Chao Chien-ming's detention arouses envy in China

No, we don’t need anyone from HK there… we might ask someone from Iceland or Finland first…

anyway, since HK is not a country, I don’t think I should be even compare HK to Taiwan. HK is leeching China in ways that the people that live there shouldn’t be proud.

The problem in Taiwan is the same problem of Portugal - There are many rules, but no one to enforce them. And if there is someone enforcing the law, they are just putting the money in their pockets. So, now you understand why I know Taiwan so well, even if I am living here for less than 1 year? I’ve seen it all before.

And let us not forget that most of the Taiwanese does not have to suffer from the global stupidity that affects the public workers. Only the poor furreiners have to suffer from them.

After watching the World Cup soccer match between Portugal and the Netherlands, I have become a self appointed expert in Portual politics.

Too many underhanded plays, too many yellow cards.

There should have been more reds cards handed out in the beginning. None of this warning yellow card that no one cares about. Just the red card. Harsh and heavy handed justice to bring order.

That is what Taiwan needs now, a red card to be issued to CSB.

Well, Singapore is only a tiny bit below Iceland and Finland on that list. I’m sure we can find some qualified Chinese gentleman from Singapore that’d make an excellent president for Portugal, really help you guys turn around the sad situation you have going on over there.

still, I would prefer one from the two other countries - they would look better in the picture, and they both live in democracies, not exactly what we have in Singapore…

“Singaporean politics have been dominated by the People’s Action Party (PAP) since the country’s independence in 1965.[11] Foreign political analysts and several opposition parties including the Workers’ Party of Singapore and the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) have argued that Singapore is a de facto one-party state. Many consider the form of government in Singapore to be closer to authoritarianism such as illiberal democracy or procedural democracy rather than true democracy. Reporters Without Borders ranked Singapore 140th out of 167 countries in its 2005 Worldwide Press Freedom Index. It has also been alleged that the PAP employs censorship, gerrymandering by the Elections Department and the filing of civil suits against the opposition for libel or slander to impede their success. Several former and present members of the opposition, including Francis Seow, J.B. Jeyaretnam and Chee Soon Juan perceive the Singaporean courts as favourable towards the government and the PAP due to a lack of separation of powers. Nevertheless, there are a few cases where the courts ruled in favour of the opposition.[12]” from Wikipedia

Sorry, we had allready 50 years of authoritarian rule, no need for a single day more…

Anyway, and looking at the numbers from Transparency International, the Corruption Perceptions Index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index) is growing for Taiwan, while is decreasing in China. So, to all the people who are so worried with the corruption in Taiwan, why don’t they go fight it in China? Or they are afraid of being arrested/mulled/killed by the authorities?[/url]

Perhaps people in Singapore don’t value the kind of chaos that Taiwan’s democracy affords. I know of a few well to do Taiwanese that sent their kids to Singapore for a “better” education.

If there was anything on Tawian worth investing in, don’t you think the business community on Taiwan would have invested in it already. But look at Taiwan, the best and brightest of whatever political stripe have sent the future of Taiwan overseas for an undergraduate education.

Look at some of the posters here.

You maybe critical of Singapore, but from an objective perspective, besides Malaysia, what other country has Singapore as a military objective in the near future. Singapore is not the enemy of USA, PRC, or Europe. Unlike Taiwan. Like their ex-president once said “Small Countries need to behave as a small country.”

Even the KMT grasp this concept long ago. The DPP behaves as if it still controls the mainland and all of the USA troops combined sometimes.

I know none. Why couldn’t they make it into the top schools in America as is the norm for Rich Taiwanese Parents? Hrm?

I[quote=“ac_dropout”]f there was anything on Tawian worth investing in, don’t you think the business community on Taiwan would have invested in it already. But look at Taiwan, the best and brightest of whatever political stripe have sent the future of Taiwan overseas for an undergraduate education.

Look at some of the posters here.[/quote]
Right. Are you part of the crowd too?

Singapore isn’t exactly a major piece of strategic land.

Um, is that why we have all these KMT radicals that claim that ONE CHINA IS ROC! and all that funny stuff. I’ve never seen the DPP claim to own China. What are you TVBS? Referring to China as Inland, Mainland etc? Oh right, you do think that we’re united with China.

I think Singapore’s a wonderful example of a prosperous, harmonious, and clean country where her citizens live contently. I would be pretty pleased if (in most ways) China eventually developed into something that looked quite a bit like Singapore.

I doubt you meet them with your animosity towards Chinese. Plus you need to hang out with the oversea Chinese crowd to meet them. Can you get over your TI superiority trip long enough to mingle with fellow Chinese?

That I am. And I can tell you there is not much worth investing in Taiwan at this time, unless you’re cozy with CSB inner circle. Then insider trade to your hearts content, that is until recently. So I stand by my first point, one is better off investing their money else where these days.

Depends who you are I guess. Land is scarce, unless you’re God or part of a billion dollar land reclamation project.

But just think about where Singapore is situated, next to Malyasia and Indonesia. Two place that hate Chinese more than your average TI nut. These people blame Chinese for all their economic problems and don’t think twice about slicing open a pregnant Chinese woman belly open at a bus stop to get that point across.

So how did Singapore become so friendly with the PRC and USA, while avoiding going to war with Malaysia or Indonesia? What did Deng Xiao Ping see in this island city-state that made him do a 180 in PRC domestic policy in the 70’s? Why is cctang so full of praise for that island?

Are TI supporter just a little to rash to call Singapore LP and snot?

You do understand that behind HK, Singapore is the considered to be next major finacial hub in Southeast Asia. I’m sure someone as worldly as yourself also understands that last place foriegners want to park their money is in Taiwan right now.

Well, TSMC is growing bigger and bigger, Nvidia bought ULi, and some german pharmaceutical are considering to open in Taiwan. My company spends around US$60M+ a year in Taiwan so there is a lot of business here.

Singapore sits on the Malacca Strait, which is a whole damn lot more strategically important than the Taiwan Strait.

mmm, not really.

The Taiwan Strait is important because it is a delimitative factor for China, as well as Taiwan is working as a shield for US. China military expansion is dependent on Taiwan. Also, because Taiwan sits really close to China, that makes easy to monitor Chinese military, making a huge part of China unavailable for secret ops.

The Malacca Strait is important economically, because it is the connection between the Pacific and the Indic oceans. However, plans for building pipelines in Myanmar, Indonesia and China could halve it’s importance, as many of the vessels who cross it are oil tankers.

A sad day in Taiwan history, Chao is out on bail.

He better start getting used to smaller quarters hehehehehehehe. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?ID=85859&GRP=A

still, 3000 more to put on jail, don’t you think?