it works, but as seen, the kids yearn for more.[/quote]
Indeed. But the “more” they yearn for in the modern economy (for many or even most people) will quite possibly exclude a gameboy/psp/Xbox/PS3, computer, a family car, home ownership, a university education etc etc. Some folks don’t have much choice.
Until Taiwanese companies stop forcing employees to work ungodly hours for a pittance, salaries don’t get increased annually, and while kindergartens etc charge usurious prices, I can’t see how most people will have the option to be home by 5pm with their kids and do the traditional Western lifestyle thing.

Yup, thinking back to my early teens on the wan. Neighbors in the upstairs aprt were never home till bout 1am sometimes. They owned a small business and husband and wife were at it full time. I mean full time often 7 days a week, 16 hours a day.

Their 3 kids were left on their own devices. The oldest went to buy food for the other two to eat for dinner. Their parents were never around. Far as I know they all turned out ok.

Yes well sorry to say that the being home at 5pm in the west is also a pipedream and doesn’t happen.

Yes well sorry to say that the being home at 5pm in the west is also a pipedream and doesn’t happen.[/quote]
Unless you work for the government, of course.