"Cheers" pub party invitation fiasco

Or “How not to do an opening party”.

So we get invitations for some sort of opening party for the imaginatively named “Cheers” pub which is above Carnegies. My mate, who apparently knows the guy who runs the place, has six invitations. Free bar, nicely printed up invitation, starts at 9:00.

Five of us roll up on the Friday night, invitations in hand, walk all the way up the steel fire-escape style stairway to the door. There’s a few young looking staff on the door, and you can see inside, looks all right and not too bust, good.

But we can’t get in. Not allowed in because they’re “full”. Now the staff who are saying this are at the same time letting loads of Far More Important People Than Us into the place. I waited for about four minutes and watched a good twenty people allowed in past the fools standing queued at the door.

The staff were fairly rude, utterly uninterested in anything other than their own importance, and I just threw my worthless invitation down on the table and walked away. The rest of my party followed suit after braving it out for another few minutes. On the way down I noticed a rather large queue of fellow deluded fools waiting to get in.

What is the point of printing up invitations to a bloody party if you aren’t going to let the bloody people in? Anyway, “Cheers” for fucking me about and making me feel like a twat. I now have a fairly clear idea of your attitude to your “customers”.

The people you had on the door on Friday were some of the most snotty-nosed up-their-own-arses little oiks I have ever come across. It made my skin crawl to watch them, they were like little kids in their parents’ clothes. They knew that they were the most important people in the place, and how tedious it must have been for them to lower themselves to deal with “customers”. It’s just been a long time since I’ve seen such snobbery. And by the way, I didn’t get into an exchange with them. I never spoke a single word to any of the staff there.

I presume the reason for the two tier system is to inflate the egos of those selected to get in and create an impression of desirability for the premises, but if people are going to get treated like cattle at your opening night party then they’re not likely to turn up again are they?

What a pointless and rather bemusing waste of time. Obviously we all went to Carnegies and spent a fortune on vodka red bull.

Hang on, it’s been built on top of Carnegies?

HG

Is it above the piano bar Sex & City next to Carnegies? I saw the sign this evening. Was curious about it.

So like, this is an xBC/overseas Chinese/Taiwanese bar pub place?

Well it’s in the same building. It’s not the Sex & City place either. Given the attitude of the staff I saw and the people jumping the queue, I would say it’s a club for snobs run by snobs, as many of these places are of course, and not the sort of place I would be interested in. Anyway, I guess I’ll never know.

The fact its called “Cheers” is enough to keep me away.

Isn’t Cheers supposed to be the place “where everyone knows your name”? :wink:

“everybody”. I’ll be whistling that all day now… :unamused:

Norm.

First thought, you guys were talking about the Cheers Pub at the Grand Hyatt, fine then there are now two places called Cheers in this town.

This one is followed with the word “nini” (whatever that means). I guess that is how Miranda felt at being rejected. We happily took him in and soothed his ire though.

Cliff

This one is followed with the word “nini” (whatever that means). I guess that is how Miranda felt at being rejected. We happily took him in and soothed his ire though.

Cliff[/quote]
Are you sure it is “nini” not “nono”?

Cliff[/quote]
Are you sure it is “nini” not “nono”?[/quote]

Maybe “Nini a Nono” would be catchier?

Sam

Thanks for the heads up Miranda. I know exactly how you feel and your story is enough to make me steer clear of said Cheers-nini (or whatever).

I had a similar experience once and I never EVER went back.

[quote=“irishstu”]Thanks for the heads up Miranda. I know exactly how you feel and your story is enough to make me steer clear of said Cheers-nini (or whatever).

I had a similar experience once and I never EVER went back.[/quote]

If Miranda’s experience coupled with a fear of fire escapes has put you off, may I tentatively suggest trying the perfectly good bar on the ground floor of the same building. It has both Guinness and Murphy’s on draught. I won’t mention it as I would hate to be accused of hijacking another bar’s thread. :smiling_imp:

Cheers…erm, well Slainte then.

Frasier

[quote=“TpeBob”][quote=“irishstu”]Thanks for the heads up Miranda. I know exactly how you feel and your story is enough to make me steer clear of said Cheers-nini (or whatever).

I had a similar experience once and I never EVER went back.[/quote]

If Miranda’s experience coupled with a fear of fire escapes has put you off, may I tentatively suggest trying the perfectly good bar on the ground floor of the same building. It has both Guinness and Murphy’s on draught. I won’t mention it as I would hate to be accused of hijacking another bar’s thread. :smiling_imp:

Cheers…erm, well Slainte then.

Frasier[/quote]

I have, and will continue to, sample the delights of said bar as often as I can (unfortunately I don’t get out much). I have had nothing but good experiences there.

Funny enough I remember watching the last episode of Cheers in the pub of the same name on Shida road many moons ago.

I thought you’d got out of that habit after you took the “How To Improve My Social Skills” course with the OU. :s :smiley:

Keith

Keith? Did you mean Cliff? You’re right about my misquote; it is “everybody” and now I’ve got the damn song stuck in my head, too. Quick hum something else…Sweeeet Caroline, Da-da-da, the good times never seemed so good, where everybody know your name… :doh:

Cliff[/quote]

It’s just a misspelling of “ninny,” as in, “Cheers, ninny.”

Nah. I had already used Cliff. Keith is related to the erm, ‘moon’ comment. Bit abstract, I know. Good indication of how the mind is working today though.

Ch…oops.

Roger

Ah, I see. I won’t get fooled again. :wink: