Chi-ghanistan

Not really. In the long term it lets rogue nations and dictators know that we can take them on and down at will. NWO since 9/11/90. I just happen to be reading a book on HWBush. It’s what he desired from the first Gulf War. It’s what we just did in Afghanistan.

I hope so, but my gut tells me one despot’s downfall just leads to the rise of another. Maybe it’s better to have stability, even from the hand of a cruel tyrant, and let good things slowly happen from within.

That is some wishful thinking I’d say. The End Of History never suggested that despots would cease to exist only that they would be put down by the all time champ.

I have a different view. I think the Taliban and all those radical groups in that region have been shown that they can survive if they play it smart. Don’t provoke the US directly, and they will probably never come back again.

Or do what they know we’d like them to do and drag China through the mud and they’ll get a little summin summin under the tree for Xmas.

2 Likes

Aren’t the current Afghan military leaders mostly from the north? I understand why they’d have trouble along the Pakistani border, but it’s surprising they would be ineffective up north as well.

1 Like

A bit long, but an interesting summary if you’re interested in the topic

I skimmed but was missing the relevant word “lithium”. Among other precious deposits, that’s what China is interested in and what dictates the China/Afghanistan relationship.

It’ll cost them that much to get it out of the ground.

And Afghanistan is sitting on deposits estimated to be worth $1 trillion or more, including what may be the world’s largest lithium reserves — if anyone can get them out of the ground.

Afghanistan’s geography is like Mexico’s. Inaccessible mountains, and zero infrastructure. Good luck

1 Like

OK, doesn’t negate anything in the article though. But yeah, Afganistam has a lot of mineral wealth

Security, and Xinjiang, do matter for the CCP

China builds roads and rails good. Russian needs them and Afghanistan needs them. Could work out for them.

Something tells me it won’t likely work out for the Afghans…

It’ll be interesting to see who is cleverer. The Reds and the Yanks couldn’t make heads nor tails of the place.

1 Like

Not invading is a good start

But we’ll see how much the Taliban go after the Uighers in their territory

1 Like